Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

No problem, just wondering.  Its odd that you end up with 500 Mb/s via wifi and only 250 Mb/s via ethernet.  The MacBook Pro has thee wifi antenna, so the wifi data rates with the MacBook Pro should be better than the typical laptop. I don't understand the lower ethernet rates, unless there's a problem with the ethernet cable or port connections.  Very strange indeed.  The wired rates out of the modem or thru the follow on router should be the same.

I Plan to Stick Around

Which I’ve tried to explain to technical support rep. I’ve had a technician coming to my place to look at it, same thing happened in front of him, higher Wifi speed than Ethernet. He said “we only check if the speed is good on WiFi and signals is good from the box”
I used the same cable that goes from the ignite box to the google WiFi, (which gives me 500mbps), in case my other cables doesn’t work properly.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, just out of curiosity, is the XB6 modem running in Gateway mode or Bridge mode, and is the Google router running in full router mode or Access point mode?  

What they should be configured as is as follows:

1.  XB6 in Gateway mode  --->  google router in Access Point mode

2.  XB6 in Bridge mode     --->   google router in full router mode. 

Now, if you happen have:

XB6 in Gateway mode  --->  google router in full router mode

what you have is a protected zone within a protected zone, and you have a double Network Address Translation (double NAT) situation running, where the XB6 runs the translation from external to internal address, and the google router does the same.  If you're not doing anything that needs port forwarding or high speeds, like gaming, then you can live with that configuration.  Its not ideal, but you can run your network and possibly not see any problems. 

There is always the possibility of some issue with the google router which might boil down to some setting that results in slower ethernet performance.  That would be a little strange, but, one has to keep an open mind when it comes to network issues.

If you run a wired test thru the modem and ended up with 500 Mb/s, that would point the finger at a google router setting or port problem, which could be a WAN port or LAN port problem.

I Plan to Stick Around

It’s currently in
2. XB6 in Bridge mode ---> google router in full router mode.

I’m considering to try XB6 in gateway mode —-> google WiFi as full router

Since google WiFi can’t be used as a mesh system if bridged. And I wouldn’t have WiFi coverage around the house after spending almost $400 on it.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just for test purposes I'd kick the modem into Gateway mode, then connect directly to it and run a speedtest in that configuration.  You should be able to see 500+ Mb/s thru the modem.  If so, then the question is, whats the issue with the Google router.  Don't know what you're using for a speedtest site, I recommend the www.speedtest.net Toronto Vmedia server these days. 

When thats complete, kick the modem back into Bridge mode and reconnect the google router.

I Plan to Stick Around

That’s the plan as i’m Literally fed up with that XB6.

I think the issue is that XB6 does not like to be put in bridge mode, hence why it creates issues for Google WiFi, and not eero.

I’ve used google WiFi for over a year now and I’ve never encountered any issue with it until now.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, but, you're seeing 500 Mb/s thru wifi thru the google router, but only 250 Mb/s via ethernet thru the google router, correct?  If my interpretation is correct that indicates that the modem is connecting to the google router correctly, otherwise you wouldn't see 500 Mb/s via wifi thru the google router.  

Assuming that you see 500 Mb/s thru the modem, with an ethernet connection to the modem, that takes the modem and MacBook Pro out of the picture.  The question at that point is, whats the issue with the google router?  

Has there been a recent update to the google router or the MacBook Pro?

I Plan to Stick Around

@Juneid77 Have you tried leaving the XB6 in gateway mode and disabling its WiFi? I know that WiFi is not your issue but my understanding is that if one wants to use one’s own router, Rogers recommends leaving the XB6 in gateway mode and disabling it’s WiFi
I Plan to Stick Around

This will be my next try. It’s all at my parents house and it’s not convenient for me . I’ll keep posted .
I Plan to Stick Around

The 200mbps is Ethernet from Rogers XB6. And WiFi through google (500mbps) , which is why it’s getting all confused of what’s happening
Topic Stats