Rogers IPTV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Rogers IPTV

Comcast X1????  Now I'm actually EXCITED for the Rogers IPTV launch.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Rogers IPTV

Why does this not surprise me - they have not had a lot of success at doing things in house - Atlantic Canada upgrades, and Ontario Navigtr and the perfect examples, and they have been at trying to develop their IPTV solution since 2012 with (built in house with primary vendors Ericsson and Alticast and dubbed “Eclipse) from

https://cartt.ca/article/updated-why-rogers-dumped-its-own-iptv-solution-x1-and-will-take-500-millio...

They once again got caught in an industry change over like they have experienced with Cisco and Technicolor, ANT and Espial, and ultimately the new solution companies did not provide as expected.

This time, Erikson has moved to Microsoft MediaRoom as the back end, which is the same framework that Bell uses.  The big issue with IPTV is not so much the set top box, as we all know we can do IPTV TV and OTT solutions with a table, a smartphone or things like Apple TV - Bell even can run on a Roku box for your second terminal - best of all worlds, and Vmedia is moving that route too, although they haven't got broadcast licensing fully nailed down yet.

The biggest part of making IPTV work is the backend media server model, and the transmission infrastructure.

It appears as stated in the linked article, although the in house testing was looking good, but it didn't scale to large numbers of concurrent users - no statement on whether that was a backend issue, or cabling infrastructure.

I know in my own neighbourhood, we have been having issues, as have others in other areas with signal strength, area outages, downloads failing, and unpredictable Internet speeds or complete outages for the last year.  The supposed rollout to support GB has not improved my services, it has made them unreliable. So they have a lot of issues on their hands at the moment, while other companies are getting pretty solid on their chosen solutions.

Since it won't come for another 2 years now, they have time to look at the full infrastructure, and they are certainly diving deep into the modem and infrastucture issues related to their Gb Internet, which is still not fully ready for prime time, but very close.

So now as Rogers customers, we are actually on technology standards that are aging, and we are left with the decision on whether we want to move to new standards, or just stay.

For me, I stay because, I am only a basic service user anyway, and I really don't care what is underneath it all, as long as it is generally stable, which with the recent completion of Nextbox Navigtr, things have been pretty stable for me, as well as some major area outages of all services have been resolved.  And the bottom line is that it meets my needs and the price is fair for what I use and my needs.  My contract is in place until November, but if there is any attempt to increase me to the suggested increase they claim, or to move me to the newer packages and related pricing, I probably won't be staying, or considering alternatives.

The business financial sector gave them a bit of a rap on the nuckles saying that unlike every other carrier in Canada, Rogers waited 24 months to move from in-house work, as Canada at this point just cannot compete with the big players who build solid solutions for IPTV. The article did suggest that the current boxes should work for the Comcast model which is nice - I just paid for mine and own it, so I see at least two years and maybe future use of it - and if it makes it more marketable to sell if I move on.

So the saga of lagging behind the competition on technology continues - and they used to say they were the leaders - not so much anymore.

I was pretty much predicting that this would fall out this way. The fact that they kept talking, in house development, and not being able to attach themselves to any of the world leaders in TV services, suggested that they were going to be in trouble soon - every other North American provider, and all in Canada now that Rogers has made the announcement has gone Comcast, or Microsoft.  Kind of looks like Espial, Cisco and Technicolor are going to be highly focussed on the European and Africa markets, where the two have a huge hold on the market.  It just doesn't seem that they could develop a solution for North America that companies would buy.

And if Rogers was the only one, no wonder they have had issues - these companies don't have the resources to dedicate to one player in North America, while focussed on the rest of the world.  They had hoped that they could penitrate the North American Market, but appears not possible against the well established players of Microsoft and Comcast.

For us, we will sit it out for now and see where things go, and since we are pretty basic users, we have no need to move, and if we do, we will probably cut the cord and home phone, leaving over the air, OTT, and cell phones.

It has been an interesting ride to watch though.

Bruce

Bruce