Remaining SD Channels

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Remaining SD Channels

@eurotik I agree with you. I thought one of the benefits of the transition to digital was the bandwidth available for more HD.  Perhaps it costs Rogers more  to get channels in HD, so it's a cost saving.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Pauly while all TVs sold now are HD capable, not all customers have HD boxes. Those customers would not be able to see HD-only channels even if included in their packages.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Pauly wrote:

I too would like to see the remaining Standard Definition channels and Multicultural channels eventually change over to High Definition. I know its not going to happen overnight, but I do have a suggestion for Rogers Cablesystems:  I understand that you need separate carriage agreements to carry the SD and HD equivalent channel. For new channels announced, you should not bother with the SD feed and only carry the HD feed. If your customers really want that channel they will need an HD box and if they do not have one they will need to upgrade.  The more your customers get off the SD boxes the more SD bandwidth you can free up for other important channels.  Were living in 2016, why are we still catering to people with legacy equiptment?  I understand some people still have older SD TV's, myself included, but you can still watch your HD channel on your older TV if you have an HD box. Just my 0.05 cents

HD boxes are very costly to rent or buy.  As it is there is a significant portion of the population who can not afford  or can  barely afford the cable costs using SD boxes.  If the choice for low income people was HD or nothing there would probably be a lot of people who would have to settle for nothing. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@Pauly while all TVs sold now are HD capable, not all customers have HD boxes. Those customers would not be able to see HD-only channels even if included in their packages.

@hi @ OLDYELLER I am aware that customers who dont have HD boxes will not be able to see hd only channels even if its in their package.  Im proposing if they want the channel they should consider upgrading their box.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

jays77 wrote:

HD boxes are very costly to rent or buy.  As it is there is a significant portion of the population who can not afford  or can  barely afford the cable costs using SD boxes.  If the choice for low income people was HD or nothing there would probably be a lot of people who would have to settle for nothing. 

Hi @ jays77, that may be true for Rogers customers that HD Boxes are expensive to buy or rent, but there are pleanty of other providers out there that have eliminated their SD boxes completely, or never carried an Sd only box. I know this because I have TV service at one of my family members homes with another TV provider that is NOT rogers (outside of rogers service territory), and they only offer HD only boxes even for their customers with older SD Tv sets it will still work,  the monthly rental price is also very affordable too and so is the outright purchase price compared to rogers.  199 vs 499.  I am able to watch HD only channels like Smithsonian channel, rad x, hollywood suite, etc and the set top box will downconvert them to sd for older tvs

I'm a Regular

Thanks 57. So it's the "Auto HD" I'm referring to which automatically shows the HD version of a lower channel if available. It seems to work for all channels except W Network and Much Music (channels 27 and 30 respectively in my area). If I go to the 500s, I can watch their HD versions but their lower equivalents do not "auto HD".
I've Been Here Awhile

Why is BBC Canada only in SD. Some of their programmes are shown on PBS in HD? For the money we spend on Rogers, we expect HD when we know the programme is available in HD.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

We as consumers don't know what the hold up is. When Rogers Signed a carriage agreement with BBC Canada, A Division of Corus Entertainment, they only signed it for the Standard Definition feed at the time because High Definition did not exist at that time or was relatively new and BBC Canada did not offer HD feed, just SD. So Rogers aquired the SD feed. Rogers would have to re-negociate another carriage agreement for the HD feed, but BBC canada has to offer it first, so for that you have to check if they were approved a licence via the CRTC, and you also have to check if they are broadcasting in HD, a lot of stations have the HD licence, but do nto have the facilities to broadcast in HD yet because its costly to upgrade their master control and studio to handle HD and to change their library to stock programs in HD instead of SD. So just because they become HD, they may still keep broadcasting shows in SD untill they aquire or create HD content, so this one is likely not fully Rogers fault that they don;t carry it in HD yet, theres lots of factors involed so do your homework and see what happens

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

ok I just checked and BBC Canada is broadcasting in HD to Telus Optic only, so its just a matter of Rogers signing a new carriage agreement with them and paying them for the HD feed, and finding bandwith in their cable system to carry it and broadcast it to their cable customers and finding a revenue tool to pay for this carriage agrement, ie price hike, or drop another channel which is not watched as much

I Plan to Stick Around

This is totally unacceptable in 2017, it really is unbelievable that I can't watch certain channels in HD. I thought Rogers was a premium provider not a second class carrier