Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

@VivienM wrote:

@Gdkitty wrote:

1) According to the tech, he said wired is an option.  I have not tested it yet though.  its on my many list of things to do for these boxes Smiley Tongue

2) Remote - No.. as far as I am aware.. they is NO IR Smiley Sad  That its internet connected, may be methods/apps that could work?  But IR harmony may be out of luck.  it looks like all the X1 stuff (comcasts old boxes and their new ones), are all RF now too.  Seems like the norm Smiley Sad

4) I agree.. the single unit, is a little worrysome as a single point of failure. But in some ways can understand now.
That many peoples houses, mine included, is not wired for ethernet.. and even the coax barely can keep a clean signal.  Going to a wifi setup and all in one.. can help eliminate some of these worries.  One connection in, going to one spot, no splitters, etc to worry about, etc.

5) other than the TV display, i havent noticed any other differences in the home phone.  Mind you dont have anything weird on it (phone based security system, etc) either which may act different.

2) WHAT?!? I actually had included that item as an afterthought when I edited my post because when I googled, every Comcast box I could find seemed to have IR. If there is no IR on this and no other way to control it with a Harmony hub, then I hate to say it, but Rogers and Comcast may have to pry my Cisco STBs out of my cold dead hands. I never thought I'd say that about Navigatr.

I'm sure the new remote is amazing, but hey, if I can (and do) control my Apple TVs with a harmony, I should be able to control this thing as well.

4) Sure, but... this means that a bug in this new magical unified box takes everything down. Instability with the TV product, sure, I can live with, but my Internet going up and down like an early firmware CGN3ACSMR on a Casa CMTS would be catastrophic. 

5) What about voicemail? Is there a web interface to retrieve voicemails? Are they emailed to you? Etc.

What I am starting to learn about this thing is that there is a certain radical vision behind it. (Interestingly, I don't think Comcast or Shaw had that kind of radical vision at all.) Wireless, meshy, cloudy, voice-controlled, etc. - i.e. what you get when 50-year-old executives try to design something that stereotypical cord-cutting millennials might find cool. A big part of the questions I, and likely others, have is how well this thing plays with things that are outside that radical vision (e.g. Harmony remotes, bridge mode, etc). 

And that will always be the struggle.
They may never make 100% of the people happy 100% of the time.

Look at ALL their cable subscribers, what portion of them have/use a harmony remote.  Even if up to 10%? (and probably being liberal on that number), is it really worth them worrying that this box may not work with them? I mean if they could, sure.. but would it be worth not going with the newest box for their platform, etc, just because it might effect that smaller %?

I am not trying to be mean.. but trying to look at this from the more global perspective.
The majority of their users, I guarantee use everything just out of the box.  (Heck, out of let say 30 odd friends that I regularly communicate with, they have their TV, and cable/sat/stream box.. and thats it (maybe other than a game system).. No AVR, no other fancy equipment.. maybe 3-4 of them have something else)

But it leaves the 10% frustrated sometimes.  I normally is in the 10% often.  Had to re-configure my network here again to get everything up and running nicely (extra switch, etc). Took me a whole day to get everything back up and the way it was, all connected, etc again Smiley Tongue

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@VivienM

Sorry, forgot to answer the phone stuff.

The phone stuff, was seamless.

Apparently it has to be 'ported', so it is changing system of some form? Maybe?

But beyond that?  It just works, and didnt have to change anything.
Our voicemail which we had before, is still there.. still had the same saved messages, same password.

Notification, etc are all still done via the rogers home and away voicemail page.
(where you set up email settings to send you a notification, copy of the message, etc)

Makes me think with the same back end.. that it may NOT be changing platforms/how it sends?
It may be identical to the type of system as before, its just built in to the modem?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty wrote:

And that will always be the struggle.
They may never make 100% of the people happy 100% of the time.

Look at ALL their cable subscribers, what portion of them have/use a harmony remote.  Even if up to 10%? (and probably being liberal on that number), is it really worth them worrying that this box may not work with them? I mean if they could, sure.. but would it be worth not going with the newest box for their platform, etc, just because it might effect that smaller %?

I am not trying to be mean.. but trying to look at this from the more global perspective.
The majority of their users, I guarantee use everything just out of the box.  (Heck, out of let say 30 odd friends that I regularly communicate with, they have their TV, and cable/sat/stream box.. and thats it (maybe other than a game system).. No AVR, no other fancy equipment.. maybe 3-4 of them have something else)

But it leaves the 10% frustrated sometimes.  I normally is in the 10% often.  Had to re-configure my network here again to get everything up and running nicely (extra switch, etc). Took me a whole day to get everything back up and the way it was, all connected, etc again Smiley Tongue

And the 10% is usually willing to pay more and/or is what they would call an 'influencer', i.e. someone whom others in their social circle trust for advice about this kind of product. 

The thing is, I don't think this was architected based on the comfort level/preferences of a majority of their users. If it was, they'd be using big, legacy-compatible boxes like Comcast and Shaw. Tech comes in, plugs new box into the coax jack, backend is switched, tech goes home. Much easier to get working right than something that is expected to be deployed over wifi with mesh networking and whatnot.

This is someone's idea of 'cool', 'modern' and 'futurist', i.e. how do you convince 25-year-olds in massively-overpriced housing to spend $200/month on a cable subscription. This thing is designed to scream "not your grandparents' cable TV"... and in the process, they dropped 'legacy' features (coax jacks, apparently IR, etc.) until you have a box that looks like some tiny generic android TV box.

I Plan to Stick Around

I will agree with others you can't talk ignite TV without talking internet and home phone.

One thing to note on the home phone my tech told me one big difference is that there's no longer a battery backed option for phone like the previous offering so if the power is out then phone doesn't work. Same as other VoIP offerings but pretty big difference between this and the old Rogers home phone.

The speed I'm getting isn't great either, For 500u I get ~230MBps download 15MBps Up when on the Ignite modems WiFi, when I'm on my Google WiFi (Cable wired from Ignite modem to Google WiFi) I get ~50MBps down. Kinda odd.

My feeling about this whole not working with Harmony ETC. Is that the people who are getting this service right now are those like me/us who are a bit more techy and like new stuff, same people who are most likely to have some sort of automation/universal remote etc.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JeromeM wrote:
One thing to note on the home phone my tech told me one big difference is that there's no longer a battery backed option for phone like the previous offering so if the power is out then phone doesn't work. Same as other VoIP offerings but pretty big difference between this and the old Rogers home phone.

As mentioned in this or another thread, it's pretty easy to plug whatever's necessary ("modem", cordless phone base, etc) into a small UPS. It's recommended for this sort of equipment anyway.  I've found that when there is a power failure, my "old" Rogers home phone doesn't work anyway. This appears to be due to the outside infrastructure being "down" and perhaps not enough battery backup there, as my "old" modem remains powered up (battery and plugged into UPS), but not all the lights are on, just some indicating power, but no "reception", so the problem is the signal not getting to my home. Perhaps this is a local issue that I need to pursue with Rogers the next time I have a power failure and can check things out in more detail.

Most people now have a cell phone they can use in an emergency, if necessary.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/X1-IPTV-service/m-p/423260#M46555 See point 4, etc.

My internet also goes down in a power failure, even though I have everything plugged into another UPS for my computer, so the Rogers infrastructure battery backup seems to be the issue.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@VivienM

Not trying to say your wrong.  Hopefully your not taking it that way. Smiley Happy

Just going off information, and how/whats going on, etc.

Not sure about shaw.. but Comcast is moving away from their older boxes as it is too.
I knew they were moving with a new one, wasnt sure on which.  But it actually looks like they are going to the exact same boxes as rogers.  I was looking at older comcast internet posts which looked like a different box, but going by this, they are identical.
https://cdn.comcast.com/-/media/Images/www_xfinity_com/TV/X1/scm-Half_Image-5.jpg?rev=b84c2572-5d05-...

(though it looks like comcast has moved to a newer version of the remote)

So comcast's going to be going wifi connection as well.
Looks to be that they are doing cloud PVR as well (Only 500gb of storage tho.. ew)

Looks like they are using the same MODEM as well,  (though using different mesh it appears)

While i am sure that Rogers is hoping people will jump at this, saying its the 'best thing since sliced bread'.
There will never be a 100% adoption rate (well, unless its forced Smiley Tongue).  
Heck, there are people who complain STILL about not having analog TV.   People who wont move away from SARA on their 8300s, etc.
There will hopefully be the ability for a while now still to use the current stuff.

But rogers usually has always been 'ONE STEP BEHIND' with their boxes, services, features, etc.. always struggling.
They have the chance to be on the 'leading end' so to speak now with some of the newest stuff.  (instead of using say older LEGACY comcast boxes).  But unfortunately that comes with some of the side effects.. (Like the MFG not doing IR).

Again, not saying your wrong though.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

My internet also goes down in a power failure, even though I have everything plugged into another UPS for my computer, so the Rogers infrastructure battery backup seems to be the issue.

That is odd @57

Generally, I remain up during a power outage.  When my house goes out.. my UPS keeps my modem & wifi up.. and my laptop runs on battery.  I am able to still connect to the internet just fine.

Your local node must not have a battery backup (or its failed, etc)?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Though.. this may give some hope?

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/harmony-smart-control-to-new-x1-cable-box-ax014an...

The model they specify.. is in the same series/company I believe as the one rogers is using. 
They are talking about the same RF remote..
So maybe it does have an IR port?  though I am not really seeing it...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Or the backup battery has been stolen.....  The local node should stay running in the event of a power failure.  If it doesn't, call tech support and ask the CSR to check the battery status for that node, just to see what the status check turns up.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

For those interested, check out the other thread.

Got the magic password to get into the wifi setup screen. Smiley Happy

Going to take a bunch of pictures tonight.. maybe not everything? But what I can.  
maybe start a guide/what each screen is/does.