Rogers Dropping AMC

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nibber
I've Been Around

Re: Rogers Dropping AMC

On the day AMC does not appear on my tv screen Ma Bell will be installing a satellite dish the next day.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Eventually down the road, I am sure digital cable will be discontinued.
But like other things.. some are eventually inevitable.  
Much like analog TV, it will disappear at some point..
Part of the issue, is the upkeep and everything to keep the technology going.  The cost to keep analog up and running was not worth the return.
Even regular digital cable, will start going that way.   There are very few companies still working on standard digital cable type boxes.. the development on them, etc.
Where IPTV is becoming more of the standard  on most TV providers now.

As for AMC, again take a look at my post above. 
I am not happy at all with the changes either.  BUT there may be more doing on here behind the scenes.

Cap07
I'm a Reliable Contributor

My wife and I are retired. Tech is whizzing past us every day. If they do away with digital cable in the next few years what will replace it? Will we have to get an internet-able TV to connect to Crave or Netflix or Disney, etc. I can imagine the problems resulting from that switch. Young people are used to scrapping hardware like game consoles every few years so will likely expect to shell out for new 3d viewscreens too.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Cap07 wrote:

If they do away with digital cable in the next few years what will replace it? Will we have to get an internet-able TV to connect to Crave or Netflix or Disney, etc.

What will replace digital cable is Internet Protocol TV (IPTV).  Bell's name for this is Fibe and Rogers name is IgniteTV.  The interface is not that dissimilar to digital cable, but offers a lot more services (like one box for Netflix, Prime, YouTube, "cable TV", etc)  You don't need a "smart" TV.  Also there's voice control and other features. Look at the various IgniteTV threads on this forum.  

There are some people who have issues with IgniteTV, but probably no more than with Digital Cable.

ronmohr
I've Been Here Awhile

http://chng.it/2LjDXKLv. Please sign this petition.
Dugi
I'm a Senior Contributor

Signed! I doubt that Rogers will even care though!

julray
I Plan to Stick Around

So I am not really a big fan of AMC, however I do understand that it could be one of my channels next (History, Discovery, Showcase, etc etc). I will sign petition.  Obviously no matter how many sign the petition you have made up your mind to drop this channel. I would love to see the data and analytics you performed to come to this decision. "Based on trends", I am willing to make a bet that AMC is in the top 50% of channels people watch the most. 

My question to Rogers is .. "How will you compensate your customers? Many people including myself make decisions based on the content you offer, AMC is a major influencer. You are going to no longer charge those who've added this channel as a stand alone option, what about those who decided to pay extra for a better bundle because AMC was included? Replacing AMC with a Fireplace 2 channel is not a fair exchange.. how about HBO. What about those customers who chose Rogers because the bundle offered included AMC at a lower price than what Bell offered? What's your contingency plan to keep those customers?

You decided to cut AMC, that's really too bad. But I would like to know what your plans are to replace such an iconic channel? What are you planning on doing to keep your customers happy??

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I too would like to see the data. 
Problem is.. a lot of it is probably not public and threfore they dont have to show it 😞

But the data might show things.
Yes, AMC might be a high watched channel... on say SUNDAY evening. (when TWD is on)
But how are its watching statistics outside of those times?  I cant say I have ever really watched AMC outside of Breaking Bad or TWD.

It might not be worth the MONEY, for the amount that its watched.
(and rogers wont say what money they spend on the channel itself, etc... but in the previous re-negotiations with channels in the US, some of the US carriers did release numbers and AMC were asking for crazy amounts)

Chewman
I've Been Around

I switched to Rogers from Bell a few months ago as it was a comparable product for a lower price. However, by dropping AMC I will be losing TWD which is one of the few shows I watch, and I have to pay extra for CTV Sci Fi for most of the others. Seriously reconsidering my choice.
julray
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty

I can't speak to what data Rogers used to base their analytics and trending on, but there are many studies online

https://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/the-top-basic-cable-networks-for-oct-2019/419694/

The statement by Rogers "..based on trending.." should be reinforced with some actual numbers. We don't need the raw data, but why not publish similar ranking details like we see in the survey embedded?

Regardless.. I would like to know what their plans are to replace the hole left by AMC.

In regard to everybody threatening/contemplating switching to Bell, what makes you think that they won't drop AMC when their contract is up? Of course Bell isn't dropping AMC right now, there is still term left on their contract.