Remaining SD Channels

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Remaining SD Channels

I'm guessing it's all about money, not bandwidth. The Rogers bean counters don't want to pay more for HD feeds if they don't believe a huge number of customers will watch them.  Rogers customers are not all that sophisticated. I'm particularly annoyed with BBC Canada (Ch 87) being SD and Jay Leno's Garage (CNBC Cg 79), now on hiatus, being SD.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Around

I record many shows. In order not to fill up the disk too fast I record most shows in SD.  Are there SD channels for the TVO and PBS networks?  I have not found any.  Thanks

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gaily wrote:

I record many shows. In order not to fill up the disk too fast I record most shows in SD.  Are there SD channels for the TVO and PBS networks?  I have not found any.  Thanks

You pretty much have to go through the Guide and see what's SD.  What PVR do you have? At one time the lower channels were SD and HD started with 500. On my SA8300HD the lower channels automatically substitute the HD feed if available. I see TVO Ch 2 and Ch 580 are both HD. For me, Ch 21 PBS Erie (WQLN) is SD but Ch 525 PBS Buffalo (WNED) is HD.  However, they have different schedules and programming.

I just have a 160 Gb hard drive, record and watch several shows a day and manage to keep it 30% - 50% full by deleting shows after watching them.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gaily wrote:

There are PBS SD channels around channels 161-164 for me.  You may need to subscribe to timeshifting or a different package.  I don't recall seeing TVO-SD.

I have a friend who does the same as you, but I never understand it if you have an HDTV, you should be getting the most out of it, even if it means spending a bit more for a 9865 instead of an 8642HD or 8300HD, or an additional PVR purchased used for example.