Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

@StatsMan wrote:

@StatsMan wrote:

@seadooxp30 wrote:

@StatsMan wrote:

@RogersAndy wrote:

Hey @StatsMan,

Sorry to hear you're having an issue watching recorded content! Due to my busy schedule it's pretty much my primary way of consuming content these days, so I can appreciate the importance. Were you able to get this sorted out with Ignite Concierge?

RogersAndy

So I called the concierge and eventually we managed to get my browser to stream my recorded shows. I had to clear my cache in order to do so.

However, I am still having trouble with one of my STBs. When I or my wife power on the TV/STB. It takes forever, (15 minutes to power up and sometimes I have to reset the box two or three times before it powers up. I checked the diagnostic screen for the STB and I'm getting a good signal (-31db last time I checked) so it's not a signal issue. I suspect it may be something to do with the power settings ... at one point I went into the settings and set the power saving settings for the STB to maximum. The last time I turned the STB on, a few minutes ago, there was a notice in the top right corner of the screen informing me that the STB was just waking up after being on power saver mode for 46+ hours. the STB was extremely slow in responding to commands from the remote (about five seconds after pressing a command before it responded). So I went back into the settings menu and changed the power savings settings for the STB to the minimum. I'll have to monitor it to see if that resolves the problem.

I had same issue as you describe above with one of the boxes not waking up

i had to unplug and plug it back.

call ignite tv support and they did something after few days and now it’s working

its a known issue

call them back and tell support to tag your account with this issue

Thanks @seadooxp30, I’ll call my concierge tomorrow and do that

Just a follow-up to the above: I delayed calling the concierge because everything seemed to be working fine. Then on Wednesday evening my wife complained that her TV wasn't working. She was getting a blank screen and the STB wasn't responding to the remote. She had reset the STB three times by disconnecting power and then reconnecting, and she did get a picture but again the STB wasn't responding to the remote; finally it started responding but it took about 5 to 10 seconds for the STB to respond to commands from the remote.

I called the concierge and was on the phone with him for about 45 minutes while he tried to sort through all sorts of fixes without  success. I asked him to send a tech out because it was obvious that sorting it out over the phone wasn't going to work. He tried to dissuade me from having a tech come out until I started to get angry and eventually he agreed but warned me that because of my set-up there might be a charge for the visit. Tech was booked for the next day.

Tech arrived and I walked him through my problems as well as my setup. He then told me that I might need a firmware update for my modem/router. He told me that apparently there have been a number of firmware updates since Ignite TV had been made available to Rogers' customers. He told me that one specific update was to increase the number of STBs that the modem could manage. Apparently at the beginning the modem could only handle a maximum of 5 STBs and the update increased that number to 10. Since I have 5 STBs he thought that this might be an issue with the problems that I have been having. I asked how the update is achieved since I didn't see anywhere on the user interface for the modem where you could check for and obtain firmware updated (my Asus router DOES have this feature). The tech told me that he is not familiar with the UI because when he was in training they weren't given access to the UI (quite frankly, I don't know how he could do an installation if he didn't know his way around the UI!!). He told me that the update could only be done by a tech in the field.

He then appeared to do a factory reset on the modem by sticking a pin into the reset point on the back and at the bottom of the modem. We then had to setup the modem to use my SSID and disable the wifi. Once this was done, we checked all the STBs and found that the startup was noticeably quicker and that the STB was much, much more responsive to commands from the remote. So far so good. We have not had any more issues on any of the STBs, Let's hope it stays that way!!

Well, that didn’t last long! One day after the above the same symptoms came back on the same STB. Since I’m not having these issues on the other STBs and the signal I’m getting is good (-43dbM) I thought that the problem must be the STB so I swapped it with one of my other ones. I tried it for a day and while ok at first, within 24 hours I  had the same things occur. So, even though I am getting a strong signal (up to 35dbM at times), I decided to connect it a power line adapter/extender. I had to restart the STB a couple of times before it recognized that it is on a wired connection and not WiFi. So far so good. I’ll have to keep monitoring and see how it goes.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sounds then almost like its something about that location? 
While the wifi signal may be good (strong) maybe for whatever reason there is interference there from something..

I Plan to Stick Around

That's what I've been thinking but I've had this STB in this location since June and these problems only started about a month ago. Nothing else has changed in the meantime.

I've Been Around

Would love your help on how to do this - can you PM me?

cant figure out how to make this work

@Nick_W wrote:

@shives101 wrote:

hi there, are you controlling the new box with IR? we install control4 systems and use IR buds on the front of the boxes to control them. I need to know if this is possible or not

Cheers

Matthew

Yes you can, I’m using a harmony hub, and a Slingbox 500 both controlling the Xi6 via IR. The harmony has the profile for the Xi6, but I’m using the X1 profile for the Slingbox. The pronto codes are available if you google around. The normal remote is RF, but IR works as well.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think the IR port is on the front, so make sure your device pointing the IR signal is pointing to there.

As for what you need to program, look up Comcast boxes, the X1 i believe, and it should work for this one.

I've Been Around

Rogers you need to keep up with Bell and allow Android TV like Nvidia Shield to access Ignite TV app.
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers is way behind!!!
They don’t even have Apple TV app
Bell offer that to their customer
I Plan to Stick Around

I am late in joining this discussion party, but maybe still on the bleeding edge of Ignite TV users. I'd like to share my research and installation experiences.

First, information on the physical specifications of the XB6 modem and Xi6 TV Box are very hard to find. It would be nice if these were published on the Rogers web site. This must be the new age for the non-techy user, don't worry about the specs, just use it.

After extensive research I decided to do away with a spinning disk PVR and opted for Ignite TV (sans HomePhone). I expected the install to be fast and simple as my Home Theatre was already in place and only the CGN3 modem needed to replaced with the XB6. As the XB6 only has two ethernet ports I reconfigured three of my devices for wifi.

The install was basically switch the coax cable over, reconnect two ethernet cables over (the tech did not do this), setup the wifi, link the STB using WPS, and pair the remote. The tech was here for 1 hour 40 minutes. A lot of the time was spent getting the boxed provisioned, and measuring the performance on the cable. Excluding the line measurements it should have been 30 minutes and could have been self installed.

There are two risers providing coax cable to my unit, but only one was use. The one used for the previous CGN3 connection seemed to have lower performance than the second, however there was still a "red" warning with one of the measurements. They want everything to be perfect for Ignite so a visit by a senior tech is scheduled for the weekend to try and resolve. TV service works fine and I am getting better than contracted internet speed.

A couple of interesting points:
1. I had switched to Bell Fibre a couple of years ago. The existing coax cable was used to connect their router to the PVR. During the installation the tech clipped the ends of the coax cable and installed new connectors. He suggested that the core pin was too short. Well the Rogers tech thought the pin was too long and snipped a couple of millimeters off. I suspect that it really makes no difference.
2. The CGN3 for 100/10 service was self installed a few years ago. Picked it up from a store and by the time I got home an hour later it was provisioned and working fine.

My previous setup had the CGN3 in bridge mode but I decided to simplify my setup, for now, and eliminated the secondary router. It was a minor inconvenience to get all the wireless devices registered to the new SSID. The last time I did this the same SSID was used and it created no end of problems with my Windows PC's.

After the install I verified that my VOIP ATA for telephone service still worked with the XB6 modem/router, and that there were no connection issues with my VPN. Both were good.

Finally, the tech sent an Installation Summary email after his visit. It suggested that many things were done, that were not. Not a problem for me, but could be an issue for some, e.g., verifying complete wifi coverage in my home, demonstration of the remote and cloud PVR, concierge service etc.

All good so far.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

How do you review/cancel scheduled recording created that do not have any broadcasts within the 2-week time window?

Hello @Bplayer,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! =)

I tend to set up series recordings as well because it can be easy to forget one week and then miss a favourite program. 

Deleting a series recording has always involved a few extra steps but from what I can see on Ignite TV there does not appear to be an option to delete a series recording that is not recording within the current 2 week period. Ignite TV is still very new for all of us but if there is anyone in the Community who has figured out how to delete/modify a series recording outside of the current two week period be sure to chime in!

Cheers,

RogersTony