Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Is the 200 hours of PVR cloud storage per account across all boxes or 200 hours for each box you have?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Per account, is my understanding. (so would be per household)

So about the same as having 1 NB3.
Or two NB2s.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hey guys!

Gdkitty. Thanks for the recap of the install and the help!

200hrs just per account holder? That's not worth it because I have 3 4K PVR boxes and we have well over 50% of them full. So by that thinking we wouldn't all be able to record shows or movies and keep them. We would need to remove them to make space.

Thats useless and really bad. Its a step backwards with Rogers all the time. The pricing / install fee which should be lower and there is no excuse to be made that we should fork over $150 Plus taxes ( being added in our bills adds tax) and now this.

I won't even get this until they change the fee for the install and also give each box space instead of the account holder only. So if you have 2 or more boxes for your family and you record Halloween or Christmas movies and keep them for the family to watch or keep them, you need to remove half just to record more. That's a step backwards and not future " proof" as Rogers says.

Enjoy the IPTV but unless they drop that ridiculous fee ( which is pretty high if you ask me and many will say this) and Be able to record 200hrs on each box ( or make it that each box has 200hrs cloud space) I and my family won't get this and I can see many that won't either.
I'm a Senior Advisor

You can't "keep" anything with Ignite for more than a year anyway.

Recorded programs are deleted after a year.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Personally, I never keep much long at all on the PVR anyways.

A) not reliable.. if the drive goes.. so does the content

B) limited playback.. only the connected boxes

Anything that important I pay for to own on other media.
But thats just me.

I Plan to Stick Around

I've never ever came anywhere close to using 200 hours worth of recordings. More than enough for me.

I Plan to Stick Around

I was going to make the switch today but the $149.99 install fee is just blunt a slap in the face. The rep tried to market it as they would make sure the service worked and even follow up after the install to make sure it was working.

I had to laugh out loud at that point and say it takes a customer to pay to have Rogers customer service on the stuff they offer lol

I'm more then comfortable to install the service myself seeing how I work for a home automation company and am very savvy.

Good luck to any of the people who fall for this scam tactic on Rogers part. If they want your business they'll install the service no charge.
I Plan to Stick Around

I am not sure that a self install option will be possible. They physical connections are  only about 1/2 of the process. The rest is all back end configuration on thier SDN controllers and  other areas that will require  protected access. Don't forget it still took over 20 years before a self install option for cable was a common practice and even now is a minority of customers (Guessing about 1%). Self install also has a rang of definitions. plugging in the box and attaching the cable being the most common and still requires a call to customers support and at least 30 minutes to complete a full set-up and test  plus wait times. Most people still do not have professional level tools for  making coax cables nor do they have the test box that rogers uses that costs about $15000 ti purchase. Even then you don't have access to thier back end facilities. Over half of my set-ups in the last five years have had to be referred to infrastructure support for rewiring  outside of the building  either at the neighborhood post or the head end office. Rogers coax plant is aging and they are upgrading a lot of thier backhaul to fiber to the node configurations with coax to the premises from that point.

I Plan to Stick Around

So what does self install look like? you run coax from the tap to your demarc. Are you able to test the signal levels of the cable? (Most people don't have the  box nor acess to the rogers test suit to do this. For  the IP side you run a couple of spare cat 5 cables that have been sitting around in a basement for a few years, but maybe they are just a bit wonky or worn. Oh thats right gigabit internet needs at least 5e or six. Do you have a  ethernet test meter from fluke (I have one and it cost me about $4000). This allows me to test and qualify each wire on he cable test for near end cross talk, determine exactly where on a cable a line is broken (time domain reflectometer another piec of useful equipment in my possession $2000). I have $8000 worth of diagnostic equipment and about ten years of training and experience to  be able to troubleshoot any  ethernet, fiber, or coax problems. Most people are not qualified to  be able to handle  anything but a simple connecti it and go situation. Never mind external connections using  outdoor rated fiber, ethernet or  and coax. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Sundog1966 wrote:

I am not sure that a self install option will be possible. They physical connections are  only about 1/2 of the process. The rest is all back end configuration on thier SDN controllers and  other areas that will require  protected access. Don't forget it still took over 20 years before a self install option for cable was a common practice and even now is a minority of customers (Guessing about 1%). Self install also has a rang of definitions. plugging in the box and    . on the cable being the most common and still requires a call to customers support and at least 30 minutes to complete a full set-up and test  plus wait times.

THere's backend configuration for all cable installs.  Why is this install $100 more?  Why is the normal install fee waiveable, but this one not

Most people still do not have professional level tools for  making coax cables

Most people can go to Home Depot and get a run of cable for $10.

nor do they have the test box that rogers uses that costs about $15000 ti purchase. Even then you don't have access to thier back end facilities. Over half of my set-ups in the last five years have had to be referred to infrastructure support for rewiring  outside of the building  either at the neighborhood post or the head end office. Rogers coax plant is aging and they are upgrading a lot of thier backhaul to fiber to the node configurations with coax to the premises from that point.

Once again - this issue would come up regardless of the product installed - why are the Ignite problems and set up worth $100 more, and there's no wiggle room for waiveability like there is with digital service. If an issue comes up, I have no issue paying for somebody with more knowledge than I have. But I'll pay it WHEN THE PROBLEM OCCURS - I have a tough time paying it up front on the off chance that something goes off the rails. If you want to charge me for the backend work or for switching me to a new billing system, fine. I can deal with that. But I, and more than a few others, would like the choice.

Comcast - possibly the WORST and MOST HATED cable company on the planet, has figured out Xfinity self- install.....why can't Rogers?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/how-to-install-your-self-install-kit-devices