Rogers INTERNET discontinued next week I'm told by Rogers SalesPerson. NIGHTMARE signup experience!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers INTERNET discontinued next week I'm told by Rogers SalesPerson. NIGHTMARE signup experience!

What a nightmare this past few days have been!!!  A few days ago we tried to sign up for cable+internet. The person on the phone pushed us to get ignite so we signed up.  They made us run a CREDIT CHECK even though we've been customers for 20 years, so that hit our credit rating negatively.  Then we did some research and found out that ignite isn't what we want, and cancelled with an online chat operator.  Disconnected once during that chat, and operator was very pushy about ignite and finally I had to say "please I'm begging you to stop pushing ignite, I just want normal internet and cable", until finally 1.5 hours later I got them to cancel.  They said I would have to call back the next day to set up regular cable+internet.

So today we call up, and THIS lady won't do it. She says we HAVE To get ignite because rogers is no longer offering anything but ignite, and that they're phasing out the old PVR devices etc in a week and they'll stop working.  So we said fine, just give us cable for a week then. She was clearly lying because why would rogers continue to sell a service that would be gone in a week? Makes zero sense.  Every 5 minutes she would try to push IGNITE again, just RELENTLESS.  Finally after an aggravating hour, it looks like we're in the home stretch.  Then she asks for our permission to run a credit check again!!  They just ran one yesterday, and but she says they destroyed the records when we cancelled ignite and have to do it again. And every time they check your credit it reduces your credit rating, so we hung up.  Absolutely unbelievable, horrible customer service practices.

Now we have NO CABLE AND INTERNET and can't get it. I have heard great things about BELL but I guess that's our only choice.  This week involved 4+ phone calls, probably 6 hours with customer service, boiling blood pressures, lies, misunderstandings, conflicting information from operators, all because of this . ignite service that's being pushed, obviously on commission.

I guess I'm going to create a website to let the world know about this so they don't fall into the same pitfalls as we did... The world needs to know that rogers no longer offers cable and internet- I got it right from the horses mouth.

Highlighted

Re: Rogers INTERNET discontinued next week I'm told by Rogers SalesPerson. NIGHTMARE signup exper...

Hello, @KPC2019

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

It definitely should not be this difficult to have services installed at your address. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience that has been caused by this experience. We'd like to have someone contact you to discuss this matter further and find a resolution for you. 

Please send a Private message to @CommunityHelps so we can gather your contact information and have someone contact you. Not familiar with our Private messaging system? Click Here.

We look forward to your response.

RogersTony

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Rogers INTERNET discontinued next week I'm told by Rogers SalesPerson. NIGHTMARE signup experien

@KPC2019  this is the most flagrant abuse I've seen in a long time and aligns perfectly with all the complaints I've seen. Clearly Rogers needs to reevaluate its marketing and fire these predators. Rogers is not interested in customer support anymore except to upsell you. I've been a cable customer for decades and have a grandfathered VIP package. I've seen no indication of regular cable being discontinued in the near future. If that happens, I'm ready to jump ship and go to a plan my ISP has that's similar to Ignite, but cheaper. Even though Rogers current cable packages are a lot less channels for a lot more money, I can't see why they wouldn't give them to you.

LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers INTERNET discontinued next week I'm told by Rogers SalesPerson. NIGHTMARE signup experien

Fwiw, I've seen a posting from another customer indicating that Rogers wouldn't offer the traditional cable TV service with Nextboxes, starting in 2020.  Starting in 2020, the only tv service that was going to be offered is the IPTV, or Ignite TV as its called.  That was a comment that apparently was passed to the customer from a customer service rep.  Who knows, maybe Rogers decided to push that date up prior to 2020.  

In any event, IPTV is the future.  Its only a matter of time before thats all that will be available over a cable internet service.  I doubt that Rogers will force users over to the Ignite TV service, most likely if you have it, you'll be grandfathered in, the only question that comes up is what happens when a Nextbox goes unserviceable, or perhaps the customer wants another box or two to go along with the existing service?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the information! So ultimately if there is no choice then I'll of course be forced to use newer technology. But from what I've read in this forum and elsewhere about Ignite, it isn't ready for prime time yet. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but I can't risk it. I've heard you can't view the program guide without obscuring what you're watching, that the internet service might disconnect a dozen times in a day, that it uses your home wifi which for me has NEVER been any good despite trying 5 different high end high power wireless routers (so I prefer a direct connection to the wall). I make my living doing mission critical development online and can't have any connectivity surprises, and in my spare time I take my TV watching seriously and don't want to be annoyed with weird options and features that only a millennial could puzzle out. So from what you're saying I could get grandfathered in for at least awhile, so hopefully I can enjoy reliable service for another year or so before I'm forced to join the modern world where nothing works right 🙂

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rogers INTERNET discontinued next week I'm told by Rogers SalesPerson. NIGHTMARE signup exper...

Hi Tony,

While I appreciate your reply, I can't bring myself to go down this rabbit hole again, I've done this too many times this week already and I already know how it would end.  Unless you can promise that I'll be able to get cable and TV service without IGNITE, and that you won't be hitting my credit history with yet another pointless credit check, then I won't be making any more tedious calls or chats with Rogers. I'm still shaking with frustration and anger from the past 4 days. Rogers must be offering reps a trip to Hawaii or something for getting the most Ignite signups, because they're the thirstiest bunch I've ever encountered.  Here's what I don't get. You have a customer here willing to pay $200 per month for fast internet and a reliable TV signal with a nice simple coaxial connection, I'm not interested in wireless nonsense or talking remotes.  Why is this so difficult? I guess I'll go to a physical store and maybe they'll let me grab a modem and PVR and put me out of my misery.... But as for more phone calls, I can't risk another 2 hours of my valuable time to get the same runaround.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I've read a lot of those types of complaints. Well, I'm hoping I'll have better luck at a physical location. Maybe they'll be less likely to lie to my face... and maybe I can bribe them or something. I'm really kind of stuck since in the town I'm moving to there is no other high speed internet, so by using a competitor's DSL out of spite I'd only be hurting myself. ..
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@KPC2019  at the present time there are DOCSIS 3.0 and DOCSIS 3.1 modems in use on the network.  The DOCSIS 3.0 modems are the black Hitron CGN3xxxxx Intel Puma 6 modems, of which there are a few models.  These are used on internet plans that run less than 1 Gb/s on the downstream side.  That modem model is found on the product sticker on the back of the modem.  No doubt there are probably a few grandfathered SMC3DGN and Cisco DPC 3825 modems around the network, but, they should be few and far between, so to speak. 

The DOCSIS 3.1 modems are the Hitron CODA-4582 (Intel Puma 7) which is used for the gigabit plan, and the Comcast XB6 which is used for the Ignite TV service.  There are two versions of that XB6, an Arris TG3482ER3 which is an Intel Puma 7 modem, and a Technicolor CGM-4140 which is a Broadcom BCM-3390 modem. 

Fwiw, I've run the CODA-4582 modem in Bridge mode with an Asus router behind it since Dec 2016 and that combination has been rock solid.  That 4582 is running a DOCSIS 3.1 Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplex (OFDM) channel for downstream ops instead of the usual discrete 6 Mhz wide channels as used by the DOCSIS 3.0 modems.  the upstream side runs the typical DOCSIS 3.0 6 Mhz wide channels, as used by every other modem on the network.  Some users have seen issues with this modem due to poor performance of the cable system in the lower 0 to 500 Mhz range.  Those complaints have decreased significantly, partly due to the firmware updates which allow the modem to run variable QAM levels within that OFDM channel, and possibly due to the field techs learning that the lower 500 Mhz range is vital at this point in time for DOCSIS 3.1 operations.  If the techs don't get it right, the OFDM channel will not operate as required.  

In terms of the two XB6 modems, its possible that Arris and Technicolor are going thru the same pains that Hitron went thru when the CODA-4582 modems were released.  It wasn't pretty, but, Rogers and Hitron worked very diligently to resolve the issues.  Despite the issues that many others had, I've never run into those issues, due in part to the apparent stability of the cable system in my area, and due to running the modem in Bridge mode with a router behind it.  I highly recommend that combination although I see that you've had problems in your home with wifi performance.  Fwiw, I'm very much of the same opinion, nothing beats a wired connection, which the fixed in place devices use in our home. No fuss, no muss, it just works.  Wifi takes fine tuning and an awareness of the wifi environment so that you know exactly who else around your home is using what channels.  We can help with that (maybe) unless your in a totally overcrowded wifi environment.  Even then, it might be possible to use the Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) channels.  Just depends on whether or not your home is close to an airport and its weather radar.  

In terms of being grandfathered in with Nextbox equipment in the home, it might be several years before Rogers says sayonara to that equipment, shifting customers slowly over to the XB6 modem and the Xi6-T set top boxes.  By that time, the growing pains should be long passed. 

Fwiw.......

Edit:  It might be worth considering a TPIA, such as Teksavvy or Start.  If you have cable service, then most likely one of those provide service in your area.  They would use Rogers infrastructure, but, you're a customer of the TPIA company.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Ignite is TERRIBLE. I made the HUGE mistake of switching from Bell Fibe about a month ago and have had nothing but problems. Not ONCE in two years did I ever have a problem with Fibe. NOT ONCE.

The WiFi is terrible. Drops apps while watching. Then will all of a sudden go back to the app later while I've started watching something else.

They said "pods" would fix everything. They didn't. Still having the same problems.

I'm pretty much ready to just cancel and go back to Bell at this point which really makes me angry because my business is having a huge blowup with Bell about "hacked" phone lines but what can you do at this point?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@15JStone  What equipment were you using when you had Fibe Internet? HomeHub 2000? HH3000?  Is your Rogers modem placed in the same location where your Bell modem used to be or somewhere else in your home?

One other major difference between Bell and Rogers is that Fibe Internet is IPv4 only; Rogers provides both IPv4 and IPv6, and this can cause complications on some devices with problematic IPv6 support.

Adding Pods should indeed improve WiFi coverage in your home but won't be of any help whatsoever if your problems are actually being caused by a problematic Internet connection or a protocol-related issue that's causing connectivity problems with some of your devices.