Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Hi Biollw,

If this is the future of TV, I have to believe that many of the current issues will get corrected.  They have no choice. Cable is pricey and if customers are unhappy they will cancel it.  As I mentioned in other posts there are things I want to be corrected as well (more Apps and I want my Stop button back!)  But overall I really like the product more than I dislike it.  

I Plan to Stick Around

@pitfall21 wrote:

Hi Biollw,

If this is the future of TV, I have to believe that many of the current issues will get corrected.  They have no choice. Cable is pricey and if customers are unhappy they will cancel it.  As I mentioned in other posts there are things I want to be corrected as well (more Apps and I want my Stop button back!)  But overall I really like the product more than I dislike it.  

I am talking about new features. I would assume problems will be corrected.

Most of the perceived problems are not problems. People have a problem when transitioning to the new Ignite because they are expecting it to be like the old cable. Stay on the old cable if you like it.

I like ignite's features, especially voice control and the Netflix integration. Saves switching inputs.

I have only had minor problems that did not bother me or make me want to cancel. 

I like the product.

Stop button? Just press exit...see, it is the transition people are having a problem with.  Not a big deal.

I've Been Around

Had Ignite installed this past weekend. Everything went fairly smoothly except technician had to set up a wifi extender to improve signal to one tv. A few hours after the tech left the extender seemed to freeze and was not sending a signal anymore. I restarted it and it has been fine since, but my Ignite TV box is no longer connected to the EXT network. How can I change it? There is no option to scan for available networks. Is it better to switch to mesh anyway?
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Alderso Best to put in a call to your Rogers Concierge. That is part of the service.

I Plan to Stick Around

Does anyone know if the remote for the Sony XBR65X900E will also control the Ignite box?

Currently, I have the digital cable and my STB is connected to my Sony via HDMI and I use the IR blaster that came with the TV to enable me to use the Sony remote to control the Rogers STB.

Do we know if the same can be done with Rogers Ignite boxes?

I know all about Universal (Harmony) remotes and being able to program them (I have a Harmony One myself) but right now I'm having success using the Sony remote to control my products connected via CEC (Sony AVR, Nvidia Shield, Rogers Nextbox) and would elect to continue that way.

Kev

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As long as the sony one has the CODES for it.. it should work?

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty , I don't put the codes into the Sony remote, the devices are automatically linked to it when set up and connected to the TV / AVR.

Kev

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The tv boxes themselves are actually that way as well.  When the TV is directly attached to them during the setup, will auto detect the TV and set up the remote for it.

Its a good question with the Sony.  I guess it really depends if it has the stuff programmed into it already.  Assuming it has the right codes already in it it would work if it detects it.

I've Been Here Awhile

@kgrosvold wrote:

Does anyone know if the remote for the Sony XBR65X900E will also control the Ignite box?

Currently, I have the digital cable and my STB is connected to my Sony via HDMI and I use the IR blaster that came with the TV to enable me to use the Sony remote to control the Rogers STB.

Do we know if the same can be done with Rogers Ignite boxes?

I know all about Universal (Harmony) remotes and being able to program them (I have a Harmony One myself) but right now I'm having success using the Sony remote to control my products connected via CEC (Sony AVR, Nvidia Shield, Rogers Nextbox) and would elect to continue that way.

Kev

I'm afraid the answer to your question is no. Sony does not have the Xi6-A stb in their database for Rogers set top boxes. I contacted Sony in mid December 2018 when I was trying to set up the Sony remote for my XBR-55X900F to control the Xi6-A STBs. Apparently, they do have software in their database for Xfinity in the US that uses a similar system to Rogers' IgniteTV, but it can't be accessed using Sony's setup process because one needs to enter a zip code in order to download the proper EPG and if one uses a US zip code the the EPG would provide the wrong information. Shaw also has a similar system to Rogers and they do operate in northwest Ontario i.e. Thunder Bay, but again, you need to enter a postal code to download the EPG and the downloaded EPG would be wrong for us down in southern Ontario.

BTW, I'm not happy with the Sony update as it removed the Android Play Store from the TV.

Sony advised that they didn't have the information for Rogers IgniteTV in their database but that it might be provided and made available in their next software/firmware update for the TV. I had an update for the software on my TV last week and I was eagerly looking forward to pairing my Sony remote with the Rogers stb but no luck. Apparently, the update that I received has been in the works since last year and has been slowly rolling out to Sony TVs ever since. Perhaps in the next software update? BTW, I posted about this earlier in this thread at the end of December if you want to go back and look at it.

BTW, I'm not happy with the Sony update as it removed the Android Play Store from the TV.

I've Been Here Awhile

automatic selection of receiver input source

I have been using the Apple TV, and when I turn it on it automatically changes the receivers HDMI input to the one the Apple TV is on.  Can the Rogers ignite tv be setup to do the same thing so that when I turn everything on, the Denon receiver changes to the HDMI input that the the ignite tv box is attached to?