Rogers 4K HD PVR Nextbox CAV10455HD Hard Drive Replacement

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Rogers 4K HD PVR Nextbox CAV10455HD Hard Drive Replacement

I have a couple of 4K PVRs that are showing signs of Hard Drive errors. Does anyone know or have instructions for opening the box to replace the hard drive such? These will save me from junking the devices. Thanks in advance.

*Added Labels*

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Rogers 4K HD PVR Nextbox CAV10455HD Hard Drive Replacement

They are close but not quite. 

I managed with my experience  opening 9865, to open the CAV10455HD without damaging the box. You do need extra tools (I used Plastic Auto body tools to dislodge the panels) and gentle force to remove the shell in other to reach the drive.  So thanks  to everyone that shared their expertise.

View solution in original post

All Replies
I'm Here A Lot

Does Rogers 4K HD PVR Nextbox CAV10455HD support more than 1TB Hard Drive?

Looking to replace hard drives in my 4K PVRs and have a few of drives lying around. Just wondering if Rogers 4K HD PVR CAV10455HD supports higher capacity drives than the 1TB that came with the device. Thanks for all your responses.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1. I believe that the Navigatr firmware limits you to 2TB, although I'm not sure we have any feedback from anyone with a 4K PVR since they're newer than say the 9865.  Of course, the PVR is a timeshifting device and not an archiving device, so having a very large iHDD may simply mean more loss when it fails...

2. Here's a thread over on Digital Home regarding iHDD replacement on the 9865:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/upgrade-or-replace-the-ihdd-on-9865-nextbox-3-0.211002/

3. If you put in a larger drive, it'll probably be "formatted" to 2TB, but I can't be sure of that since there's been so little discussion on that topic recently.

4. The best drive to use is one that is specifically made for PVR/surveillance use - like a WD Purple.

5.  Most people are migrating to IgniteTV and legacy digital cable will be "gone" in a few years probably.   There are lots of threads on that topic in this Rogers Forum.  IgniteTV allows for up to 200 hours of any format, saved for up to one year.

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/recording-with-ignite-tv

6. The legacy PVR will be essentially useless once you switch to IgniteTV.  You will likely not be able to watch any programming on it after the switch since it will be "deactivated" and requires digital cable service to boot.  A workaround is to unplug the coax before deactivation and connecting it to a UPS, but that only works for so long too.

7. People who have migrated to IgniteTV are selling their PVRs on places like Kijiji, but they're not getting much for them - $40-50 for the 9865, not sure about the 4K...  You may be able to get a few $ as "trade-in" from Rogers...

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks 57 for your response. Lots of  useful info. Really appreciate them.

Unfortunately, I have invested a lot on hardware that Cloud PVR doesn't enthuse too much.  Current plan is to maximize utilization of existing hardware and if and when I choose to change, my options would be open to all service providers including generic IPTV.

Still searching for info on how to safely open the 4K PVR.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I thought that the design of the 9865 was close enough to the 4K PVR that the following posts from the thread I previously mentioned may be applicable:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/upgrade-or-replace-the-ihdd-on-9865-nextbox-3-0.211002/#post-2704...

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/upgrade-or-replace-the-ihdd-on-9865-nextbox-3-0.211002/page-2#pos...

I'm Here A Lot

They are close but not quite. 

I managed with my experience  opening 9865, to open the CAV10455HD without damaging the box. You do need extra tools (I used Plastic Auto body tools to dislodge the panels) and gentle force to remove the shell in other to reach the drive.  So thanks  to everyone that shared their expertise.

View solution in original post

I've Been Around

It appears the hard drive on my 4K pvr died. Pause, rewind features don’t work when watching live tv. Will no longer record. I deleted all the recordings that were saved on the pvr thinking there may be a “bad” recording but that didn’t help. The box works fine besides that. I own the box and it’s out of warranty. Is it worth fixing? Anywhere in the Ottawa area that fixes pvr’s? Can the hard drive be replaced?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Pagman1 : Have a look at the following recent thread with a similar discussion.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Rogers-4K-HD-PVR-Nextbox-CAV10455HD-Hard-Drive-Replacement/...

Not very many repair places around and I doubt it would be worthwhile. You can replace the iHDD yourself if you're handy and follow the instructions in the links I provided in the above thread.  Or you can switch to Ignite, but read the recent Ignite posts first.