Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Yes. The ASUS is handing out IPv6 addresses to all clients. In fact in the connections tab it appears the xi6 gets up to 3 different IPv6 addresses (not sure why that is). For some reason it appears it is prioritizing a IPv4 external IP though through the ASUS while it shows a IPv6 external address through the XB6 gateway.
I Plan to Stick Around

@kibosh wrote:
Yes. The ASUS is handing out IPv6 addresses to all clients. In fact in the connections tab it appears the xi6 gets up to 3 different IPv6 addresses (not sure why that is). For some reason it appears it is prioritizing a IPv4 external IP though through the ASUS while it shows a IPv6 external address through the XB6 gateway.

Most IPv6 devices have multiple addresses when they are on a stateless network (most consumer networks).

One of those addresses is computed based on the MAC address of the Ethernet or WiFi interface on the Xi6 itself. That is a permanent address that the device maintains at all times.

The problem is that because it's based on the MAC address, anyone who receives a packet from the device itself will also know the MAC address. This is a security issue on the public internet, but having that MAC based IPv6 address on the local network is super useful for network administration (you always know the IP address of a device on an IPv6 network if you know the local prefix being used and the MAC address of the device you're connecting to).

The second of those addresses will an IPv6 address that is randomly generated and is the "current" address of the device. Whenever the device opens a new connection it will use that address to make that connection rather than it's permanent MAC based address. It does this to hide it's MAC address from the public internet.

The third (or sometimes 4th, 5th, etc) addresses you'll see are "former" randomly generated addresses. The randomly generated addresses are automatically rotated when they reach a maximum lifetime. Again, this is done for security - but the device will still listen on it's former addresses in case a peer on the internet knows an old address (but not the new one).

On a Mac, you can see an address grid like this:

en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	ether 14:10:9f:d7:18:fb 
	inet6 fe80::1610:9fff:fed7:18fb%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4 
	inet 192.168.2.30 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255
	inet6 2605:6000:ed0a:f00:1610:9fff:fed7:18fb prefixlen 64 autoconf 
	inet6 2605:6000:ed0a:f00:1918:1efc:e71c:bf2d prefixlen 64 deprecated autoconf temporary 
	inet6 2605:6000:ed0a:f00:9068:7428:1beb:5c39 prefixlen 64 deprecated autoconf temporary 
	inet6 2605:6000:ed0a:f00:cd7a:dd40:6a73:f551 prefixlen 64 deprecated autoconf temporary 
	inet6 2605:6000:ed0a:f00:cc06:11b1:4c97:52b2 prefixlen 64 deprecated autoconf temporary 
	inet6 2605:6000:ed0a:f00:b5c7:15a7:5e1c:eb9c prefixlen 64 deprecated autoconf temporary 
	inet6 2605:6000:ed0a:f00:e0c2:a431:7457:cdc2 prefixlen 64 deprecated autoconf temporary 
	inet6 2605:6000:ed0a:f00:d9b3:6c23:9f24:d589 prefixlen 64 autoconf temporary 
	nd6 options=1<PERFORMNUD>
	media: autoselect

All of the "temporary" IPv6 addresses are randomly generated address. All of the "deprecated" ones are old ones the device is no longer using but is remember in case it receives incoming connection attempts. The plain "autoconf" address (neither deprecated nor temporary) is, as you can see, based on the hardware MAC address is is basically never used for outgoing connections as a result.

I Plan to Stick Around

Not sure if I'm missing something but these latest conversations seem very complicated/technical lol

I have been running my Ignite setup in Bridge Mode for 4 weeks now with my Google WiFi Router/AP's and have not had any issues. TV works on all 3 set top boxes, Netflix works great as well and IgniteTV app works I can watch live TV even when not at home (on the designated channels that allow this).

I moved my Modem to the demarc so that I could have Home Phone throughout the house as the installer took the lazy way out but everything works as it should. Got my bill with the install fees and additional costs of the service compared to what I have been paying and almost fell on the floor but that's the price to pay I guess. The convenience of just being able to move a box anywhere WiFi is available has already paid for itself.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JeromeM, what other XB6/Xi6 users are running into is the fact that the original combo works as it should when the XB6 modem is running in Dual Stack mode (IPV4 & IPV6).

When you bridge the XB6 and run your own router in Dual Stack mode, the Netflix app on the Xi6 does not work.  When you run the router in IPV4 mode only, the Netflix app works as it should. 

I had an ongoing conversation not too long ago, perhaps it was with you, where it was determined that the google routers did not have the necessary selection to run Native IPV6.  So by default, google routers are running IPV4 and as a result, the Xi6 stb works as it should, including the Netflix app.

I've Been Here Awhile

Sounds like I'm in a similar situation to most here.

I have three xi5 boxes and an xb6 modem as well as a Google onhub tplink tgr1900.

Can I use the remote code sequence posted earlier, allowing me to change the wifi network on my xi5 boxes to the ssid of my Onhub? Then just turn off wif on the xb6?

Or should/can I change the default ssid on the xb6 to the same as my Onhub, then turn off wifi on my xb6, then put it into bridge mode?

Thanks!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Smoothie you should be able to use the code sequence as detailed in the following post to change the Xi6 wifi SSID and passphrase to your own SSID and passphrase:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Rogers-Ignite-TV-Alternate-wifi-connection-possibilities/m-p...

Then you could simply turn off the XB6 wifi.  

The one point to keep in mind is that the XB6 will provide both IPV4 and IPV6 addresses to any connected devices whereas the Onhub looks like its only able to support IPV4 for its connected devices, which keeps the Xi6 stb satisfied. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks. Got to the wifi menu and selected my ssid. TV work but not Netflix.
I get a NW-2-4 error

Any ideas?
I've Been Here Awhile

Never mind. Seem to work now. It just asked me to log into Netflix again.

Thanks!! No to update my other 2 boxes and turn off wifi on my Roger's modem.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Smoothie, when you change the wifi network that the Xi6 connects to, restart the Xi6, otherwise it will probably be looking for the previous IPV6 address that it was using, now unreachable thru the Onhub. The restart should probably flush the IPV6 address and force IPV4 (only) operation. 

I'm Here A Lot

I've been struggling to get my IPTV boxes to work with my own router after setting the Rogers modem to bridge mode.  I have them connected and all that, no issues there.

I verified that my router has IPv6 disabled.

I have connected my IPTV boxes via wireless 5GHz.

YouTube works fine.

The guide works fine.

...but when I go to live TV it just goes black and then eventually gives me an error code.

I use a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router if that helps.

ANY assistance would be most appreciated!

Topic Stats