Recordings dissapeared Nextbox 3.0

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Recordings dissapeared Nextbox 3.0

Cisco 9865HD Next Box Just lost all my recording, did reboot but no success.  Suggestions?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@emerson7:

1. Are you able to record new programming?

2. Does the new recording show up in your "list".

3. How old is the 9865?

4. Do you own it or rent

5.  Is the hard drive making clicking noises?  Usually it only makes a soft thudding sound.

6. Did you notice anything weird/different before this happened?

7. When you rebooted did it reboot normally in about 5-6 minutes. 

8. Is it part of WHPVR?  Whole Home PVR?

9. Try another reboot and if it's part of WHPVR, reboot all the other boxes.

Any other information you can provide?

I Plan to Stick Around

1. It says it is recording but there is no red light and when I look it is not there.
  2. Recording not in the list.
  3. Think it is just over 2 yrs or see next question.
  4. Was rented which just ended.
  5. Just a normal hum.
  6. Before it happened it would not play recorded programs, said there was not space and to try later, the PVR was only half full.
  7. Rebooting seemed to take longer.
  8. Not sure it is a single PVR , have another (older) one elsewhere.
  9. Rebooted both PVR's but no change.  There are about 20 recorded shows which will play but the PVR is showing 0.00% full.  Also when I push record or program it to record it will not record.
  10. Any other things I should try!!!!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sounds like you have either a firmware issue, or your Hard Drive is failing/failed.

2. So there are items in the list but they won't play?

4. I assume you were on "rent-to-own" and the 9865 is now yours (owned).  If that's the case you won't likely be able to swap it for another.  I believe Rent-to-own was 3 years?

8. I assume the older (8300HD or 8642?) PVR is working OK?

10.  If you don't mind losing your recordings, you could try a factory reset - under Settings - Troubleshooting. This will reset your 9865 to the factory settings and you'll have to redo any favourites, other settings, etc.  You'll also lose all your recordings.  You could then try recording again...

11. I assume you're not using an external Hard Drive.

12. I assume you can still watch programming, just not record?

13. A hard drive can typically fail in 3-5 years, so it's not totally unexpected, although it's a bit early.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks

1. There are a small number of items on the list and the WILL PLAY but most are missing.
  2. Yes was rent to own and time up!!!
  3. Yes much older 8642 working fine.
  4. Will think about a reset
  5. No external Hard Drive
  6. Yes can watch but not record.
  7. Agree too early to fail........not sure I would rent but would not buy either!  Streaming is a short term option I guess.  I have been relatively happy with Rogers but Bell has been pushing their new equipment hard in our area so there PVR's might be better.   Any other thoughts????
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Long shot. You could try swapping the locations of the 9865 and 8642.  Perhaps the 9865 will come out of its funk at the other location in your home.  The 9865 typically requires a better signal strength than the 8642, however that should not have messed with your recordings.  Also, poor signal usually manifests in other ways - black channels, not rebooting properly, etc.

Have Rogers check your signal strength, or do it yourself. See the following link:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

It's strange that you can play some recordings, but that might be the beginnings of a failing hard drive.

I'm a Senior Advisor

First, a comment on Bell boxes:

There is little reporting of problems with PVR's on the Bell boxes, whether Sattelite, or Fibe.

There are some neat functionality too - for those who wish you could schedule your updates at other times than 2:00 am.  Bell box allows you to choose your times, and you can change them as each day goes by.

They also have true standby, where you can choose the length of time that the box has to be unused before it goes there.  Rogers tried that on their box, but number one it was a fixed period of time, and boxes were failing due to it, so it got removed.  So Bell has a true "green box" as defined in industry standards.

You don't have to have Internet with them anymore to get Fibe - they will certainly try to sell that way and provide bundle discounts, but you can cancel Internet and keep Fibe, but lose the discount.

But you can always wait for Comcast too reported to be coming in first quarter 2018 (financial statements report available online).

But for now:

There is more reporting of failed Nextbox 3.0's happening and for us that bought, we will have to go to rental, but they also would have to find you one - they have been out of production for a number of years, and everything in store will be refurbished.  There are plenty in the GTA area available for sale, but check with Rogers first before buying to confirm that they are not reported stolen.  There are some steps to setting up a box you buy from elsewhere - others can comment on this more if you decide to go down that direction.

Always risks in buying used box, but an option if nothing works out on your own.

Quite a number of them are "purchased box", went to Bell.  

At worst, try a full factory reset - hope it clears up for you.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

I did swap and no luck.  I did reset the factory settings and actually worse off as no detail in the guide now and will not record.

Good opportunity to see if Rogers will do anything and gives me a chance to check the competition as they have been working our neigbourhood hard and want to make deals.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks very helpfully as I just really want to get the TV back and Rogers internet seems to work ok plus all the other services.   I did reset to Factory Settings and that did not help.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@emerson7 wrote:

..no detail in the guide now and will not record.

Hmm, that's strange. It may take a period of time for the IPG to repopulate.  If it doesn't repopulate, then you may have other issues since that should not be related to a failing hard drive.

When you call Rogers have them check your signal and also make sure they have your 9865 properly activated.   Confirm by giving them the serial number from the back of the box.

Can you access channel 100 - on demand, or the SDV (seldom used) channels? Surf through the channels in the 500s to see if any of them give you a pop-up like "unavailable at this time" or something similar.   If you can't access ROD or if you can't tune the SDV channels, then you may have a return signal issue in your home or in your neighbourhood.