Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

@Gdkitty wrote:

Though.. this may give some hope?

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/harmony-smart-control-to-new-x1-cable-box-ax014an...

The model they specify.. is in the same series/company I believe as the one rogers is using. 
They are talking about the same RF remote..
So maybe it does have an IR port?  though I am not really seeing it...

I had read that too, and yes, it does mention an IR port.

The thing I don't understand is whether the Rogers box is just the Comcast Xi5 box or something customized. Interestingly, if you read Comcast's Xi5 FAQ, it says that you need an old-fashioned coax-based box as your primary box. Also, the Xi5 doesn't have 4K. Very unclear if it has IR.

I can't figure out if Comcast has a newer, 4K-capable box in the Xi5 form factor.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its a new box.

its an Xi6 

(which there are a few posts of comcast starting to use this one as well)

IMG_3775.jpg

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty wrote:

Its a new box.

its an Xi6 

(which there are a few posts of comcast starting to use this one as well)

IMG_3775.jpg

So the FCC has photos of the insides of the thing... but I don't have the engineering expertise to go hunting for an IR receiver.

I've Been Here Awhile

Must have an IR receiver.  Just setup my Harmony 650 using Xfinity as Manufacturer and Xfinity X1 as the device.  The only operation I can't setup is voice.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

And it does work?

I think i read one blurb about someone doing that... i think it is mimicing one of the OLDER X1 remotes.. but still works.

(like how you can mix/match use the old & new rogers remotes)

I've Been Here Awhile

Works perfectly except for the voice button which utilizes the microphone on the remote.  If I put my hand in front of the remote none off the buttons respond.  This leads me to believe it's an IR remote.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@galways wrote:

Works perfectly except for the voice button which utilizes the microphone on the remote.  If I put my hand in front of the remote none off the buttons respond.  This leads me to believe it's an IR remote.

That's odd. A friend in Comcastland tried the same thing yesterday and said that putting his hand in front of the remote, the Comcast remote couldn't control the TV anymore (which would have been done through IR) but could still control the Comcast box. I wonder why Rogers' would work differently...

I Plan to Stick Around

The Xi5 is the older non 4K version. The Xi6 is newer and its definitely a 4K box. I think Comcast is using them in a different configuration requiring a Central Hub to connect to first which means they are still using QAM for linear tv channels, and Cloud for PVR making it a Hybrid system. The Rogers version is pure IPTV.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks For answering my question

I have another question, Have you experienced buffering or lag when switching channels or any quality drops. Have you tried multiple TV's at once. Or does it feel just like normal cable?

Rogers has completely gotten rid of the Rogers Anyplace TV Home App and if you visit the Rogers Anyplace TV website they have gotten rid of the Recordings tab where it used to say "Coming Soon" I really hope Rogers brings back remote recording but based on what you said I am very worried that they got rid of this feature for good.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@stepy2015  The recording and management of recordings feature as we knew it on Navigatr and I do believe the same would be true with Ignite and the cloud based recordings management is in legal limbo land due to the legal suit between Comcast and RIKO/TIVO and not even Comcast can provide it at this point.  It's return is totally dependent upon final legal decisions and appeals in the International World Trade Court and two courts in the US, or Comcast proves that they are not in violation with the licenses (i.e., they have created a model that is unique to them and completely independent of the TIVO license - something called the Alice ruling - have no idea what that is about is the argument at the moment).

But in a nutshell, until Comcast can work out the court ruling, and either prove that it doesn't apply to their product, or they agree to pay the licenses (supposedly it runs about .50 cents per month per box and every other company in the world has agreed to pay it but them), Rogers, Shaw, and all other companies using the Comcast product will not have the ability to manage recordings.

Question to those using the system:

- can you describe more about ability to view the cloud recordings away from home - is it possible? 

- Can you delete them or manage them in anyway, away from home and on the apps on tablet/browser.

I am guessing you can't manage or set up the recordings away from home, unless that is outside the Tivo license.

Was just thinking that may the argument that Comcast may try to make is that the Tivo license is for management of recordings on your box when away from home, while this model is cloud recordings.

But for now, simply, all we can do is wait and live without the feature.

Bruce