cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Dropping AMC

Stinkylouise
I've Been Here Awhile
"Occasionally, we make changes to our channel offerings to reflect the evolving viewership trends of our customers. Starting January 1, 2020, AMC will no longer be available as part of your TV package. If you pay a separate monthly service fee for this channel, you will no longer see this charge on your bill as of this date. We understand that a change like this can be frustrating and we apologize for the inconvenience."

**Labels Added**
160 REPLIES 160

Re: Rogers Dropping AMC

julray
I Plan to Stick Around

Also if you anybody is really upset about Rogers taking away AMC because it's their favorite channel, then just leave. There are many options to watch the new episodes of the TWD if you have internet. That's what I would do anyway. I wouldn't be switching to Bell though.. could be in the same boat down the road. If AMC is overcharging so much that Rogers decided to drop it, what do you think Bell is going to do when their contract is up? Personally I would be sending a message to AMC and Rogers, there are ways to watch the TWD if it that's important to you.

For all concerned with this, looks like Bell has announced that their dropping AMC as well:

https://twitter.com/Bell_Support/status/1205190761702023168

My guess is that AMC is taking a hard line in negotiations right now, maybe because TWD isn't as popular as it once was. 

julray
I Plan to Stick Around

Exactly as I thought, if Rogers is not willing to dish it out to keep AMC, why would Bell? So what's everybody going to do now who were going to drop Rogers for Bell? Dumb marketing move by Bell to announce so early..lol

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@julray wrote:

Dumb marketing move by Bell to announce so early..lol

Bell are probably required to provide certain advance notice unless the item is totally beyond their control.  It was mentioned earlier in this thread that people should not expect Bell to automatically carry AMC once the contract was up.

Ian_C1
I Plan to Stick Around

The company I signed up with is just expanding into our area, is installing their own fibre lines (not piggybacking on Rogers or Bell), and carries AMC, at way less than the two big ones are charging.

While I wait a few more months for that work to be installed, I'm switching to one of those smaller companies that uses Rogers lines.  I need to ask them if they can still offer AMC if they're using Rogers lines, but even if they can't, I'll take the nearly $100 less per month anyway.  Rogers is on limited time with me.

I'd share names - but my previous comments that did were edited.

julray
I Plan to Stick Around

"Bell are probably required to provide certain advance notice unless the item is totally beyond their control.  It was mentioned earlier in this thread that people should not expect Bell to automatically carry AMC once the contract was up."

Possibly.. but if that was the case I would expect a more formal statement, not a tweet.

julray
I Plan to Stick Around

500 MB Unlimited with 2 extenders(Pods), Two PVRs, Popular package for less than 120/month, free installation, $100 gift card. Can the smaller company beat that?

Ian_C1
I Plan to Stick Around

The smaller company offers 250 mbps, and is temporary until the new fibre company is up and running at 1 gbps.

But as for the smaller company now?  Don't need two PVR's for one TV in the house, popular package IS under $120/month, install is free because it's just adapting existing lines (Rogers wants over $100 to install their IPTV option), and I couldn't care less about that one time $100 gift card to bribe me into staying with Rogers.  As for the slower internet speed, I currently have an older package from Rogers at 100 mpbs, so the 250 is already an upgrade, 500 is overkill for what I'm used to.  And again, it's temporary for a few months.

The fibre company is also offering two PVR's (again, useless to me anyway), but the 1 gbps negates even the top speed offered by Rogers - and it is ALSO under $120/month.  The added benefit is that although the company is based in London, ON, they set up satellite offices in each region they serve, so I get to enjoy local service again.  They are community minded, as they already exist on the other side of my town and sponsor everything from Canada Day celebrations to Christmas events, and unlike Rogers (and Bell) which get a LOT of criticism on our town Facebook page, there has been only ONE person out of many that receive their service that has had anything bad to say about them.  When I spoke to them about my street, they replied within minutes, and even if they didn't - I have an office I can go to in minutes where they are extremely helpful - no more sitting on the phone for a half hour or more waiting for Rogers to answer a call, or using their messaging system and waiting at least an hour for a reply.

In short - for what I need, both blow away Rogers.

julray
I Plan to Stick Around

Installation was free for my Ignite.. didn't pay a penny. I know I have a pretty sweet deal. But I am very curious what other company is laying fibre and based out of London, ON. Is it FTTH? I live in Waterloo and can't find this company

Ian_C1
I Plan to Stick Around

Not FTTH.  😞

Ian_C1
I Plan to Stick Around
I believe it's London, anyway. Look at fibre options for internet/cable in Caledonia that aren't Bell or Rogers. 🙂

julray
I Plan to Stick Around

sent you a PM, can you please reply back? I did look and found nothing

Ian_C1
I Plan to Stick Around

Replied. 🙂

Ian_C1
I Plan to Stick Around

LOL, my new rank is rather ironic...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@julray wrote:  Possibly.. but if that was the case I would expect a more formal statement, not a tweet.

It'll probably be on the next bill.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Ian_C1 wrote:

Not FTTH.  😞

My guess is you don't understand the acronym FTTH (Fibre To The Home), since that's the only way to get Gibabit service, outside of Cable (Fibre to the node/curb)/RF-coax to the home.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Ian_C1 wrote:

The company I signed up with is just expanding into our area, is installing their own fibre lines (not piggybacking on Rogers or Bell), and carries AMC, at way less than the two big ones are charging.

My ISP and home phone provider, with  whom I've been for over 30 years also recently installed fibre in my area and and offers a TV package similar to Rogers Ignite, which has AMC available.  I'm considering dropping Rogers Cable and signing up for that, saving a bundle in the process.  If Rogers drops AMC, only offers it at extra cost, I'll be gone.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Ian_C1
I Plan to Stick Around

You're right.

I misunderstood the acronym FTTH.

By the way, I rechecked the package I discussed earlier, and I was slightly incorrect.  While I can get 1 gbps with the new company I'm going with, the package I will get at under $120/month will come with 250 mbps.

While that's slower than Rogers, my current deal with them is only 100 mbps, so it's still faster than I'm used to and well within what I need for usage.  With me being unhappy with Rogers, the difference between 250 and 500 is not enough to make me stay.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well... lets hope that no one has jumped ship yet...
https://twitter.com/Bell_Support/status/1205190761702023168

Bell is removing AMC as of Feb 1st.

Looks like my suspicions may have been correct.
That it may be renewal issues period with all carriers. 

Maddysmom
I Plan to Stick Around

I think it's ridiculous that any carrier/provider would cancel/not renew a contract with a network halfway through the television season! there are many AMC shows that have taken a break over the holidays, with return dates in the new year...so now all of us who watch these shows are out of luck! Bell and Rogers both suck! it's all about the money with both of them, their customers' satisfaction is irrelevant to them! bunch of money hungry you know whats! this angers me to no end! removing a HIGHLY popular channel from the lineup, not offering anything in its' place AND raising rates! brilliant! 

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

I saw my December Cable bill today. No mention of rescinding the dropping of AMC yet.  However, Rogers will be increasing the cost by $2 plus tax in February. That will put it over the $100 limit I've set myself. Time to seriously think about saying goodbye to Rogers Cable and figure out what the cost of bundling my TV with my internet and home phone on fibre with my ISP will be.  I'll probably lose a lot of channels I have with VIP, which I don't watch anyway, but the net cost will likely be less.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario