Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

A couple of things that I've noticed recently:

• I've noticed recently that the quality of the video is not as good as it should be. Specifically, the video appears to be stuttering at times as if it is buffering. This happens on recorded video as well as live TV. I have five STBs scattered throughout the house and it doesn't matter which STB i'm watching on or even on my desktop computer om which I also watch at times. Download speed is good at all locations, varying between 400+Mbps to 600+Mbps at my desktop which is connected directly to the Rogers modem/router and over 350 Mbps in the basement STB on the other end of the house which is a wired connection to an Asus RT-AC68U router in AiMesh mode. I also have a desktop connected to this router and on which I am getting 500+Mbps download. WiFi speeds are very good varying between 100 Mbps and as high as 388 Mbps depending on location throughout the house.
  • Another more annoying issue that has happened a couple of times now, is that while watching a live programme, the screen will suddenly go black for anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds an then the program will return. I have also had the STB reboot itself while watching TV or suddenly stop working with a message that it can't connect to the network. The only option is to unplug the power to the STB and reboot it.
  • Finally, when trying to watch a recorded programme I get the message: "Well that didn't go as planned... we're having trouble playing this recording. We checked for this program On Demand but, unfortunately , it is not available. Pleas try watching another program." Tried another recording and got the same message.

It seems there are more bugs appearing as time goes on.

I'm a Senior Advisor

If you go to view bundles at the bottom of the Ignite promo page, you can build up a TV/Internet/Home phone bundle that is comparable to what you have now.  I couldn't get past the choice of Home phone option, but I called in to get those last features.  The comparison for me was about 10.00 then the "regular price" of my current Navigatr/Hitron/Home phone promotion, but way above the promotion level.  It is comparable to a similiar promotion package of the "other guys" on similiar feature set, so at the moment, the regular price of my current services taxes included after promotions end is still lower.  No justifiable reason for me to switch, will see when end of term comes for promotion what they offer.  We will probably be cutting cord and going wholesale Internet and VOIP home phone or no home phone, as we are at our maximum price point for these services given we are on fixed incomes.

You can call in an have them compare your current services to the new ones and then decide.  There are pros and cons between the new model - no battery backup for phone, you can't go back to home phone if you change, you can port your number to the new service, but not back again and installation costs to consider.

Hope that helps you to decide what you think of the model and the costing structure and service options.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

@timlocke  Other than the discussions of bridging to a router and how the TV side of things work, you are right, there is little discussion on the modem and WIFI on the Internet side of things and comparisons to Hitron, nor is there much discussion of the Home Security system, or home phone under the new model. 

It would be good to see these other features discussed in more depth, but I am not sure how many people are taking on the new model who would be the type to come to the forums for discussion.

Bruce

I'm a Senior Advisor

@StatsMan  At least the programmers have a sense of humour in their alert-error messages.

BruceSmiley Happy

I Plan to Stick Around

I presume that all the Ignite TV IP addresses are IPV6. It would seem pretty silly if they were V4!    Should be obvious but a Rogers technical description of Ignite should explicitly say so.

Hello @StatsMan,

I can imagine how frustrating it must be trying to enjoy your favourite programs on TV when the picture quality is breaking up or constantly buffering on you.

I have been using Ignite TV for several months and these issues haven't happened to me so I definitely want to get to the bottom of this for you to see what is going on. We'd like to run some tests on your equipment to ensure the signal levels are within specification for the service to function properly. 

Please send us a Private Message to @CommunityHelps so we can get started on this for you. If you are not familiar with our Private Messaging system please click here.

If you prefer to call in to speak to a live agent you also have the option to contact our Ignite Center of Excellence team by calling 1-833-344-6483.

We look forward to your response!

RogersTony

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Request: Twitch App for all those eSports watchers such as myself. I hope it be easy to do since PS4 has that app.

I Plan to Stick Around

I had my install this week and so far its has been very good.   When they did the install they tried their router first and the signal strength was very week at point in my house so I had them put their router in bridge mode and use my Asus router which gets 400+ Mbps via Wifi at the furthest parts of the house.   Rogers router was less than 50.  So bridge mode was best solution for me.   I have a question about recording programs on the old PVR set up you could pick if you only wanted to record a show everyday at a specific time.  Like CTV New at 6pm every day same time slot, now if I choose CTV News and pick new episodes it records the 3 times.   Anyone know if there is a setting to just record the timeslot you want without having to do each day separate, the Nextbox used to have a manual entry option where you could just pick the time of day you wanted to record also.

Thank you

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes CTV News, must be recording London. All new episodes and the CTV news. Because the title is the same for morning evening and night.

They need to add an extra selection "This time slot only". The Netbox had that. This would also help with other shows. I find networks, speciality channels especially, have a habit of marking their shows as new when they are not. So you will get the same show weekly on Thursday at 8pm also "new" on Friday at 1am or on their west coast time slot channel. 

I know no solution.

Frustrating. Listen Rogers !

Bill

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

@Japetto

You should be able to set manual recordings. I've not actually tried it but if you check out the link below it has the instructions.

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/managing-recordings-on-ignite-tv