Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Had my install today!
Tech was really good and knowledgeable (well as much as they can be this early)

I need to head out shortly, so this will be just a QUICK overview, go into MUCH more detail about all the stuff when I get back later tonight.

Modem set up,  put at demarc.  Built in range was decent, but not great for my 3rd box, so installed a MESH wireless.  Seems to work well from what I can see.  (I am running NOT bridged right now.. as my RT-N66U is getting a little long in the tooth.)  I was able to get 300+/25 on wireless (on 500u).  Wired seems fine.

X1 boxes are TINY, like android box sized.  
Seem to work well though, VERY fast to respond.  Recording work.  Playback works.  Playback via cell/ipad works.
Cant seem to find where to change the wifi network right now.. will ask the concierge when I talk to them tomorrow.

Again, will write a much larger review later tonight.  If you have questions, let me know and I can try and see/check about it.

*Edited Labels*

I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

@Gdkitty wrote:

Had my install today!
Tech was really good and knowledgeable (well as much as they can be this early)

I need to head out shortly, so this will be just a QUICK overview, go into MUCH more detail about all the stuff when I get back later tonight.

Modem set up,  put at demarc.  Built in range was decent, but not great for my 3rd box, so installed a MESH wireless.  Seems to work well from what I can see.  (I am running NOT bridged right now.. as my RT-N66U is getting a little long in the tooth.)  I was able to get 300+/25 on wireless (on 500u).  Wired seems fine.

X1 boxes are TINY, like android box sized.  
Seem to work well though, VERY fast to respond.  Recording work.  Playback works.  Playback via cell/ipad works.
Cant seem to find where to change the wifi network right now.. will ask the concierge when I talk to them tomorrow.

Again, will write a much larger review later tonight.  If you have questions, let me know and I can try and see/check about it.

Thanks.  I've got a few Qs if you don't mind...

• With regards to installation, were they fussy about ensuring all outlets were RG-6 wired?  I currently have some RG-59 and while it's not ideal, it still works.
  • Was the Mesh system from Rogers or yours?  If they do have to use a Mesh, is it an extra cost?
  • Can you have more than 1 PVR in your setup?  I currently use 4 PVRs, one at each TV (kind of wanted to avoid the Whole Home setup and its issues)
  • If you can only have 1 PVR, can you pause live TV on the smaller X1 boxes at least?
  • Are the smaller X1 boxes only Wifi or coax also?  If you can go Wifi, are ALL channels that you subscribe to available or only the ones available on Anyplace TV?  I subscribe to some channels that aren't available on Anyplace TV.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Hwaiting

Rogers is launching the all-ip version of Comcast's X1 platform. This means that all the X1 boxes have PVR functionality. The X1 boxes record to the cloud, not onto physical memory on the box (this is why the boxes are tiny). 

The X1 boxes also have no coax connector. It connects to the new XB6 modem via WiFi or wired.

You can also access all your channels from the new Ignite TV app, which is separate from Rogers Anyplace TV app. 

Overview of X1 Setup: Coax------>Modem----->Wired/Ethernet----->X1 Boxes

• The footprint is much smaller than the previous system because you only need 1 coax cable to get all your services (TV, internet, and phone). 
  • The XB6 has two phone jacks on the back so you can access your home phone service.

In the long term, rogers is trying to port customers over to the X1 platform so they can have more space for internet bandwidth as they prepare for FDX docsis and beyond....

TV over coax uses chunks of frequencies that can be re-utilized as internet frequencies for more bandwidth, especially for upload as there is a high demand for more upload speed. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks @RyzenFX for the info.

I'm glad to hear that it's pure internet based meaning I no longer have to worry about less than ideal signal strengths/SNRs at a couple of outlets in my home that were fed via RG-59.  If it's all internet based, so long as the single feed coming into the home is good, that's all the coax issues I need to worry about.

I've got an Nvidia Shield TV that I hope one day can double as a pseudo X1 box with an Android TV app, kind of like how Bell TV is available on Apple TV now.  One less box to rent/purchase.  One can only hope...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sorry, just got back, so wont be posting anything tonight.

But RyzenFX was completely right on all his answers.  Pretty much need no worry from any of your concerns.

Well.. other than potentially the quantity of recording? you get 200hrs total.  If you were doing more than that among all your boxes, you might not have enough recording space.  But yes all can access.. as well as access it via the ignite app!  (I was watching a movie i recorded this afternoon, while at the inlaws)

The mesh they installed was THEIRS and did not cost any more.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I had my Ignite system installed on Sat the 9th.
Note before we start.. my old bridge modem was getting long in the tooth, so with this system I have decided to go in a non bridged setup for the time being.

When tech arrived, took about 2 hours for the setup.
Tech came in an inspected where stuff currently was, the demarc, where the modems were, where the Tvs were, etc.
In my case, would have probably been best to centrally put the modem in the living room, BUT not having a home phone jack in that room to connect to would cause a problem.
Was descided to put the modem at the demarc. If the wireless wasnt good enough, would put the mesh network in.

Removed all the other extra cabling from the demarc. As the spliters going out to the TVs, the home phone, etc. were not needed anymore.

Modem connected and activated. Its the Arris model.
The modem uses a different IP range by default, they are using 10.0.0.X (which can be changed).
We found that the range was OK to upstairs, but not great. So it was decided to put in the mesh network. This was included for free.
The wireless is disabled on the router itself, and the mesh base station does the main broadcasting, talking to the other units.
They are using an Eero system. In which they give you the stuff to manage it via a phone/ipad.
(May do a more full modem writeup in the internet section later)

Home phone was simple. Pretty much plug in and go.

Started setting up the TV units.
The units are TINY. About the size of an android box. Which makes sense, as they really just are a basic streaming box. They are not doing much work internally in the box.
Setup was pretty easy. Unfortunately, i didnt see the wifi part.. it was pretty much past that when I was in the room unfortunately Smiley Sad
The first user screen is a remote pairing.. so I wonder if they somehow pre paired the box to the modem? Even though it was my own SSID name, etc.
Anyways.. pair the remote. Its RF, and not IR. Easy to pair just enter a code.
Next is pair with the TV, on 1 of my TVs it actually auto detected my TV and didnt have to choose a model. If not, there is a huge list to choose from. Then has you enter a code that should work for that TV. Test, then move on.
Actually lets you set an AVR control if you want as well.
Then your done.

Box is very fast. Faster than the NB3. Zero lag in pretty much any menu.
Hopefully I can get some pictures to show later to really explain. But for now, a least a basic explanation.
Guide you really cant see much of the TV behind it, take over most of the screen. Font is LARGER, but also then less words fit in each box.
You can choose a bunch of views.. all channels, just owned, favorites, etc. (and you can set one type as default)
When on a channel, you can press the right arrow, and brings up a channel select guide with whats on right now where the channel is still running almost full screen.
Pressing the rogers/menu button, will bring up a list to go to the guide, recordings and other things like Apps, settings, etc.
Recordings menu, still getting used to as havent done much. But recordings do work and are there.

Couple of key things I know where a complaint from the previous guides:
- Updates. Daily updates yes. BUT.. you can choose the udpate time!!
- Ease of accessability. A simple press of the B button to put on CC, SAP, etc.

The sports app is pretty cool. On any channel you can press C and bring up a sports app, which allows you to look at stuff like NFL, NHL, MLB, MBA, Soccer, etc. Choosing the sport, will give you the recent scores on most games. If that game is televised, there will be a little TV icon you can click on to go to that channel. On some things you can click on and go into more details. EG i went into one of the baseball games, and it would give you the lineup, and then stats on each player. If a game is playing, the stats will update live apparently.

The netflix app appears to work well. Fast and responsive, not that different than the built in one on my samsung smart tv.
Havent played much with the Youtube app much yet, but did work.

Remote layout is very different, and will take a while to get used to.
I dont know how much of it is a novelty, and how often it will get used, but the voice control actually works well.
Dont know if i will use it for things like FF, etc. But with search its great. Saves a TON of time instead of typing out each word.
Hold down the mic button, and it pops up just like siri does at the bottom, and then say your command.
Saying "search pokemon" will search from all results. (can say search, lookup, etc will do the same)
You can narrow down to a specific app by saying "search pokemon on netflix"

The new ignite app is pretty nice.
Internally at home can watch pretty much every channel available on the TV.
(havent confirmed.. but may be available on just about any rogers service.. so could watch the same at a friends who has rogers)
When outside of the house, only specific channels are watchable (probably based on license rights?)
PVR recordings are available anywhere. That seems to work well.
Whats nice as well is it has moved much like the netflix App. Where you can download the PVR recordings to your phone locally. So you are not using data while out of wifi to watch them.

I think that covers the majority of it..
Any questions, please ask, i'll do my best to answer as I can.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have the service too. What I really enjoy is the FF Voice controlled feature. I just say "Fast Forward 3 Minutes" and it does it instantly to avoid commercials in my recordings.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Too bad we can’t just say ‘skip commercial’ eh?
Maybe that will be something soon.. as it’s more of a data stream maybe be able to put it headers at spots where they start.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty

Is anything the technician does worth the $150 entry fee?

I love the technology, but I can't swallow paying that much money ($75/hr) for something that, from your description, I can do myself with a basic instruction sheet.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty wrote:
Too bad we can’t just say ‘skip commercial’ eh?

The CSR I spoke to said you could say something like skip 3 minutes (or 2 minutes, etc).  You can also apparently programme the up-arrow button to skip a certain number of minutes. Let us know if that works.

As for the $150 install fee, although some (rare) people are good at installing, the vast majority would have issues, especially if you need to run MESH, etc.  $75/hour is not that high for technical visits. Lots of stores charge as much or more and try looking at your last car dealer invoice.