Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

@Sundog1966 wrote:

So what does self install look like? you run coax from the tap to your demarc. Are you able to test the signal levels of the cable? (Most people don't have the  box nor acess to the rogers test suit to do this. For  the IP side you run a couple of spare cat 5 cables that have been sitting around in a basement for a few years, but maybe they are just a bit wonky or worn. Oh thats right gigabit internet needs at least 5e or six. Do you have a  ethernet test meter from fluke (I have one and it cost me about $4000). This allows me to test and qualify each wire on he cable test for near end cross talk, determine exactly where on a cable a line is broken (time domain reflectometer another piec of useful equipment in my possession $2000). I have $8000 worth of diagnostic equipment and about ten years of training and experience to  be able to troubleshoot any  ethernet, fiber, or coax problems. Most people are not qualified to  be able to handle  anything but a simple connecti it and go situation. Never mind external connections using  outdoor rated fiber, ethernet or  and coax. 

You just plucked the worst case scenario.  If I need all of that done, I'll call. 

I don't,  so don't make me pay for services I don't need.

I posted a link in my other reply that Comcast allows their customers to self install X1.  Rogers should be able to figure it out too.

I Plan to Stick Around

I believe that they will eventually get to a self install option. Right now they don't have enough experience with the install process to catch the  normal case or the outliers. Also they are marketing this as a premium service and  the people looking for a premium service usually expect  onsite installation and that is also why they have a concierge service that is just for ignite. We can expect this level of service to continue for sometime

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, i would leave it for a bit before we make the final call on the install part.
It MAY change.

Even when going to the ignite page, it says call here if you want it.  It doesnt mean that just anyone will be able to get it right now.  May just be very limited.

Did I pay the install fee? Yeah.  Could I have done it myself likely? Yeah.
I had some extra money come to me recently, so I splurged on it.

Is it something that they potentially could allow someone who is capable to do?
Yes.
But I think for the average person, it would be well beyond their capability, especially with the MESH install if needed, etc.
Hopefully its reduced, etc in not too long of a time.

Lets try and keep this thread more about questions, etc, and not just complaining about the price Smiley Happy

I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix

Chances are they will increase the storage as time goes on. More likely they will provide additional storage as an additional fee Smiley Happy
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Hybrid_Noodle

I hope so! They can't just have 20hrs per account and think that's good enough lol.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Gdkitty

Many tend to keep movies for rewatch them or in general keep a series of a show to rewatch them later. To each their own I guess. 200hrs should be just a first option and then should have a option of opening that up to each box I would say resisted to that account. Only makes sense.

As for the fee. We are complaining about the fee because as a user ur self, we have the right complain. The thread title is "about question and install". So the install fee is part of this I believe. So as a general user and customer, that fee is hard to swallow. Someone that has money laying around? Sure go ahead but money don't have that affordablility and option in their lives.....

Anyways I hope you are enjoying the Ignite TV! I'll check it out when prices lower and Rogers doesn't try to make you pay more when Bell is offering it for less..
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not saying its not a valid complaint.
But with this new, there may be a 1000 questions.. dont wan other valid questions getting burried under 100 people just saying "I agree its too much to install" Smiley Happy

Hopefully its something that changes soon.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Did some testing while at work (which is on Bell business direct fiber)

Live TV, looks like a fair number of them are fully watchable outside the home (vs ALL inside the home).  There were some which were not watchable.
One thing I did find at my inlaws (who are on rogers), was able to watch pretty much them all. (probably saw I was coming from a rogers connection?)

PVR Content was watchable, at least what I tested.  
(perhaps, ones that were recorded from those channels above which didnt work, the recordings might not while away?)

One thing that I noticed while in looking at the recordings, there is a 'Deleted Recording' section, which allows recently deleted stuff to be able to be recovered. This is GREAT for accidentally deleted stuff.
I will have to check if the same thing is visible from the TV box itself. 

I Plan to Stick Around

The mesh install should require a site survey to determine where the work-fi is we and determine best location for placement. That can be done with the right software and a tablet/laptop but there are specialized products from fluke that are better when you are looking at doing it with hundreds of technicians and a very wide collection of commercial and residential scenarios.
I Plan to Stick Around

I had my install on June 9th as well, I went ahead with it even though the fee was $150 which did seem a little bit high, also the programming to me is pretty expensive as I had decent discounts on my previous package and no discounts on this stuff now. I had 100u Internet before which was perfectly fine, 500u sounds a little crazy and I'm sure affects the price but I'm sure they are only offering this to ensure performance is good.

Anyways, install went well he put the Modem in my living room as that's where my previous one was. Though my home phone was at the demarc before so now we just plugged the home phone into the modem so it works (Panasonic wireless phones so I have 1 base and 3 extra phones) but my alarm that was connected to the phone line at the demarc isn't working anymore......awesome only found out after when the alarm company called me Smiley Sad

One thing I didn't like was that I had my previous modem in bridge mode and I have 4 x Google wifi Access points. The tech told me the TV boxes can only communicate to their modem, which is clearly false as stated above when they install their Eero Mesh they put it in bridge mode. Also when you look at the settings of the TV boxes it shows what network they are connected to. Even the box in the master bedroom which is 1 floor directly above the modem says weak signal Smiley Frustrated

What I need to figure out is how to change the modem to bridge mode and get the TV boxes onto my regular home network. This is pretty straight forward as long as they are all on the same network all should work. Hoping my Concierge will help.

The other thing that is annoying is I have a Google home with a SmartThings Hub and Harmony Hub and I couldn't find this new TV box in the Harmony App so now I can't really control everything like I used to. Hopefully this will update shortly and be available, not really a Rogers problem I know.

I did find that the picture quality wasn't good on 2 of my TV's and after playing with the TV Box settings I noticed they were all set to 720p picture so once I changed it to the max available for each TV it was much better, just an FYI in case someone sees that. Other then that I didn't have too much time to play with it, seems really fast though which is good and App seems good too.

I will update once I have more details on bridge mode.