Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

@JeromeM it might be worth pulling the wallplate off of the wall just to see if you might have a telephone Cat-3 or perhaps a Cat-5e cable hiding behind the wallplate.  This is the wallplate that holds the RG-6 port that the modem plugs into.  Depending on how old your home is, perhaps you might have structured cabling installed in the walls but not totally used.  Its usually up to the homeowner to check behind the wallplates and in the Structured Wiring Cabinet in the basement or utility room to determine if in fact Structured Wiring is present.  That is a wire bundle usually consisting of RG-6 cables for satellite or cable tv, one Cat-3 cable for telephones, possibly a Cat-5e cable instead, and one Cat-5e cable for house ethernet.  If that bundle is present, you can install the necessary connectors for telephone or ethernet purposes and use the cabling for data or telephone runs in the house.  

In the case where your alarm system no longer works, if you happen to have Cat-3 or Cat-5e cable available where the modem plugs into the wallplate, you can use that cable for telephone purposes and connect the house telephone system to the modem thru the modem's telephone ports.  The modem's two telephone ports can be set to run off of a single number, so in theory you can have one port connected to the cordless phone, and one port connected to the house telephone system.  You would have to ensure that the previous external connection to the house telephone's 66 block in the basement is disconnected, which would mean that the house telephone cable system should be able connect to the external world from any telephone jack on any wallplate.  Only question in this case is how many telephones can the modem itself actually run. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink

Thanks for the info, unfortunately in the living room there's only RG6 cable in the wall so that won't work, no phone or Cat 5 there.

If I could get the bridge mode to work on my Google Wifi mesh which would be preferred or perhaps get them to come back to install the Eero I guess then I could move everything to the demarc so the home phone would work then that might work. I have a Google Wifi AP down there and can change it to be the primary AP easily.

Rogers documentation shows putting it in Bridge Mode disables the TV per below screenshot however that could be because the TV Boxes are now not on the network anymore and just need to be remapped.

Ignite.jpg

I'm a Senior Advisor

@JeromeM I'm following this thread because I inquired about this service but declined because it would probably give me less channels than my VIP at twice the price and I wasn't willing to abandon my landline and email address I've had with my ISP for over 30 years just to get faster Internet. Given the $150 installation fee, you would think that the tech would ensure that all your other services would still work after switching to this. Keep after Rogers to get it fixed, or you just got ripped off for $150.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Around

Anybody successfully connected to a 3rd-party VOIP service ... e.g., voip.ms, ooma, vonage (i.e., not Rogers Home Phone)?  If the modem/router has SIP/ALG enabled, then that would be a problem.  I have Ignite 150U and had to bridge my Hitron to connect a Cisco SPA112 ethernet box to voip.ms.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sounds like the tech was a little flakey. 

At min they should have put the mesh in. 

If the bridging isn’t figured soon I would call in and get a tech out to add it in. 

Looks like Ike I am having a bit of a service outage here. Internet and phone fine, but no channels tuning. 

Called in and they were getting 3-4 other reports of the same. 

Tried the re intitalze, etc but no go. 

One interesting thing hang with the cloud PVR tho.. even tho couldn’t watch anything here, the stuff recorded tonight while the outage, plays back back fine. So YOUR connection really doesn’t come into play. You could have no power and it will still record your scheduled recordings. 

I did did see one thing tho.. one box didn’t want to connect to the wifi for some reason so rebooted it. It didn’t stay there, but for a brief second came up to a pairing screen. Looks like it wanted to do via WPS.  Wondering if that’s the way to connect these boxes?

(and then if so, how to do it, reset the box or whatever)

Though with the wired port, if some has the cabling, would be the easiest with their own router in place. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Same here I had a live TV issue, just a black screen with error with XRE03090 that popped up. Spent 30min with tech support but after trying to reboot everything still nothing.
***Service is back on now 12am June 12th***

I asked him about bridge mode as well, he said in a previous release you could update the network in the settings but now we can just "see" the network it's on. The TV boxes pair with the modem using WPS however Google WiFi doesn't support that but neither does Eero so they either didn't have the instructions or didn't want to share how to setup the mesh network. In my mind whether it's Eero or Google WiFi mesh it shouldn't matter. Will keep digging.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I wonder, if you connected the X1 via ethernet for the first time that its fired up, or if you reset the box and then connected it via ethernet cable back to any router, or perhaps the modem, if the X1 would simply recognize the ethernet as the valid connection and operate as expected, via ethernet.  Don't pair the X1 with the modem or router, simply connect it to the modem or router.  That leaves the possibility of the wifi adapter on the X1 running, looking for a modem or router to pair with.  Is it possible to shut off the X1's wifi? 

Might be time for anyone who has an X1 to run an experiment to find out.  Can't believe that this isn't already sorted out and available for the customers.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink

It does state that if Ethernet is plugged in it will trump WiFi, I could try and connect the cable to my router/switch that I have behind the Google WiFi to see if it would still work. If it does the only thing I would need to know how to do is re-set the WiFi network on the TV box.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Maybe if you reset the box it might give you a choice of wifi networks after the restart.  Somehow it doesn't make sense that it would take a tech visit or call into tech support to select a wifi network and that only a Rogers selected network transmitting only from the XB6 would work.  Thinking logically that doesn't make sense unless the firmware options in the X1 were coded as being completely restrictive to prevent anyone from using a router.  That would make Intel's dream of the "Intel" modem becoming the gateway to the home come true.  Not sure that I trust Intel to pull that one off just yet.   Personal opinion, you wouldn't think that any product like the X1would be released in that state, but hey, who knows??

I Plan to Stick Around

The easiest way for them to lock  the Wi-Fi to them would be to implement a VPN with an SSL encryption where they hold the private key and you hold the public on the RB6. In order to connect to the secure tunnel you would need the public key. If it is hard coded into the firmware of the modem and not publicly visible it might be possible to lock it easily enough. you are not actually locking the wi-fi connection for the traffic flowing on it using an encrypted VPN channel that you set up where your holding the private key on the SDN controller. You would have to  do some protocol analyser  investigation to see the traffic and find out what it is transmitting  on rogers wi-fi connection versus yours. The other possibility is they generate a key pair every so often and handout the public key for authentication