Rogers Anyplace TV - not available outside of Canada error

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers Anyplace TV - not available outside of Canada error

Hi...My rogers anyplace tv says cannot access outside Canada. I am in Toronto and using Samsung S7 phone and Samsung Tab A 32gb that always worked previously. How can this be corrected?
Thanks amd appreciate as I see others saying the same thing.

*Added Labels*

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Rogers Anyplace TV - not available outside of Canada error

Hello, @Bob1936.

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 🙂

Thank you for joining this conversation. That error happening on both devices is puzzling. Would you please confirm the devices are running the latest app version, 13.2.027.10?

Can you please confirm that you are not running a VPN service at the router level? Just want to rule out the possibility of your IP address not being outside of Canada. 

Let's try the following on your S7 device:

• Close the Anyplace TV app if it's running in the background
  • Navigate to Apps/Anyplace TV/Permissions - make sure Anyplace TV has location and telephone permissions
  • Navigate to Apps/Anyplace TV/Storage - clear cache and clear data
  • Launch the app, enter the credentials and try streaming any video

Keep us posted. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

I followed your posted instructions...cleared the cache and data in the android settings/apps section for rogers anyplace tv and all is working again since last weekend. Thanks for your assistance. Works on the macbook pro too

Cheers

Hello, @Bob1936.

I appreciate trying the suggested fix and updating the Community. I'm happy that Anyplace TV is working on all of your devices. 

Thanks for your contribution and for your help in keeping the community a pleasant place to be.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I've Been Here Awhile

You need to allow your customers to view their cable programs in the USA - I am a Snowbird and not having access means I will basically just cancel my cable services for 5 months every year. No use paying for something you can’t access - I feel the term Anyplace TV is purposely misleading as it is only for those already in Canada - not Anyplace ! My solution to other frustrated Snowbirds is to cancel your cable subscription next fall - and sign up to a local American service while there - ( you can access CBC on-line for news)
I've Been Here Awhile

Cannot access Anyplace TV in USA on IPhone 6s - any solutions?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jix : Anyplace only works in Canada. This is not a Rogers issue. It has to do with the rights holders (broadcasters) who limit viewing to Canada.  A different (US) company purchased the rights for that programming for the US. 

There used to be an Anyplace FAQ that outlined this, however, I 'm currently unable to find it.

I found a different link:

Offers available for a limited time and subject to change without notice. Available for use by Rogers Digital TV subscribers within Canada. MyRogers account and a Nextbox terminal required. Compatible device and OS version required and subject to change (see applicable app store for eligibility). Content available and number of streams vary based on Rogers Digital TV subscription, location, and Internet connection. A Rogers Internet connection that has been consolidated with your Rogers Digital TV account is required for access to your eligible In-home Content. Data usage will apply towards your plan being used to access the service. Digital devices, software and internet connection requirements available here.

Click See Full Details in the following link near the bottom of the page.

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/anyplacetv

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

57 is correct.
This comes down to rights, of who owns the rights to air those things in that country.

Yes, with things like Netflix, you can access it in multiple countries.  BUT, you are not accessing the same content.  It can vary from country to country.  Look at Netflix in the US.  There is pretty much NO Disney stuff on it anymore, moved over to its own service in the US.  But Netflix canada still owns the rights to all the Disney stuff in Canada, so still able to watch there.

So thats the same things here.  Rogers owns the rights to air the stuff, in Canada.
Yes your able to PVR it and watch, etc.. but thats again all about watching it in Canada.
Rogers (or any other provider) could get in trouble for allowing things to be watched, where they are not allowed to be.

One option could be using a VPN.  You can get some which are pretty inexpensive.  (like 30-40 a year)
You can install it on your own device.  When you turn it on, you can choose the end location.  So you would choose a canada location.  It creates a tunnel between you and that endpoint.  So when you try to connect to that site, it appears your coming from canada.

If your not using the products at all, you may not need to cancel and re sign up.  Doing so, could loose some benefits like any sort of 'long term' discounts you could possibly try and get them to give.
They often have a 'seasonal' service.  In which you can pay a minimum amount (I think its like $10-15?) instead of the regular service price.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

So thats the same things here.  Rogers owns the rights to air the stuff, in Canada.
Yes your able to PVR it and watch, etc.. but thats again all about watching it in Canada.
Rogers (or any other provider) could get in trouble for allowing things to be watched, where they are not allowed to be.

Technically it isn't necessarily Rogers who owns the rights, it is the TV channel that is on the Rogers channel lineup (although some of those channels are owned by Rogers).  For example, CTV/TSN has the rights to the Masters Golf tournament in Canada but CBS has the rights in the US.

I've Been Around

I'm in Ontario have no VPN and have done everything suggested but I still can't use the app on my tablet. It was purchased in Canada and everything about it is Canadian but I keep have the must be in Canada to watch message pop up. Very frustrating. I have a Amazon fire tablet 10. My google 2 works perfectly fine. HELP!