Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Yesterday my wifi went off, I factory resetted the eero and now everything is working. I tried a speedtest on the eero app and I am getting 730 and 14. I guess that’s reasonable on the gigabit plan. I am just wondering one thing, when I was on chat with technical support they said they can’t guarantee gigabit speeds if my eero isn’t bridged, and I think that’s stupid because I should be getting gigabit speeds no matter what.

Does anyone know if I have to have the wifi off modem and bridged eero setup to get full 1GBPS speeds?
I Plan to Stick Around

@sbeckenstein: A couple of things:

1.  As a network guy, I believe you are going to be hard pressed to get 1000Mbps outside of a lab certification network stack.  Between two reasonable Gigabit devices with a crossover cable or through a good network switch, you should be able to get about 950Mbps using iperf with Jumbo MTU frames.

2.   I used to be able to get a download result of about 950Mbps on the original Rogers Speedtest (https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/internet-speedtest) while on Rogers Ignite Gigabit with the Hitron CODA 4582.  After the switch to the XB6 and from a directly connected (Gigabit Ethernet) computer, I am unable to get above 500Mbps on Rogers Speedtest.  However, I suspect that is a problem between the Rogers TV Intranet and their Speedtest site.  Using the Ookla Speedtest App on OSX, gives almost a 950Mbps result.

3.  Recognize that 1000Mbps is the maximum in the best case scenario.  To test that, you need to be directly cabled in to the first device (XB6) with at least a Cat5e cable and no interface errors.  Adding the eero, connecting through a switch or using WiFi will not improve on that result.  You will not be able to reach 1000Mbps using the eero WiFi (802.11ac).

4.  The best eero Speed Test results I have in my history are in the low to mid 900's.  I always have upload speeds greater than 30Mbps.

5.  Rogers uses marketing speak to provide "a maximum download speeds of up to 1 Gbps for Ignite Internet Gigabit."  They know it is not possible to deliver 1000Mbps even in the best case scenario.  Also recognize that since they deliver Ignite TV and Home Phone through the same Gigabit Ethernet cable, it is not possible to get 1000Mbps Internet at the same time; the math just doesn't work.  As an aside, commercial providers will put you on a 10G interface if you order a 1000Mbps service.

So to answer your question: you are never going to see 1Gbps on the eero Speed Test regardless of configuration.  You may get a high number (950Mbps) if you disable the WiFi and other devices so nothing is competing for the bandwidth.

Edit: For typo.

I Plan to Stick Around

Well I’m now getting 657 and 15 on my latest speed test. I’m just wondering if my eero has to have IPV6 enabled or disabled for TVs and all features to work? I think eero’s smart queue management helps devices get as much bandwidth as needed.

Anyone know if the IPv6 have to be enabled or disabled?

Thanks

Good morning @sbeckenstein!

I do not recommend disabling IPv6, we cannot guarantee full functionality if you do. There is also the future inevitability of Internet brownouts once all IPv4 addresses are assigned. If you do not have IPv6 available when this happens, you won't be able to connect to the Internet until an IP address lease is freed up.

There's nothing wrong with you testing this out to see if it works for your current network setup, however! I just want you to be aware of the downsides. 

Regards,

RogersCorey

I Plan to Stick Around

I have been using the Ignite setup in Bridge Mode for a few days now, with Google Wifi. 

Initially with the Ignite modem, the speed was decent when i was next to it, however moving to the basement, the speed went from 200mbps (which is really bad considering i was next to it) to 20mbps. With Google wifi (since it is a mesh system) i get around 100mbps on a good day around the house. 

Hard wired to the Ignite box, the speed ranges from 91-98 mbps

Is it just me or the new ignite box isn't as great as they say it is?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Juneid77 I won't speculate on that last question Smiley Happy

Can you have a look at the following post, which answers a slow wifi performance question very similar to yours.  Have a look at the wifi settings and adjust your settings if necessary to match.  Then, as indicated, load inSSIDer and the Lizard Systems wifi scanner to have look at your wifi environment.  Hopefully any required changes to the wifi settings and channels will improve your wifi throughput. 

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-Hitron-CODA-4582-Hardware/m-p/435730#M55170

Please let me know how this turns out.  The wifi settings should be generic to any modem or router. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I have 500bps internet and I consistently get ~600bps at Rogers and non-Rogers sites.

My Wi-Fi using my LG v30 is ~220bps near the modem and ~175 on the next floor. My wife's Ipad mini get > 300 bps near the modem.

Two of my terminals are hard wired and one is Wi-Fi. All work great.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the suggestion. However using Google wifi, it does all that automatically.

On wifi I get almoat 500mbs when I'm next to the Google wifi that's hard wired to the ignite box, however when my Macbook Pro is hard wired, I get at best 250 mbps.

Obviously when rogers sends their tech support, I get full speed, when they leave it goes back to below mediocre.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Juneid77, when you indicate that you're running a hard wired test with the MacBook Pro, is that via ethernet, or is that via gigabit ethernet to USB 3.0 or gigabit ethernet to Type C adapter?  

I Plan to Stick Around

My apologise, I failed to mention, it was using an Ethernet cable
Topic Stats