Rogers Dropping AMC

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stinkylouise
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers Dropping AMC

"Occasionally, we make changes to our channel offerings to reflect the evolving viewership trends of our customers. Starting January 1, 2020, AMC will no longer be available as part of your TV package. If you pay a separate monthly service fee for this channel, you will no longer see this charge on your bill as of this date. We understand that a change like this can be frustrating and we apologize for the inconvenience."

**Labels Added**
Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
RogersCorey

Re: Rogers Dropping AMC

Good news Community!

We are pleased to announce that we have reached a fair agreement with the content provider to continue offering the AMC channel to our customers.

Regards,

RogersCorey

View solution in original post

All Replies
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not saying its a good thing, etc..
But truthfully, doesn't surprise me.

Not sure how many remember the big hoopla a number of years back with AMC.  Where AMC was broadcasting that 'rogers is planning on taking AMC away from you, contact here to make your voice heard'
It wasnt necessarily that Rogers was just going to drop it.  It was that their licensing deal with rogers was up for renewal.  And AMC was asking for a 400%+  increase in fee's from rogers.  I completely understand how/why they would consider not renewing.

This may run into much a similar case.
AMC waning alot of $$ for the channel.
And its not cost effective for them to keep it bundled anymore at that.

RogersLaura

Hi @Stinkylouise,

Thanks for joining us here in the Rogers Community Forums! We appreciate your first post!

It is indeed true that the AMC channel will no longer be available as of 11:59 p.m. ET, December 31, 2019. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

We understand that this change can be frustrating. Here’s how your package will change. If you subscribe to AMC channel as…

• A Standalone Channel or part of a theme pack (Digital or Ignite TV): If you pay a separate monthly service fee for this channel, you will no longer be charged as of December 31, 2019. If this channel is part of a theme pack, it will be removed. The price of your theme pack will not change.
  • FLEX Channels (Ignite TV only): To ensure your package won’t be disrupted, if you subscribe to AMC as a Flex Channel option within your Popular or Premier TV package, or the Flex 5 and 10 Package, we will replace it with another channel from the pool of Flex Channels available. You can also exchange it yourself once every 30 days online using your MyRogers account at: rogers.com/myrogers.

Thank you,

RogersLaura

Update: We are working hard to reach a fair agreement and are hopeful for a positive outcome to continue offering the channel to our customers. Please see @RogersMaude's post for more information. 

toolcubed
I'm a Senior Contributor

Hmmmm, I wonder if Bell customers will be impacted by this too? If not, then nothing good will come of this for Rogers as AMC is still a fairly popular channel for many people. Having said that, I really do think Rogers (and other traditional TV providers) have a much bigger problem on their hands. With an OTA antenna for FREE local HD channels, Netflix, Prime, AppleTV, Disney+ (and soon Hulu when it launches in Canada) to stream everything else, who needs cable TV? I’m going to predict that cord cutting is going to spike. We’re already seeing it and I’ve already read several reports of Rogers’ Ignite TV product under-selling and under-performing. Companies like Rogers need to shift strategies completely. What that is, I have no idea, but their TV service (IPTV or not) will not survive very much longer in its current form.

jjjjy7
I Plan to Stick Around

So there is no option to get AMC?  No more Walking Dead???

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@toolcubed 

Those may not be impacted, yet.  As their license for AMC is completely different and separate than rogers.. if its not up yet.. may not be the same issues... or they may choose to pay MORE for it, if thats what the issue is, etc.  

@jjjjy7 
This only effects people who are still on the legacy VIP packages.   They can still get it, it just wont be bundled and they would have to pay for it separately.
As far as I am aware, it wouldnt effect people who are on OTHER digital TV packages.
And doesnt effect Ignite customers.

jjjjy7
I Plan to Stick Around

@GdkittyAMC is a flex channel with Ignite TV, so if I am interpreting @RogersLaura comments, we will lose it all together.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think we need further clarification from Rogers on this matter. Does it only affect some people (Digital VIP for example) or does it affect everyone.  

I reviewed my last 3 bills and there's no announcement regarding AMC.  I'm on Rogers Premier.  The loss of AMC for "everyone" would be a "big deal".

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

I don't see that announcement on my last few bills. Would it be on on the November bill? The latest I can see is Oct 15, 2019.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Stinkylouise
I've Been Here Awhile

Yes>

It's on the November bill.