Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Hello all. I've been thinking of signing up for ignite Tv. I do have a few concerns! I see some of you have been setting up your wifi via bridgd mode to your own personal routers, I trying to figure why. Is there a problem with the modem.thats offered?
I Plan to Stick Around

I am using the Arris VB6 as router but have the Wi-Fi shut off. ( all my X6i are hard wired ). Initially I had it in bridge mode and was using my own Netgear Nighthawk router. But rogers will not support the Ignite TV if you have bridged the Arris. My Netgear is setup as an access point, it has way better Wi-fi than the Arris and I control access to it.

I have no problem with the Arris, seems to be working just fine. I would prefer to see a logging of the network traffic in it but it is not there. Port forwarding seems to be working ok but my forwarding is simple.

People like their own control over their local network and/or have a more complex need than me. Some believe if using Arris as router than Rogers can peak into their local network. For the average user it works just fine.

Good Luck

PS: I really like the Ignite TV, very nicely done but could use a tweak or two.

I Plan to Stick Around

I initially used bridge mode with my nighthawk and had no problem. But changed it back to router/modem mode with wi-fi shut off.

Keep in mind Rogers will not support you if modem in bridge mode. Tech support was not happy with me when I had it that way.
I Plan to Stick Around

I am also using the XB6 as a modem/router with WiFi turned off. I am using two Asus AC68U routers in Asus' AiMesh mode. One is set up as an AiMesh router and the other is set up as an AiMesh node. Wifi works way better than the WiFi from the XB6 and when hard wire connected to the node it can operate in backhaul mode. 

I've Been Around

I can answer your question about Netflix. I had the same issue and I am also using an ASUS router. Change your IPv6 to Native and make sure the Auto Configuration mode is set to stateless. Then create trigger ports for UDP 33001-33010 and TCP 22, 33001

Then reboot the new Ignite box and give it a couple of minutes and then you should be fine.

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm having issues with my Google onhub tplink tgr1900.

It was working fine connect to the Ignite TV, using my own SSID. Lately, it seems to be intermittent, and display a message indicating that it can't connect and to wait, or try and restart the box. So I unplug it and it works for a bit, then does the same thing a few hours later.

I believe my router does support both IPv4 and IPv6, what settings at the router level do I need to complete to get it working 100% of the time?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Smoothie, seems to me that I've been thru this recently with another OnHub user.  Officially, according to the user guide, the OnHub supports IPV6.  From what I remember, it doesn't offer any user interface to set the IPV6 modem into Native IPV6, which is what Rogers uses.  Any other questions regarding how to set any parameters for IPV6 operation should be directed to Google, as the user manual is completely useless for this problem.

Here's a reference post to IPV6 settings used for various routers:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-IPv6-Status/m-p/373238#M36710

I Plan to Stick Around

@StatsMan wrote:

I am also using the XB6 as a modem/router with WiFi turned off. I am using two Asus AC68U routers in Asus' AiMesh mode. One is set up as an AiMesh router and the other is set up as an AiMesh node. Wifi works way better than the WiFi from the XB6 and when hard wire connected to the node it can operate in backhaul mode. 

Further to this, I ran a test on ipv6-test.com with the above setup and I had IPv6 on the router set up as native, etc. The test found that I had NO IPv6 connectivity and received a sore of 4/20! I went back into the UI for my Asus router and changed the IPv6 set up from native to pass-through and re-ran the test. This time it showed that the Asus router supported IPv6 and my score went up to 17/20. It seems that you should only set IPv6 on your router if you are running the Rogers router in bridge mode. If you are using it as I am i.e. as a modem/router with WiFi off, then setting IPv6 to pass-through is the way to go

I've Been Around

I know the boxes are WiFi but I see there is an Ethernet Port on the back. I plan on hardwiring to where my TV is.

Is it possible to just hardwire the box via a switch instead of using the wifi? Also how can I disable WiFi on the box then

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

yes, you are more than able to wire the box instead of wireless.
There are a few users on here who are doing so.

I dont think there is a specific way to disable the wireless though.

My guess is it might disable on its own.. i know lots of boxes like my android box, will turn off the wifi portion when it detect a wired one.

Topic Stats