Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Let me just get the order straight.

- Current modem SSID = XXXXXX, and boxes connected to it.
- change that SSID on the modem to YYYYYY (which is what your 3rd party router is set at)

- The box itself changed over on its own to the new SSID of YYYYYY?
(Almost makes me think that its somehow still PAIRED in the background with modem? Somewhere we cant see with our access)

- Bridge the modem to the router... and they connect?

So we APPEAR to have a way to get it working! Yay!

I wonder if there is a way of skipping the SSID change part.
But even if there isn't, thats not for setup.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

Let me just get the order straight.

- Current modem SSID = XXXXXX, and boxes connected to it.
- change that SSID on the modem to YYYYYY (which is what your 3rd party router is set at)

- The box itself changed over on its own to the new SSID of YYYYYY?
(Almost makes me think that its somehow still PAIRED in the background with modem? Somewhere we cant see with our access)

- Bridge the modem to the router... and they connect?

So we APPEAR to have a way to get it working! Yay!

I wonder if there is a way of skipping the SSID change part.
But even if there isn't, thats not for setup.

Yes that is correct. I imagine since it was connected with WPS it updated itself to the new SSID because of that?

Apparently in a previous firmware version when you went to settings in the "Network" settings area where we now see what network it's connected to you could actually just choose a different network, that's been removed now.

So for now the way to do it seems to be with changing the SSID. Though I never tried to just turn on bridge mode and see if it figured itself out or gave me a screen on the boxes that asked what network to connect to. It would be interesting for someone to try that.

I went to my other 2 TV boxes and they were on the new SSID and TV worked without issue I didn't have to power them off at all.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not at home right now to look, etc.

There is no WPS button or anything on the external, bottom, etc of it?

If the WPS is only able to activate via software.. this may the the one limitation and forcing this method.

But at least its doable right now.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

Not at home right now to look, etc.

There is no WPS button or anything on the external, bottom, etc of it?

If the WPS is only able to activate via software.. this may the the one limitation and forcing this method.

But at least its doable right now.

The TV Box has a WPS button underneath, that's how the tech connected each box to the router/modem during setup. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Wonder if the wps button works after the initial pairing.

IE someone could save some time by bridging then doing the WPS button.

(Though wps isn’t super safe. It would be a turn on, pair, turn off in my opinion)

I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:
Wonder if the wps button works after the initial pairing.

IE someone could save some time by bridging then doing the WPS button.

(Though wps isn’t super safe. It would be a turn on, pair, turn off in my opinion)

If you have a router that has WPS and you want to bridge then use WPS that's a possibility but not a great one. IF you wan to use Eero or Google Wifi etc. it doesn't support WPS. Of course once you bridge the modem you can't use WPS on the Rogers Modem after since it's bridged Smiley Happy

But if you wanted to go back to "configuration as installed" after for some reason and you unbridged the modem then you can use the WPS button to re-pair it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats true.
It was paired first with the modem.. before he set up the Eero here..

Well, doesnt seem to be a CLEAN solution so far.  But at least appears that there IS a solution for the time being.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

BWAHAHA! I got the magic password!

One of my boxes was having wifi issues.. kept saying no signal.. but it was like 10 ft from one of the Eero units.
Called in, guy said that it likes to always connect to the one AP it first paired with.  Which happened to be the MAIN hub in the basement.
Gave me the code.  Said NOT to auto choose (if you have more than one AP broadcasting) as there it no way to differentiate.  Said to type in manually the SSID, and the password.  It will pick the strongest with that SSID.
Fixed, and now connected to the one upstairs!

Magic code!
This should now help with people connecting to their own bridged modems.

Exit for 5 seconds, down, down, 9434

Takes you to a WPS / manual setup screen.

ENJOY Smiley Very Happy

I Plan to Stick Around

So I am A bit confused, Does the Ignite TV Box not have a way to manually connect to Wi-Fi because I have never used a modem in bridge mode and I will never do that because I already have a pfSense router and Ubiquiti AP's all around the house. If this is what will be replacing standard cable in the future I would like to know how the setup of these devices works and how much bandwidth they use. If 3 people are using separate TV's how much bandwidth does it consume also does it have the ability to remotely schedule PVR recordings? How much space do you get to record? Will they have different plans for storage since it is cloud based

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@stepy2015, yes, there is a way to connect to a wifi network as seen here:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Rogers-Ignite-TV-Alternate-wifi-connection-possibilities/m-p...

If you are running pfsense router, then your modem should be running in Bridge mode where the modem acts as a modem only.  If you've never switched the modem into Bridge mode intentionally, then the modem has been running in Gateway mode, acting as modem and router, and you then have a double NAT situation occurring.

Bandwidth, according to the Ignite TV concierge, the tv bandwidth runs on top of your own bandwidth.  So, you should be able to do what you want to do, without the tv bandwidth affecting your own down/up bandwidth.  That sounds good in theory, but, given that the modem has gigabit ports (to the best of my knowledge), if you happen to be downloading something at 1 Gb/s, something's gotta give.  You can't cram more than 1 Gb/s down a 1 Gb/s connector.  Not that you would ever be running gigabit downloads for an extended period of time.  So, the bandwidth question is an interesting one .....

Remote scheduling, @Gdkitty can probably provide more details. 

Recording space:  apparently 200 hours per account. 

Topic Stats