Rogers Anyplace TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers Anyplace TV

RogersCorey wrote:

Hello @BS.

I would just like to correct you for a moment here. We do internal testing of products before releasing to the public. We do not skip the beta phase.

Clarification/correction - please look up the definition of "beta testing":  Most companies do internal testing. This is not beta testing. "Beta testing" concerns a product that has undergone internal testing, but is "released" to a volunteer public who can sign on for beta testing, while leaving the existing software/firmware/website intact for the remaining customers/public who do not wish to be bothered with glitches, deficiencies, etc.

Rogers do not do this.  The total public (all your customers) are forced into becoming beta testers as your products are released, not to a volunteer or willing public, but rather software/firmware/websites that have huge issues/deficiencies are forced upon us.  We are then forced to provide you with feedback so that, eventually, your "product" works properly (sometimes months or years later).

I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks for correcting me Corey, but as a person who has worked in programming and currently in a large scale beta as a beta tester, there seems to be very significant issues that get missed and that has given the impression that beta testing is very limited, so I will accept that beta testing is done as you have said, but there are many beyond myself who are of the opinion that this stage is very limited in its scope.

Just an expert opinion, but to be honest, we are told so little as customers in advance, we are left to develop our own opinions.

I as with others will keep identifying significant issues and minor issues as they arise, sometimes question the scope of testing and how it could slip through (which I will acknowledge often does happen - but I come from a health care environment, where beta testing was extensive, because are issues if missed could mean life and death.

In my experience there were always things that got missed, and our standards were high because they had to be, and I only suggest that this is part of the end to end customer experience and an area that we have spoken to and many have, so it is an area for the organization to consider as a target area to identify how best to move forward to an improved customer experience.

So we will continue to put forward what we find, I will continue to express my opinion as I view it, and I appreciate the clarification, but still suggest that it is an area for improvement for the organization.

Just the opinion of a very experienced and trained program implementer and designer who admittedly has very high standards, and as I said on the phone last night, when the person said, "I wish people would just consume services and not be so concerned about little things", I said, that is all I want to see too.

Thanks for your feedback.

Bruce

I'm Here A Lot

Rogers Anyplace TV Android APP not working after update

I have a Google Nexus 9 tablet with Android version 7.1.1 Security Update date October 5, 2017. After the Anyplace TV app upgrade on September 28th 2017, the video streams no longer work. I get a message that says "Find out if your devices are compatible. Search Devices in the Help Center. (Ref# 1005)".

The support page didn't specify specific devices only that you need a smartphone/tablet running Android. The old version of the app prior to the latest update worked fine on my device. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app as well as clearing app cache and app data and nothing worked. 

Anyone have any other suggestions? 

I'm Here A Lot

Mygica android box not able to play anyplace tv

When trying to view a show an error comes saying to go and review supported devices.
Its an android box. Why wont it play shows

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Woodman29:

From the following FAQ:

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/anyplace-tv-overview

You’ll need:

• A Rogers Digital TV package subscription.
  • A Rogers SD, HD, or 4K digital box that you rent or own (digital adapters are not supported).
  • An active internet or wireless data connection.
  • A computer with an up-to-date browser to access Anyplace TV online, or a smartphone/tablet running iOS or Android to use the Anyplace TV app.
    • Supported browsers: Chrome
  • A MyRogers profile, with your Rogers Digital TV account linked to it.

An Android Box is not mentioned.

@mhardy:  Do you have all the other elements required for Anyplace - see above quote? For example, if you don't have a Rogers Digital Box, Anyplace will no longer work.  Also, sometimes there are incompatibilities between various operating systems and Rogers' App.  For example, there were some issues with Apple iOS 11 (but they may be fixed with the latest app because I haven't heard  much on this forum since the original problems.)

I'm Here A Lot

Yes. Anyplace works fine on my mobile phone. Just not an mygica329x android box purchased at walmart. It also has chrome. I get the guide up but when i pick a live show to watch ie. Ctv it then comes with an error ..find out if your device is compatible. Search devices in the help center ref 1005.
I dont understand if running android why isnt it compatible?
I'm Here A Lot

I have a digital box, a cable subscription and a linked digital account. As I said the old app worked fine. It wasn't until the app update that I started getting the error. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

An android box is not technically a true android OS like we see on phones and tablets, it is and Android TV Play device, although you can load standard Play programs on them, but not all will work.

Could people list devices they can get it to work on.

At the moment, I am using an old computer with HDMI capability and HD TV and I use a mouse/keyboard combination on bluetooth - leaving the computer under the tv, I put it to sleep when done, and wake it with the keyboard when ready to use again.

But a smaller android box would be a lot cleaner than my 15 inch laptop, fortunately, don't need the screen open, so not too bulky.  I have done that setup for a while with netflix and other over the top apps on an old desktop, no monitor and in my basement, so I don't really care too much about how clean it all works.

My old Android box is dead and was wondering if I would buy another right now, but if it doesn't run Anyplace TV, I won't bother - this was my solution to when my plan changed and my DTA died - I didn't want to replace that one with a full settop digital box.

So let us know what devices it works on - I vaguely recall you can't chrome cast with the app, so this may be similiar.

Hope there are devices that support it.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Woodman29 wrote:

I dont understand if running android why isnt it compatible?

Because it's not an approved device, per my post 95.  The "software" is different for different devices.   The "rights" received by the various service providers are also negotiated separately with the content providers for various "platforms" (TV set top boxes, streaming, Internet, HD, SD, etc).  The rights for your device may not have been negotiated and therefore you cannot view the programmes on that device per those rights agreements.  You will need to utilize one of the approved devices, say a computer connected to the TV, per @BS' comments.

In addition, while you may be able to see various programmes on the approved devices, you may not (or may) be able to "cast" the programme to a TV, again per the rights agreements.

@mhardy:  Is it possible to delete the latest app and download the older one which worked?  Also, what is the make/model of the Digital Box. For example, if you only have a DTA and not a true STB, then it won't work...

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the reply
Was trying to avoid the laptop solution. Like the idea of simplistic and a remote Smiley Wink
Oh well .. not meant to be i suppose