Regional Blackouts in Effect...

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Regional Blackouts in Effect...

Why is it that the Ottawa Senators game is blacked out even though I live in a region that it should not be blacked out in? I can only get it on the SD version of Sportsnet.. The HD 399 version has the black out notice. The guide also says it's on 398 but that is showing baseball playoffs... I can only get the game on channels 403 & 402 SD.... 

Why must rogers rob me of my HD goodness when the guide says it should be there?!?!?!?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Regional Blackouts in Effect...

Well they flipped the feed over eventually. Not sure when as I was busy watching the SD feed..

Rogers you've really dropped the ball on this. It shouldn't be that hard.. It's obviously an error on you part considering the guide said one thing and what was on was another.. Plus the fact it was later switched makes it clear..

Please in the future be more careful. I pay a lot for my tv package so that I can watch hockey in HD.. If I have to take my money elsewhere I will.
I'm a Senior Contributor

I was out of town (in a non-rogers area, but also outside of the black out area) at a bar waiting to watch the sens game when I got the same black out message. I cannot say if it ever flipped over considering the bar changed it to football, but nevertheless, odd for sure.

Looks like an error on sportsnet end for blacking out the wrong people. From the sounds of your post they caught it though, thankfully.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I've been told it actually flipped over 30 seconds after the game started. Unfortunately that isn't very good service.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Hmm just found channel 500 SportsNet SENS.. This looks promising!!
I've Been Around

Local Blackouts - Why? I have been a center ice customer long before Rogers took it over. There has never been blackouts before this year. This is why I became a customer. A blackout for a person who does not have cable TV is counter productive. I am also a customer of MLB and NFL...guess what...NO BLACKOUTS! This is a step in the wrong direction for the NHL. Not sure who is responsible for this Rogers or the NHL but you fool nobody and loose customers. Shame on you.

P.S. your evil plan to get us customers to use our data to watch local games ( ya...folks, stream the blacked out games on your phone using wifi) is backfiring cause I am watching the blacked out games using airplay to my apple TV. 

Sincerely,

Mystified Paying Customer

Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

Not sure what "evil plan" you're referencing there, but the blackouts are enforced by the NHL and not by Rogers. If the team you're trying to watch is local to the area you live, then the regional broadcast rights belong to the cable provider in that region. Rogers only has the rights to air games that would be broadcasted nationally across the country.

To my understanding, and I could be wrong on this, but there have always been blackouts of some sort with NHL programming. Not sure if there is any difference between the way it used to be and now, but I'm certain there was some sort of blackout policy in place.

Also, no blackouts exists for MLB or the NFL. Never has been any.

And if you choose to air the blacked out games over your phone, that's on you, not on the company. No one forces you to watch one way or the other.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@lockdown2341 wrote:

Not sure what "evil plan" you're referencing there, but the blackouts are enforced by the NHL and not by Rogers. If the team you're trying to watch is local to the area you live, then the regional broadcast rights belong to the cable provider in that region. Rogers only has the rights to air games that would be broadcasted nationally across the country.

To my understanding, and I could be wrong on this, but there have always been blackouts of some sort with NHL programming. Not sure if there is any difference between the way it used to be and now, but I'm certain there was somea sort of blackout policy in place.

Also, no blackouts exists for MLB or the NFL. Never has been any.

And if you choose to air the blacked out games over your phone, that's on you, not on the company. No one forces you to watch one way or the other.

1.  Technically, its networks that have broadcast rights, not 'cable providers'.   For example, TSN owns regional rights to the Sens and Jets.  Rogers (broadcast arm) has regional rights to the Habs, Flames, Oilers and 'Nucks.  Both networks share Leafs rights (or they did at one point).  

2.  Regional rights have not ALWAYS existed ( no need for them in the Original 6 years 😃)  but have since the proliferation of regional sports networks.  And yes, it has nothing to do with Rogers....nroadcast restrictions are strictly an NHL policy.  Rogers negotiated National windows in its deal (keeping the old Wednesday and Saturday windows, and picking up a Sunday window)

3.  The NFL DOES have a blackout policy of sorts.  If a game doesn't sell a certain percentage of seats, it can't be broadcast in the local market.  As well, the rules governing what game can be shown on what channel in what area of the country are 100x more stringent and confusing than anything the NHL has.

I'm Here A Lot

Blackouts for Canucks games in B.C.?

I live in Victoria B.C.  and do not  use cable TV,  have Telus internet.

This is 3rd year i have used GAMECENTER,  last year i watched all the games but this year there seems to be blackout restriction when i try to watch the Vancouver games,  so my only solution is to watch it with laptop and Hola plugin for chrome browser to create an American IP address.  I like to watch it on xbox on the big TV, but now i have to use the hdmi with my laptop and run NHL.com with an american IP to watch the Canucks.  

Must i have a cable TV subscription to watch my home team?  i am paying $200 just to watch 1 team..   to heck with the blackout restrictions i say!

I'm Here A Lot

Dont use cable TV, have Telus internet

Regional game is restricted, ok i live in B.C.  and i cant watch Canucks on GAMECENTER ?

Why cant i just use the other teams broadcast?

I pay $200 to watch 1 team, with the perks of using it with multi devices..   do i need to get a TV subscription to watch these regional games?  Or just hope for future games that are broadcast NATIONALY

Again..  why can i not just watch the broadcast from the other team using GAMECENTER ??