Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

I'll maybe later tonight give a try with the wired connection..
See if the box comes up with anything different. (as some screens the display will show a wifi symbol, so might show something different?)
Problem would be that the box is set to connect to my wifi.. so would keep maybe trying that?? I dont know.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just a quick note to let posters in this thread know that I have found very little useful information in the thread.

1. Many people spent a large number of posts complaining about the $150 install fee. We get it, we don't need lots of posts on that topic - one suffices.

2. Many recent posts have been discussing alternate installations. Although there are some geeks who enjoy that, why can't we discuss how Rogers installs it and how it works instead.

I'm sure that lots of people would far prefer to understand the features of IgniteTV vs Navigatr, etc.  For example, I don't recall seeing a reply regarding the first paragraph of post 10 (link below), although I could have missed it with all the WiFi/Ethernet discussions (which perhaps could use their own thread?)

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Rogers-Ignite-TV-Installation-Experiences-Questions/m-p/4235...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

With this service.. its hard NOT to talk about the internet.. at least partially.
At least in how/what is set up with, what was installed, whats needed, etc.  
Since its vital to the service.

I'll see if I can make another thread right now, to cover stuff like that, so this thread can keep at least to the core standard installs, which the majority of standard users will be using.

I havent got 'skip' as a word to work, but you can say "fast forward" X period.

I hope to towards the end of this week, do a more in depth review of the guide itself, pictures, etc.
I just dont have the time right this second to.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Great idea @Gdkitty

In this new world model, it is not just TV and standard installs, although currently, the range of what one can do is limited because this is in my view, the soft rollout that was discussed to go to a limited number of customers after the first soft rollout to limited employees, then to all employees.

It makes sense that they keep the options very restricted in the early stages, but of course, there are going to be people who are going to push outside the umbrella of the basic install and layout, because you can't avoid things like alternative monitored security systems, choices to maintain an existing VOIP, bridging, alternative Mesh systems and routers to support server or NAS systems or the preference by some to have the full internal speed capability of their internal LAN's they have put in place.

So, yes two threads - one for basic installs - but note, I only see three installs here so far, you are certainly doing as I would expect and evaluating as much as you can and pushing the limits of the system and providing your thoughts.

As for the complaints and discussion about install and self install, they probably belong in back in the older X1 discussion, as these are future possibilities, as well as alternative application and casting devices, like Roku or Apple TV. 

And the other reality is that for anyone thinking about this system, or has got this system, it is all so intermeshed the thoughts that will flow - what is the impact on Internet, what is the future, what are the limitations, how do I use the phone, TV, Internet, setting up all my devices, how to change the IP addressing, and so on, along with complaints about pricing, once you start talking about your experience, it all just flows.

Definitely interesting information so far on 4 installs, and questions of a whole range, some answered, some not.

Keep it coming.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@57 wrote:

Just a quick note to let posters in this thread know that I have found very little useful information in the thread.

1. Many people spent a large number of posts complaining about the $150 install fee. We get it, we don't need lots of posts on that topic - one suffices.

2. Many recent posts have been discussing alternate installations. Although there are some geeks who enjoy that, why can't we discuss how Rogers installs it and how it works instead.

I'm sure that lots of people would far prefer to understand the features of IgniteTV vs Navigatr, etc.  For example, I don't recall seeing a reply regarding the first paragraph of post 10 (link below), although I could have missed it with all the WiFi/Ethernet discussions (which perhaps could use their own thread?)

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Rogers-Ignite-TV-Installation-Experiences-Questions/m-p/4235...

Maybe the forums should be reorganized to create an Ignite TV section. 

Here is the way I see it (as someone who is mostly waiting for feedback from @Gdkitty and others before making a decision about whether to pay a lot more money to be an early adopter of this) - this is NOT just a new TV service. The new TV service portion of this, frankly, is the most boring part of this - you can google and see what Comcast's X1 software is like, either on Comcast or Shaw's BlueSky. 

Then there are the radical aspects of this, which in my view are:

- the all-wireless (allegedly) nature of this product. I'm in a condo where I can pick up over 20-30 5GHz networks (oh, how I miss the days before Bell/Rogers started handing out dual-band gateways), so the idea of TV going from coax to wifi is a serious concern. I very, very, very much want to know what wired options still exist.

Also, Rogers is heavily pushing the new remote, but... what about for people who have Harmony remotes? Do these tiny modern boxes still have IR receivers? Etc. 

- the new Internet product, which may or may not have the bridge mode option the way it used to be (and which may or may not interfere with the new TV world), and which, frankly, is a main reason why I am using Rogers and not either of the fiber alternatives available in my building.

- the new unified modem thing. That's a huge single point of failure, say, if the firmware has the same bugs that some people experienced with the first firmware releases on the CODA-4582.

- the new home phone product, which seems to be more like VoIP carriers than the old RHP that was designed to emulate an old-fashioned land line as far as possible. I know they don't offer TV call display (awesome feature); I have no idea what the options for voicemail management, say, in the new world are.

... and maybe other things too. It's important to remember that when you move over, your account dies... and is then reborn in the new Comcast-powered world. Who knows what other differences lurk out there as a result.

I, certainly, have found basically zero information about those radical aspects out there. It is worth noting that most, if not all, of those radical aspects are different in Comcast or Shawland, so we can't import knowledge from there. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

I havent got 'skip' as a word to work, but you can say "fast forward" X period.

You likely never will. I have an old DVD recorder with a "CM SKIP" button on the remote that skips 30 seconds per press. Once I got familiar with the different programs I was recording I knew exactly how many presses the commercials needed. But I believe that feature was frowned upon by the broadcast industry and disappeared. You're lucky you're getting it now under the guise of Fast Forward.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1) According to the tech, he said wired is an option.  I have not tested it yet though.  its on my many list of things to do for these boxes Smiley Tongue

2) Remote - No.. as far as I am aware.. they is NO IR Smiley Sad  That its internet connected, may be methods/apps that could work?  But IR harmony may be out of luck.  it looks like all the X1 stuff (comcasts old boxes and their new ones), are all RF now too.  Seems like the norm Smiley Sad

4) I agree.. the single unit, is a little worrysome as a single point of failure. But in some ways can understand now.
That many peoples houses, mine included, is not wired for ethernet.. and even the coax barely can keep a clean signal.  Going to a wifi setup and all in one.. can help eliminate some of these worries.  One connection in, going to one spot, no splitters, etc to worry about, etc.

5) other than the TV display, i havent noticed any other differences in the home phone.  Mind you dont have anything weird on it (phone based security system, etc) either which may act different.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty wrote:

1) According to the tech, he said wired is an option.  I have not tested it yet though.  its on my many list of things to do for these boxes Smiley Tongue

2) Remote - No.. as far as I am aware.. they is NO IR Smiley Sad  That its internet connected, may be methods/apps that could work?  But IR harmony may be out of luck.  it looks like all the X1 stuff (comcasts old boxes and their new ones), are all RF now too.  Seems like the norm Smiley Sad

4) I agree.. the single unit, is a little worrysome as a single point of failure. But in some ways can understand now.
That many peoples houses, mine included, is not wired for ethernet.. and even the coax barely can keep a clean signal.  Going to a wifi setup and all in one.. can help eliminate some of these worries.  One connection in, going to one spot, no splitters, etc to worry about, etc.

5) other than the TV display, i havent noticed any other differences in the home phone.  Mind you dont have anything weird on it (phone based security system, etc) either which may act different.

2) WHAT?!? I actually had included that item as an afterthought when I edited my post because when I googled, every Comcast box I could find seemed to have IR. If there is no IR on this and no other way to control it with a Harmony hub, then I hate to say it, but Rogers and Comcast may have to pry my Cisco STBs out of my cold dead hands. I never thought I'd say that about Navigatr.

I'm sure the new remote is amazing, but hey, if I can (and do) control my Apple TVs with a harmony, I should be able to control this thing as well.

4) Sure, but... this means that a bug in this new magical unified box takes everything down. Instability with the TV product, sure, I can live with, but my Internet going up and down like an early firmware CGN3ACSMR on a Casa CMTS would be catastrophic. 

5) What about voicemail? Is there a web interface to retrieve voicemails? Are they emailed to you? Etc.

What I am starting to learn about this thing is that there is a certain radical vision behind it. (Interestingly, I don't think Comcast or Shaw had that kind of radical vision at all.) Wireless, meshy, cloudy, voice-controlled, etc. - i.e. what you get when 50-year-old executives try to design something that stereotypical cord-cutting millennials might find cool. A big part of the questions I, and likely others, have is how well this thing plays with things that are outside that radical vision (e.g. Harmony remotes, bridge mode, etc). 

I Plan to Stick Around

Has anyone noticed that the X1 remote lights up when you touch it. This is great when using in a dark room. This particular remote is much easier to use and memorize keys than the older style remote, and its way more intuitive.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@andrew9446 wrote:

Has anyone noticed that the X1 remote lights up when you touch it. This is great when using in a dark room. This particular remote is much easier to use and memorize keys than the older style remote, and its way more intuitive.

The newest remote for the NB3 (well, you could use it with others, but the RF part of it only worked with the NB3), lit up as well.