Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

@Pauly wrote:

since people are reporting the modems can be bridged and the iptv boxes will work in bridge mode, does that means any internet traffic consumed by the iptv boxes in bridge mode count towards your data usage allotment or is it somehow excempt (aka net neutrality) from it by some software in the back end which checks the traffic used by this box and excempts it from your usage allotment be cause its an iptv box?

For now, it seems that you need the unlimited 500 or gigabit Internet packages, so... effectively this is academic. If they were to move back towards metered plans, then that would be a very good question.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Thanks VivienM. That makes sense about them offering unlimited internet tiers right now so usage wont be impacted. So that explains why the requirement to bundle all 3 services. What if down the road someone wants just the tv only lets say they work for a TPI (THIRD PArty Internet) and already get internet at a very good discounted rate they would be very upset to sign up for a second internet. Rogers must figure a way to zero rate the internet down the road just like how bell has figured out how to

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Pauly wrote:
Thanks VivienM. That makes sense about them offering unlimited internet tiers right now so usage wont be impacted. So that explains why the requirement to bundle all 3 services. What if down the road someone wants just the tv only lets say they work for a TPI (THIRD PArty Internet) and already get internet at a very good discounted rate they would be very upset to sign up for a second internet. Rogers must figure a way to zero rate the internet down the road just like how bell has figured out how to

I think figuring that out will be the lowest priority (unless required by a regulator). I note that in Shawland, AFAIK, you still have to have Internet (150+) to get the Comcastic Blue Sky TV. And Blue Sky isn't crazily IP based like this thing.

Frankly, I think that things are going to go in the opposite direction - i.e. rather than find ways to separate this from you buying Rogers' internet product, I think they are going to increase the importance of the internet service and deemphasize the rest. I would not be surprised if an Apple TV client, say, or a client for major smart TV vendors was eventually released, making the Xi6 box more or less optional. 

It's important to step back and look at the whole vision behind this thing. The starting point is a completely wireless-enabled home with mesh wifi to support all your modern gear. One magical gateway router modem box thingy to power everything, then everything wireless. The TV STBs are tiny little things that don't look like your parents' Cisco STBs. Then you have the home phone service that, frankly, seems to be an afterthought (and I think if we looked at the pricing in detail, we'd find they're not really charging for the home phone). The funny thing is, for a cable company, this utterly deemphasizes the old-fashioned coax that... well... defined cable until now. This entire thing could be delivered over a fiber uplink or, in theory, an LTE uplink in rural areas. 

The industry faces what I gather is a huge challenge in that young 'millennials' moving away from their parents' houses don't sign up for paid TV services. (I grew up in the 1990s when all respectable people had cable TV, so honestly, I can't relate...) Those customers consider their Internet connection (and their smartphone) their primary telecommunications service. The primary objective of Ignite TV, for better or worse, appears to be to offer a TV service that those millennials will consider cool and will motivate them to spend more money than for plain old basic Internet. Offering it without the fast Internet connection bundled... just seems to defeat the vision. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Separating the internet from the up tv is difficult since they are not using the same channel. 200 channels of 4K requires a lot of bandwidth. What I think Rogers is doing is carving an internet chanell off a full gigabit up tv connection. They could assign that channel to a TPA but it’s unlikly they would reduce the data rate, as they need it for iota. The other reason they are moving to pitchers is that they can’t fit more 4K channels onto the current RG cable. They can ony divide the analog space so much before they run out of capacity for more channels.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well the only reason I asked is because Bell was bundling it together at first and then got into trouble by the CRTC and was forced to un-bundle it so you can order IPTV as a standalone but they still install the modem gateway which connects to their IP Boxes but when you connect to wifi , you can not surf because you are not subscribed to internet.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Datalink wrote:

Edit:  It might be worth an experiment just to see if Merlin has fixed it by accident.

You might want to ask Merlin directly - he is normally pretty responsive and he lives in Ontario.  He has a forum in the SNB forum - or at least he used to.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Either that or get him to holler into Asus's ear ..... fix your stateful IPV6!!  I think he has enough to worry about these days with the closed off sections of the Asus firmware.  You would think that Asus would be a little more helpful in his direction given that his firmware is the reason that a good number of router owners actually go out and buy Asus routers. 

I've Been Here Awhile

I have the IPTV and have tried Bridge mode using my unifi secure gateway   About every 11 minutes my up-link would drop out for about 8 to 10 seconds.

I have a same problem when I first switch to Rogers 1 Gig service.    After some firmware upgrades the problem disappeared.     So I did a reset and now use the Modem as the Router too.

All seams good now.    I have a Unifi low power access points in each room that are POE hard wired back to a Unifi switch 

As long as you program the same SSID that was first setup to the IPTV box you can turn off WiFi on the Rogers Modem / Router and use your own WiFi to distribute your single through out the house 

Picture quality is excellent.    Remote reprocess is as fast or faster than Bell Fibe 

I would like to be able to have my modem back in bridge mode.  As this modem seams tio have issue with UPnP setup 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gduesbur1 there is a secret squirrel method of selecting a wifi network for the Xi6 tv box.  Have a look at the following post:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Rogers-Ignite-TV-Alternate-wifi-connection-possibilities/m-p...

With that, you should be able to reset the Xi6 to use your own wifi network SSID and passphrase. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Well I think I figured it out! 

I went back and bridged my modem to take another stab at this. I set the IPv6 to Native, DHCP-PD enable, and changed the auto configuration setting to Stateful. I set the IP Pool starting address to 0001 and the ending to fffe just like my XB6 has. I clicked on apply and let it come back up. All of the address auto populated. I then pulled the power on the router for 30 seconds and then fired it back up. 

Tried my TV and clients and they all work! I didn't realize that 0's can be suppressed with 2 colons when displaying an IPv6 address. In the System Log/IPv6 tab the addresses are displayed like this: aaae:aaae:aaae:aaae::a4c1 (I changed the real address to aaae) and I was used to seeing something like: aaae:aaae:aaae:aaae:aaae:aaae:aaae:a4c1. So the addresses I was looking at appeared to be incomplete but they are actually aaae:aaae:aaae:aaae:0000:0000:0000:a4c1. Even my iPhone displays its IPv6 with this notation. I think the crucial step I was missing was not fully shutting down the router which I think is recommended when changing these IPv6 settings.

My only concern at the moment is that Netflix does not work, but it's the only thing not working so I am hoping that it is an issue for everyone Smiley Wink

Topic Stats