Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

@sbeckenstein: I believe I have similar hardware are you described at 09-16-2018 11:47 AM in this thread.

After my Rogers installation, I put my XB6 in bridge mode so I could use all the features of the eero mesh.  @StatsMan recommended switching the XB6 back to default and putting the eero into bridge mode.  So far it has been working.  My eero daily Speed Test has been reporting results between 250 - 850 Mbps download.

I am still in that configuration; though I am hoping other users will be able to provide a solution to get us back to using the eero as the router.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi,

I know that I can switch the eero to bridged, but I don’t want to because I want to have eero plus and pausing profiles in the app. I am just wondering if bridging the modem will make the speeds higher?
I Plan to Stick Around

@waverate wrote:

@sbeckenstein: I believe I have similar hardware are you described at 09-16-2018 11:47 AM in this thread.

After my Rogers installation, I put my XB6 in bridge mode so I could use all the features of the eero mesh.  @StatsMan recommended switching the XB6 back to default and putting the eero into bridge mode.  So far it has been working.  My eero daily Speed Test has been reporting results between 250 - 850 Mbps download.

I am still in that configuration; though I am hoping other users will be able to provide a solution to get us back to using the eero as the router.

Actually, what I suggested, and how I am setup, is not to bridge the Arris modem but to leave it as a router with the WiFi, both 2.4 and 5 GHz, disabled. The mesh routers then distribute the WiFi signal throughout the house. I do not have the Eero mesh system but am using two Asus routers in mesh mode with one as a mesh router and the other as a mesh node

I Plan to Stick Around

I don't think everyone understands my setup, my setup is 

COAX from rogers ------------------MODEM/ROUTER(wifi off, not bridged)--------------------Primary Eero-----------------Switch

I am just wondering, you are saying to bridge the eero, correct? I see that you are recommending this, but I don't see the upside of it. If my modem is a good modem it should be releasing ethernet speeds of 1GBPS realistically (but not really, I don't think anyone has ever hit 1 gigabit per second with this modem), so why would bridging my eero and turning the wifi off on the modem make a difference.

The downsides are that: I can't use eero plus (which I pay monthly for), I can't block unwanted wireless devices on the app, I can't pause family profiles on the app, and I can't block ethernet connections.

I Plan to Stick Around

@sbeckenstein  - your setup is the same as mine with the exception that I am not using Eero mesh. As noted above I am using two ASUS routers in AiMedh mode. The advantage of this is that I am able to do all the things that you say you are unable to do. This setup works well for me.

Also, I am on the 500Mb download plan. My download speeds vary from 350Mbps during the day, when traffic in my neighbourhood seems to be busiest (must be a lot of people working from home, lol), to as high as 690Mbps in the middle of the night. Download speeds on Wifi in the basement also vary from 70Mbps (downstairs in the basement) to as high as 350Mbps (upstairs closer to the router).

I Plan to Stick Around

@sbeckenstein I am not too different:

COAX —-> XB6 modem (wifi off, routed mode) —-> C2960 switch —> eero Hub (bridged) —> eero Beacon (qty 3)

I would love to bridge the XB6 and run the eero Hub in routed mode for eero plus.  However when I tried that, the Xi6 set top boxes performed weirdly (couldn’t watch Live TV but could playback recorded; no On Demand, etc).  Switching back to the above config works.

I previously had the eero Hub in routed mode with eero Plus while I was on Gigabit Ignite with the HITRON modem.  I was able to get 950Mbps; which I considered close enough to 1Gbps and I was enjoying using the paid features of eero Plus.  Now, I can’t get above 850Mbps with the XB6.

The only upsides I see to having the XB6 in routed mode are:

1.  Rogers does not support bridging the XB6, nor

2.  The Xi6 set top boxes do not seem to function correctly.

Right now, those are two important reasons for me to keep the eero Hub in bridged mode.

I Plan to Stick Around

So, if your ignite tv doesn’t work with your modem bridged, just don’t bridge the eero, that’s usually how I use it. All I do is restart the ignite tv after the reboot to unbridge the eero than boom, they are connected to eero. In case anyone is wondering, I bridged my modem yesterday and I got a whole lot of up speeds. Ignite tv works perfectly still.
I Plan to Stick Around

@sbeckenstein: Good to hear you have it working for you.

I had that setup work for me for a couple of weeks and then the Xi6’s started acting up.  If you can let us know if that is still working for you after a couple of weeks, that would be great.  I’ll give it a try again.

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi,

Just wondering if I bridge the modem will it affect my tv’s.

Now, I have 2 routers in my home, one that all the tv’s are connected to and one (eero) that all our devices our connected to.

If I bridge it will it lower my speeds, my eero isn’t bridged currently, and I’m not getting gigabit speeds. I talked to Rogers and they said they can’t gaurentee the speeds if my equipment isn’t a correct setup. The setup should be the eero is bridged, but either way I should be getting close to gigabit speeds. I am currently getting like 140 and 8 with gigabit plan, and this isn’t a wireless test, it’s a test through the eero app.

Any suggestions?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sbeckenstein run a wired speedtest thru the modem itself to see what results you get.  What plan are you on, 150/15 or higher?  

When you run your speedtests, please include the www.speedtest.net Toronto Vmedia and Montreal Ebox servers in your tests 

Topic Stats