Remaining SD Channels

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Remaining SD Channels

When will Rogers upgrade the remaining 50+ SD channels to HD? How can Rogers justify promoting 4K so a few subscribers can watch the Leafs and Blue Jays lose in UHD resolution when there are still so many channels available only in SD, such as Fox News Channel, CNBC, MSNBC, and Vision?

***Edited Labels***

Re: Remaining SD Channels

Hi @TinyTim,

Welcome to the Community!

Presently we do not have an update on when the above channels will be available in HD. However customers will be notified if anything changes on the resolution front!

Thank youSmiley Happy

RogersZia

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Another thing to mention in addition to what @ RogersZia stated, is the fact that as of today there is still a ton of networks including Vision TV which still ONLY BROADCAST in Standard Definition 4x3 aspect Ratio and there is NOTHING that Rogers Cable or other competing cable companies can do about it other than wait for them to not only upgrade their facility and programming library to HD, but they also need approval of an HD licence from the CRTC as well Rogers Cable needs to also negotiate a new carriage agreement with the HD Feed, because their existing carriage agreement for theyre SD Channel will not automatically include the HD feed.

I Plan to Stick Around

I understand that a channel like Vision only originates in 4:3 SD, mainly because they show 25 to 45 year old SD content anyway. But why doesn't Rogers display the HD version of Fox News Channel, CNBC and MSNBC (which I know exist because I've seen them in the U.S.) when it does display the HD version of, say, CNN.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Either one of two things..

1 (which does seem really silly).. is that the CRTC has to approve any channels available to be broadcast in canada on any provider.  And SD and HD versions have to be approved seperately... so its POSSIBLE that they havent been approved for some silly reason.

2  Licensing.  When rogers or any other carrier wants to carry a channel, they need to pay licensing fees to the provider for it.
They need to pay seperate fees for SD and HD versions of the channels.

They may not want to pay the fees for the HD versions... the channel provider may be setting the price TOO HIGH to make it worth them getting them, etc.

I'm a Regular

Hi, I was just wondering why there are still some lower channels in SD and you have to go to the higher channels to watch them in HD. For example, W on channel 27 is SD and to watch its HD version, I have to go to the 500s. Same with Much on channel 30...its SD and have to go to 500s to watch it in HD. All the other lower channels are in HD despite their duplicates in the 500s also being HD. Are the few remaining lower channels going to be switched to HD?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This may be related to the head end that you're on. For example, in Toronto, MuchMusic (29), AMC (32), W Network (62) all "Auto-HD" from what I recall (I'm not home right now to check).  The fact that different areas have different grandfathered channels (and channel numbers) may have something to do with this.

See also:  http://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/auto-hd/283?setLanguage=en

I Plan to Stick Around

Why are there so many channels still in Standard Definition Rogers? There have been posts for Fox News that have gone unanswered, clearly the people want answers. Plenty more channels are not offered in HD yet but they are in HD in the US or even on Bell.

What is the process and why is it taking so long to convert all these channels to HD?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I too would like to see the remaining Standard Definition channels and Multicultural channels eventually change over to High Definition. I know its not going to happen overnight, but I do have a suggestion for Rogers Cablesystems:  I understand that you need separate carriage agreements to carry the SD and HD equivalent channel. For new channels announced, you should not bother with the SD feed and only carry the HD feed. If your customers really want that channel they will need an HD box and if they do not have one they will need to upgrade.  The more your customers get off the SD boxes the more SD bandwidth you can free up for other important channels.  Were living in 2016, why are we still catering to people with legacy equiptment?  I understand some people still have older SD TV's, myself included, but you can still watch your HD channel on your older TV if you have an HD box. Just my 0.05 cents!

I'm a Senior Advisor

@toolcubed wrote:

Hi, I was just wondering why there are still some lower channels in SD and you have to go to the higher channels to watch them in HD. For example, W on channel 27 is SD and to watch its HD version, I have to go to the 500s. Same with Much on channel 30...its SD and have to go to 500s to watch it in HD. All the other lower channels are in HD despite their duplicates in the 500s also being HD. Are the few remaining lower channels going to be switched to HD?

You must have Navigatr or RTN. That's a "feature" implemented when "upgrading" from SARA. I have an SA8300HD PVR that runs SARA and all my lower channels give me HD if available. I can also find them in the 500 group, but haven't memorized them.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario