Rogers New 4K Box Lacks 2 HDMI Outputs to Accommodate Older A/V Systems

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I hear that the new 4K box only has one HDMI output and most likely the upcoming PVR will be the same.

An example of equipment using this priniciple would be the new Samsung UHD Blu-ray player - it has 2 HDMI outputs, specifically to split the audio off.

Would this powered splitter (or similar - I welcome suggestions) work?

https://www.pulse-eight.com/p/177/1x2-hdmi-20a-hdmi-20b-splitter-with-hdcp-22-support

Peter
Toronto
Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Rogers New 4K Box Lacks 2 HDMI Outputs to Accomodate Older A/V Systems

Hello @pmcsplaza

That is correct. The current 4K box has only one HDMI. Most likely the next 4K PVR might have 2 HDMI ports but nothing can be said for sure until the unit is out.

That splitter should do the job but I would suggest calling into Rogers tech support to see for sure before purchasing.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Do the 4K channels provide for HD audio - like Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA?  If they don't and they utilize Dolby Digital, then you can simply use an optical audio cable (TOSLink) directly to your AVR from the STB.   Or you could go "through" the TV.  HDMI to TV, optical out from the TV to the AVR, using the appropriate settings in the TV to use the "external speaker" (or similar) option in the TV.  Most TVs now allow for passthrough of Dolby Digital Signals to the optical output.

If you feel you must have an HDMI splitter, then you need to make sure that the splitter has the HDMI specifications required for 4K & HDR - I believe that's HDMI 2.1 or 2.2.  Many splitters I've seen on-line are not compatible with 4K yet.

Thanks, it's all moot anyway.    I see that they insist that they have to install the equipment anyway, so I may have to get them to re-do the cabling here as most of it is buried under a ton of equipment.

I would of course check thoroughly before venturing into the "splitter after the fact" territory.

Thanks as always.

Peter
Toronto

@57 wrote:

If you feel you must have an HDMI splitter, then you need to make sure that the splitter has the HDMI specifications required for 4K & HDR - I believe that's HDMI 2.1 or 2.2.  Many splitters I've seen on-line are not compatible with 4K yet.

You are getting the HDMI and HDCP numbers mixed.   UHD requires HDMI 2.0a & HDCP 2.2.

The splitter I linked is compatible with that standard.

Peter
Toronto
Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 in conversation