cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Dropping AMC

Stinkylouise
I've Been Here Awhile
"Occasionally, we make changes to our channel offerings to reflect the evolving viewership trends of our customers. Starting January 1, 2020, AMC will no longer be available as part of your TV package. If you pay a separate monthly service fee for this channel, you will no longer see this charge on your bill as of this date. We understand that a change like this can be frustrating and we apologize for the inconvenience."

**Labels Added**
160 REPLIES 160

Re: Rogers Dropping AMC

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hey guys!

I have to agree with every single one here. If Rogers didn't negotiate and lost the rights to AMC ( Which they knew for months) then they should be able either offer waives for anyone that's cancelling ( bundle contracts) or give a small credit. Most watch AMC and this is causing Rogers to look bad.

I am thinking my self of cancelling cable services with Rogers to bell however I will see what happens when they launch their new products in the next year and decide then.

Until then I'll be speaking to Rogers about a discount of some sort or something. They did this before and kept AMC. Now removing it causing more headaches. Guess Rogers doesn't want to pay what AMC is asking for.. They have enough money. They can buy arenas and towers but can't offer a simple channel and pay up the price? It's about customer service not " let's take every penny we can from customers while offering them less".

If a new email / communication comes in with pricing going up? I'll be furious my self as they take things away and never add anything.

Just like SHM. Their equipment are 3-4yrs old and don't offer HD+ or UHF cameras but offer 720P cameras.... Yet ask for $60 a month..

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Meowmix wrote:

I am thinking my self of cancelling cable services with Rogers to bell however I will see what happens when they launch their new products in the next year and decide then.

Until then I'll be speaking to Rogers about a discount of some sort or something.

Don't hold your breathe for a discount to compensate for reduced service. You can be sure that when new products are launched they will have less content for more money than previously. I've resigned myself to that business plan and will be dumping Rogers Cable some time in the future. Everything Rogers is dropping is available for free with the internet and a smart TV.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

GWAILIN
I've Been Here Awhile

This is a total boneheaded move by Rogers. AMC's The Walking Dead accounts for half the reason why I even have cable in the first place. At least I can line up Bell in time for the new year. They've been soliciting me with addressed admail for the past six years which generally get ripped up and tossed in the trash. I guess it's time to open one of those envelopes.

C'mon Rogers, give yer heads a shake. #SaveAMC #SaveAMC #SaveAMC 

iakovidis
I've Been Here Awhile
Agree completely! Looking into Bell shortly

harrisar
I've Been Around

I just found about Rogers getting rid of AMC. Is there anywhere I could stream the Walking Dead when it comes back in February? Or would I have to switch over to Bell?

GWAILIN
I've Been Here Awhile

There was no indication in the most recent bill of cable prices increasing, BUT if you use Rogers for internet services, apparently that's going up starting today (Dec 1st) by an additional $3/month plus taxes. 

jjjjy7
I Plan to Stick Around

If Rogers makes changes due to changing viewership trends, then why do I still see CBC in my available channel list?? 

*yes I am being facetious

Timothy1
I've Been Here Awhile

Well I'll have to start saving money to buy the series on either DVD or BluRay for TWD, FTWD and for the new spin off series. 

iakovidis
I've Been Here Awhile

I agree. 

kharma2001
I'm Here A Lot

I was just about to get Rogers for my boyfriend's apartment.  The technician is supposed to come tomorrow.  Now we are deciding whether we should just cancel and lose the black friday deal... or wait and hope this gets sorted out - and cancel in January, if they don't sort it out.

Either way - we won't stay with Rogers, if they don't offer AMC. Their programming is amazing... and Rogers is crazy if they're willing to lose customers over this.

mooseman2
I've Been Here Awhile

I watch mostly two things... the news and AMC.  Guess what will happen soon to my cable sub on Dec.30th?  I'll slap an antenna on the roof to get local channels, watch news channels through my Firestick on free apps and buy a sub with AMC directly.  There, done and I'll be saving a boatload of money.  There are lots of places to get content.  Cable is dead.

Why don't they get rid of completely useless channels like the Storage Wars channel, I mean OLN.  Seems like that's all that's on there.  We're paying for this garbage since we are forced to take it with whatever package we choose.

Edit:  Correction, you cannot subscribe to AMC Premier unless you already have AMC on your cable service, and they don't even list Canadian cable providers.  Dumb.  And they wonder why people go get it illegally.  Sell subs directly to people and cut out the cable middle man.

GWAILIN
I've Been Here Awhile
Don't sign/agree to a plan and get locked in for X years!
Second half of TWD Season 10 starts February 23rd. Plan accordingly. I am!
#BuhByeRogers

curwingar
I've Been Here Awhile
Back to Bell.

Well that sucks!!! Is there anything we can do?
We recently moved and had an opportunity to switch TV providers and the only channel we made sure we were able to get when comparing to Bell was AMC. Too bad I didn't see this earlier.

Feedback: when using the Rogers app, you don't see these kind of announcements until you download the bill. There should be some announcement pop up or board that's easier to access.

Maddysmom
I Plan to Stick Around

Sadly, as of Jan 1 2020, Rogers will no longer offer AMC as a channel and we will lose access to TWD. Off to Bell for me

All Rogers customers, regardless of their cable packages will be affected by this as Rogers will no longer be carrying AMC as part of their channel lineup at all as of Jan 1 2020. Stupid decision on their part as they will lose a LOT of customers over this decision.

yes, it is listed on the November bill. No more AMC at all on Rogers as of Jan 1 2020

I am sorry but for the prices Rogers charges their customers for less than stellar services, they can afford to renew with AMC and at least offer their customers something they actually want!

This is nothing more than a game of chicken, between Rogers and AMC, to see who will blink first.  Have a look at some of the search results from the last dispute in 2013:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Rogers+AMC+dispute&rlz=1C1PRFI_enCA774CA774&oq=Rogers+AMC+dispute&aq...

I'd expect to see more of this occur in the future.  With the advent of the Ignite TV system, Rogers will know exactly what you watch, when you watch it, if you record it and when you watch anything that has been recorded.  With those numbers available, Rogers will have the upper hand when it comes to any distribution negotiations with content owners.  Yup, its going to be an interesting future indeed. 

julray
I Plan to Stick Around

People still watch The Walking Dead? I would think the zombies are pretty much puddles by this point

julray
I Plan to Stick Around

I seriously doubt this decisions was fueled by lack of popularity of this network.. AMC is easily in the top 20. Rogers is making this decision despite what they know(analytics).

Square
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Was not shown on my November bill.  Does that mean I will keep receiving the channel?, lol

Jayzino
I'm a Regular

I got rid of my package that had AMC on it due to is costing too much so doesn't mean much to me... besides there's other ways to get shows from that channel.   😉

Ian_C1
I Plan to Stick Around

Well, I only just saw this announcement, as I was looking at my package.  I normally don't even view my bill for months at a time, so this would have been a not so nice surprise in February when TWD returns.

I have cable TV for two reasons - NHL and The Walking Dead.  Half of that will now be removed.

I pay over $200/month for cable/internet.

The internet has frequent blackouts for minutes at a time.  Some of my cable channels do not come through most of the time, always pixelated and no volume (ex. Leafs Nation Network).  Techs have had zero answer to why it happens, and I've put up with it forever (used to watch The Strain on FX before it as canceled, and that was the same issue).

I am still on their old HD VIP package.  I've heard of Ignite, but don't know much about it - it's internet cable as opposed to digital?  Do I need new hardware besides an Ignite cable box to replace the digital one?  My TV is just an HD flat panel, no smart TV stuff.  I've also discovered Ignite can get me internet at 10x the speed I have now, plus more channels (I believe) for CHEAPER than I currently pay for the old service - thanks for letting me know I'm unnecessarily paying more for less Rogers.  Standard for them though - when I canceled my home landline part of my package because I don't use a landline any more, the tech did that while FAILING to tell me it increased my monthly bill to do so.

Anyway, it doesn't matter.  If AMC is gone, I'm looking at other options.  Bell and whatever else is out there.  I haven't had Bell service in over 15 years and vowed to never go back - but I've had enough of the BS Rogers pulls.

If I can't find a cheaper option available to me - I'm just going to cancel my cable completely and use my unlimited internet to find anything I want to watch.  I should do that anyway - it would cut my bill in half.