Rogers SA8300HD PVR recording not working

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Rogers SA8300HD PVR recording not working

Good morning all,

I got a problem with my SA8300HD PVR box with recording, it simply can't. I had it for almost 2.5 years now and half year more I can opt to own for $1. At first when I signed for the cable TV, I was told that it will be a free Nextbox 3.0 and opt to own after 3 years. Instead when the technician come to setup my services, he showed me the SA8300HD and claimed that it functions just identical to the nextbox 3.0 as they don't have that in stock. Since I am no expert on these so I accepted the claim. It works fine until recently the recording function stop working. I can still watch TV but I just can't simply access the recorded shows nor record anything new or manage my recording. When i pressed the "LIST" button or "REC" button on the remote, it simply does nothing.

So I called and customer service told me to bring it back to the store directly for a fix. And then I went to the store, they told me they can't fix it nor exchange for a new one since they don't carry the SA8300HD anymore. And they even told me my ONLY OPTION would be returning the SA8300HD and get their new PVR with a price $17.50 monthly and opt to own for $1 again in 3 years. I am very disappointed with what I am told since I thought the would at least carry some warranty for that. As I don't want to fall victim to any of these rip off so now I am stuck with the SA8300HD and it simply just work as a TV box and can't record nothing. I am wondering if anyone out there experiencing the same problem and care to shed some light on this issue. I am about to call rogers again and see what they can do after christmas as I am not ready to let rogers customer service let me down during this festive holidays.

Thanks ahead for your replies!

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Rogers SA8300HD PVR recording not working

sounds like a fried hard drive.

You could try a reformat to see if it works.....don't have the steps in front of me, but i'm sure somebody can post them.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would agree that it sounds like a dead drive.

The nb3 is on a different pricing structure...

I wonder if they have a NB2, if they can do a straight swap, with no extra $, continue on with the rent to own thing.

I'm an Advisor

kwaneowong:

It does sound like the 8300's hard drive has failed. I have one that is almost 11 years old and its hard drive failed about a year ago. I replaced it and it's been working fine ever since.

I'm confused. The Nextbox 3 didn't exist 2.5 years ago. It was released in August of 2013. The technician certainly should not have told you the 8300 and the Nextbox 3 have the same capabilities, as they are very different. For example, the 8300 can only record 2 programs at a time, while the Nextbox 3 can record 8. They must have been trying to get rid of the last 8300's when they installed yours instead of giving you a Nextbox 2. Regardless, if the 8300 is being rented from Rogers (i.e. you don't own it), it seems to me they are obligated to replace it with something else at no charge to you beyond whatever you're paying now. I would call back and escalate this to a manager for starters and see what happens.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I remember my daughter got a rental 8300HD about the time the Nextbox 3 was coming our and I was surprised it wasn't a Nextbox 2.0, but I suppose Rogers was clearing the 8300s out. I've had a refurbished 8300HD for over a year and they're solid, reliable machines.They'll last as long as the hard drive, which can be 10 years or more. Unfortunately, the older style IDE hard drives they have are now obsolete and hard to find, but you can use a newer SATA drive with the right adapter.

If the OP's PVR is a rental, Rogers should be replacing it with a Nextbox 2.0 because that would be the equivalent. The Nextbox 3.0 would be an upcharge.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

Before returning the unit, try these two procedures....

"Total Reset. From AVS - vegggas:

1. I don't think this is common knowledge, but it could save many users a lot of grief. Most failed units can be revived with total reset performed by user, depending on failure type. Instead of replacing unit and losing your shows, try this trick as last (or first) resort. This is known to reset unit no longer displaying Video, unable to lock on to one/both tuners, unable to read Hard Drive, or no longer able to get a download (display counting or hunting).
  2. Complete reset can be done by removing power and all connections for an extended amount of time. This means remove power cable, coax cable(s), eSATA cable, everything, so it can fully discharge capacitors and memory. This can take anywhere from 4 - 24 hours (although it MIGHT work in less than 30 Min), so pick a time that you are not going to be using unit, like overnight and while at work.
  3. After leaving it disconnected overnight, repower it (but don't turn it on) with just the basic connections (no eSATA) and let it sit until it gets a full download, which could take a long time. Basic OS download should be complete once you see time, or dot (depending on your settings), appear on front panel, usually within 3-7 minutes. IPG may take up to an hour, but unit could be turned on at this point.
  4. If it works, unpower unit and reconnect as normal, consider yourself lucky you didn't have to swap it out."

If that doesn't work, try the reformat....

"Last Resort (Reformat). If for some reason you can't get STB to do what you want and you've rebooted it by unplugging it, etc., this is a "last resort" item - say just before taking unit back, you can try reformatting the HDD. The format operation resets all data on the DVR, including all recordings, preferences and scheduled recordings. It is a "factory fresh" reset.

When doing the format procedure, there are times where it won't always "take" and will have to be redone again. The procedure is to get the mail light blinking from the remote control by holding down the pause button. Once blinking do not press anything else except the page down (page -) button on the remote three times while watching the display. The display should say something like HDD-1 and then HDD-2 or HDD-F. Once on the setting you want (typically the third press) leave it alone and put the remote down. In a few minutes, the DVR will reboot and reformat on it's own. Once complete in about 10 to 15 minutes (depending on RDC and FDC signal level quality) the unit will be available to be turned on, but it's best to leave it off and come back at a later time after it has completely downloaded all of the guide data and info.

1. Press and hold PAUSE until Mail led is lit.
  2. Press PAGE down or (-), and then press LIST three times.
  3. Turn box off. When turned back on, formatting will begin"

I Plan to Stick Around

Hello everybody,

Lately I've been experiencing problems with recording some shows, more precisely the show get recorded but when I want to play it back, it jumps to an older recording and it plays that one. The only way to play the new recording is to delete the old one and then I can play the new one without any problems...Another thing: it doesn't happen everytime, some recordings are just fine whereas other are screwed up as described above. Anybody else has experienced this kind of issue, is out there any solution for the problem?

Thanks a lot.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I got mine, refurbished, almost 2 years ago from Shopping Channel. Working great so far, touch wood. We'll see what happens after the 2-year warranty expires. I do have a spare hard drive in case that craps out. The only time I've had trouble with recordings is when the signal for a particular channel was intermittent, such as west coast timeshifting and once on CHCH Hamilton.  Rogers opened a ticket on that, but never investigated.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario