Rogers Dropping AMC

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Dropping AMC

Huh.. looks like i miss read the information.
Looks like EVERYONE is loosing it.

That sucks.

Guess licensing renewal fell through 😞

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

So that brings up the obvious question. What will Rogers replace it with? Obviously nothing. When they first began this "channel realignment" as they called it, they substituted other channels for the ones they removed. Now all they do is periodically remove channels from legacy packages, saving money in licensing fees, yet the price keeps going up each year anyway.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
toolcubed
I'm a Reliable Contributor

All the more reason to eventually drop legacy tv service completely. As I mentioned before, it’s become more and more useless. For the few channels we actually watch, we can get them for free over the air with a digital/HD antenna. We stream everything else via Netflix, Prime, and Disney+

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Receiving freebie OTA broadcasts is fine if you're in a major city with numerous channels or if you live very close to the Canada / U.S. border.  If you're not in an OTA footprint, you're out of luck and have to resort to plan B, cable, satellite or possibly streaming.  

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. I live up by lake Simcoe.  Maybe with a much higher height antenna, I might get a few more.. but with standard equipment..  I get 3 channels with OTA.  Woohoo.

It will be an empty slot in the channel lineup for right now obviously.
It MIGHT be replaced with something? who knows.  But may not be instant either.  Would have to get the licensing with another channel, etc.

toolcubed
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Yeah it depends how far you are from the transmitter, but you’d be surprised what some of the newer antennas are capable of. For example, Winegard has one (it’s one of the larger units) that’s rated to pickup signal from 150 miles away.

aa210
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm on Popular and I also got the memo, I guess no more Walking Dead, I actually watch AMC quite abit.

nighthawk
I Plan to Stick Around

No more Better Call Saul, The Walking Dead or other AMC shows that many people like to watch. Too bad, I liked AMC. Rogers won't replace it with anything and still keep raising rates, but that's their way of doing business. Take away channels that people like and don't replace them with anything at all or with anything of significant value. Keep charging more for less.

Treating consumers like this will only drive them away from Rogers to other options that are available to watch the programming that they want from AMC.  This is how Rogers alienates their customers. It's things like this, the mistreatment of consumers, that builds up over time. Consumers don't forget; they will continue to harbour resentment for the way that Rogers keeps treating them. 

Rogers will make up an excuse and say that it is all AMC's fault but the point is that Rogers continues to treat its customers with disrespect and keeps taking them for granted. 

This is not meant to be an attack on Rogers as a corporation. So I ask that the moderator does not interpret it that way as I do not think that I am violating Rogers community forum guidelines. I am just saying that the reality is that many people will be upset when they turn on their television to watch The Walking Dead, like they do each week, and there is a message  on their television that says AMC is no longer available or they hear about it in the media.

Dugi
I'm a Senior Contributor

I have been told by Bell that they have no intention of dropping AMC, so that is where we will be heading. We are so sick of Rogers cancelling channels and never replacing them or lowering your bill. Losing Walking Dead, Fear the Walking Dead, and Better Call Saul is really a big deal for us. Also, when it appears that Rogers will be dropping digital cable, Fibe TV looks to be a far better alternative than Ignite TV.

Also the comment that "we make changes to our channel offerings to reflect the evolving viewership trends of our customers. Starting January 1, 2020, AMC will no longer be available as part of your TV package" is nothing but a canned, cut and paste. AMC is a popular channel that many people watch. "Evolving viewership trends" - pffft!

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

"Evolving viewer trends". What came first, the chicken or the egg? Seems to me people are leaving as a result of reduced content. So Rogers reduces content to make up for falling revenue.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario