Replacing drive in 9865HD PVR: Pending

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DE_
I Plan to Stick Around

Replacing drive in 9865HD PVR: Pending

My Cisco 9865HD pvr started freezing a lot during replay so based on other posts re freezing I decided to replace the original HD. When I swapped it out to another drive, after a reboot, the white cisco screen came up stating the software needed to be updated. The upgrade will proceed once the network is available. Status = Pending.  I cannot get it out of that state. Rogers phone tech support has no idea. I decided to reinstall the original hard drive expecting the unit to go back to normal but instead it now has the Pending status.  I am not sure what network its looking for but the Rogers cable is working fine with 2 other PVRs and a cable modem working on it. 

Anyone know what's going on and what the solution is ? 

***Edited Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Replacing drive in 9865HD PVR: Pending

What is the make/model/designation of the new drive?  Here's a thread from Digital Home on the topic of swapping out the drive...

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/upgrade-or-replace-the-ihdd-on-9865-nextbox-3-0.211002/

Did you try moving one of your working PVRs to the location of this PVR or vice versa? Did you check the signal strength?  

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/57-faq-tips-for-sa-cisco-stbs-also-pace.17719/

DE_
I Plan to Stick Around

Tried to use a seagate 2tb drive removed from a file server (some sort of Linux format) as a short term solution. Other posts say they had no problem with 2tb drive.
The PVR is currently next to a working identical unit sharing the cable via a splitter and short cables. The working one has a single strength -3.5 40dbv s/nr.
The problem on has been displaying "Pend" for the last 24 hrs.
Going to try no hard drive and try another hard drive to see if there is any difference.
Given Rogers has been offfering these uinits since 2012 or before.
Any chance Rogers has some deep tech support on these boxes hidden away behind telephone support ?
DE_
I Plan to Stick Around

Signal strength on problem unit has just be discovered to appear to be low -14db, 24db s/n. Going to try connecting directly to cable coming into house bypassing splitters and filter.... Not sure why its low other than the frequency it is trying to download on or it has a hardware problem.
DE_
I Plan to Stick Around

Directly connected it to cable from rogers and signal strength rose to ~0db but signal/noise stayed at 24. Box now displayed "conn" versus before when it displayed conn briefly and then Pend (pending network availability). Tried another drive, no different. With no expert insight from Rogers available, it sure looks like this box is crap. The box worked 100% fine until playback freezes rate increased unacceptably. My best guess is this is a rogers network issue (for software update).