Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

I had to sideload the app.
I've Been Around

I have ignite internet how much to upgrade to Ignite TV

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

$150 for installation plus $10/month for each Xi6 TV box, plus $10?/month for modem rental.  I think the usual monthly price comes in around $200/month which would include the rental costs plus your monthly tv package costs and any additional phone package costs. 

I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink wrote:

$150 for installation plus $10/month for each Xi6 TV box, plus $10?/month for modem rental.  I think the usual monthly price comes in around $200/month which would include the rental costs plus your monthly tv package costs and any additional phone package costs. 

Actually, it’s an all-in price, with a choice of three package that include internet, tv, and home phone, with a choice of three download speeds (150mbps, 500mbps & 1GB). The packages also include the modem and one stb. Each additional stb is $10/month

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks Datalink,

I am happy to run the modem in bridge mode.    I only have 2 tvs, they are both close to the router and I am sure my Asus router wifi will have no trouble.   I presume the tv boxes will use 802.11ac so they won't have to share 2.4 with everything else around.   If I sniff I see no other 5Ghz users in range, but the whole world is out there on 2.4. I am in a University town and near to some student houses.

I wonder if the Ignite tv system will work with the Google DNS...both V4 and V6

I Plan to Stick Around

The new Ignite XB6 device

I would have expected to see a discussion thread on this device as an internet device by now in this section.  But no.  Is that because it is so good? or that there are few people with it as yet. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It should work.  One thing to note, I suspect that the XB6 modem gives the Xi6 a different IP address which allows the location services of the Xi6 to work as they should, or there is some process whereby the Xi6 obtains that address from the XB6.  If you use any other router at the present time, some of the services won't work as they should.  It might just be a matter of time before this is developed to the point that it won't matter what you use, modem, or modem and router.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think its just a matter of a very few number of customers, and those customers are concentrating on the TV services instead of the modem and router services that the modem provides.  Just to note, the ARRIS XB6 modem is an Intel Puma 7 modem, as is the Hitron CODA-4582 modem.  There is a difference in the wifi capabilities, or potential wifi capabilities as the Arris XB6 has a much better wifi chipset onboard.  The only question is, what's enabled, and what's not enabled? 

There is a Technicolour Broadcom BCM-3390 based XB6 which is out for employee testing.  That modem, in theory, should be much better than the Intel Puma 7 modems. 

I've Been Around

Installing a 2nd ignite tv box

I just had ignite installed and am quite happy with it so far, only issues thus far is the home phone suddenly stopping twice in 2 weeks and the only fix was to call in and have them reset everything on their end, hopefully that is the end of that.

My main concern and the reason for this post is the cost of having an additional box installed... $49.99... what exactly is involved to have such a price tag attached to it?  Plug in, choose wifi, done.

Am I missing something that would warrant such a price of install?

I Plan to Stick Around

I also saw a post indicating that some components of the  protocol are encrypted for the tv side of things. I have forgotten the specifics and don't know if it affects the ability to be used as an internet device.