Recordings dissapeared Nextbox 3.0

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Recordings dissapeared Nextbox 3.0

So do the recordings still get deleted then if the feed is cut off before the recording time ends?

I just received a reply from @RogersHelps that says that issue has been fixed, but I remain sceptical

Any clarity you add would be helpful.

THanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Now that i think of it.. there was the latest firmware lately.. 

It MIGHT have fixed it.

Unfortunately rogers doesnt really give out a LIST of what was being fixed, etc on each release.. so its a guessing game sometimes.

I generally dont record things, which fall into the catagory of being cut off.. 
So truthfully, i am not sure now.

It MAY have been fixed.

Hopefully someone else who does record those sorts of things can maybe chime in.

I'm Here A Lot

My Next Box PVR was fine up until about a month ago it started recording randomly and deleting my recordings. The new recordings that show up aren't ones I chose to record and they don't even take up any space on the bar that shows percentage full but there will be a hundred of these "ghost" shows showing up. Right now my PVR shows 100 recordings but only 10% space used(the ones I've actually recorded). I tried to reset the box and pvr in the settings but new ones come back and my actual recordings get deleted in a week or so. Anyone experience anything like this and is my Next Box pooched?

I'm a Senior Advisor

@CJT333  

One possibility is: at the end of the spring season, did you delete all of the series recordings after you deleted the shows you had watched.  At the end of the season, there will be ghosts - the remenants of the series recordings left stored in the system, but not showing, and when the new seasons come back on line, if the times or dates are different, you will get the tile with the recordings showing 0 and future recordings showing as 0, unless you happened to have set it up as any time, any date.

So you create a new one on the new scheduled times, but the old ones come back with nothing in them.

You have to first delete all recordings, then on the right, cancel all future recordings.  At that point, the old one is gone from the system.

This would be my guess of what is going on.  When the Navigtr upgrade occurred last year in July, then in December of last year, many of us had these ghost recordings appearing as the previous recordings that didn't show when the season was done, would suddenly reappear and then we had to go through and reset up those where the show times had changed, or dates, then cancel all future recordings on the old one to get rid of it.

It is a confusing one for sure - if someone can explain this one better than I just did, please take a crack.

Some people leave the old recordings in place, hoping that when the season comes back, the times will be the same - say like season ending in Dec, then back in February/March.  This then leads to setting up new recordings where needed and cleaning out the old ones. We personally cancel the future recordings, and then start from scratch at the start of the new season, except for those cases where the season has taken a break due to sports, sweeps weeks, or things like political debates.

Oh yeh, the future recordings will show up in the total recordings, but will not impact percentage because nothing has been recorded yet.

See the pinned details in the TV section of the forum for more details by GDKitty - you may find more ther

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@CJT333:

Go into Settings - Default Recordings and make sure you've got the correct save settings and that you're not set to delete after 7 days, etc.

How many tiles are showing on your recordings list?  Go into the tiles (especially the ones near the bottom of the list) and see how many future recordings there are and make sure you delete any that you don't want to record or don't have any future recordings in them.

You may wish to consider using AnyPlace to see actual existing and future recordings:

http://www.rogers.com/web/support/tv/anyplace-tv/410?setLanguage=en

Here's a direct link to the "how to" thread mentioned by BS above:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks @57  I knew I wasn't giving a clear or complete answer to this one - this is one of the buggy areas of the product that I still stuggle through because we don't have to deal with it frequently, just each change in season.

You are right, there are many various settings that impact how future recordings appear - found in various places.

And yes, I meant to mention to use AnyPlace TV because it usually gives you a clearer picture and easier to manage.

This is the reason we have all asked for a return to the old model of future recordings, and it was promised for this summer past, but not yet here.  Not that the previous PVR didn't have these same issues of ghost recordings now and them and no way to see the remnants of past seasons.

Good luck @CJT333  Let us know what you finally come up with your solution.

Bruce

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the replies. My recordings are set to save until I erase and I deleted all my ghost scheduled recordings last night and new ones are back today. I do delete and cancel all scheduled recordings. Also, these are shows I don't watch or ever record. I've done the factory reset and it's came back. It had gone away the last week my recordings were staying on and nothing I wasn't recording was showing up. Then l watched something on the pvr last night and after it was done they were all back and it was showing recordings from September 1st that weren't there an hour before. Figure that one out. I'm just waiting to see if my actual recordings start getting deleted again.
When these ghost recordings are recording the red light doesn't even come on the box. When I tried to watch one it was only audio and when I went back to live tv it was still black screen and only audio. I unplugged the box and tv, plugged it back in and it went back to normal. A couple days later my tv went black and was only audio again. I figured it was the box but when I unplugged it and plugged it back in the picture on the tv never came back(only audio). Got a new tv and it's fine but the box is still crazy and I can't help but think it messed up my tv(or it's a heck of a coincidence). This has been happening since late July.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@CJT333:

The only explanation I have for this very odd behaviour is that someone else is accessing "AnyPlace" and it's affecting your recordings - causing them to be deleted and new ones coming in their place.  There is perhaps some mixup at Rogers end, or someone is accessing your PVR/account "by mistake".  I have heard of this happening rarely. 

Have you ever used AnyPlace (app or web) to review/schedule recordings?

Sometimes when you delete ghost recordings they may "return" but are usually gone after a reboot (sometimes the next day).

The part about audio only on the TV indicates a poor HDMI connection, or something similar.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are any of these recordings stuff that you have never recorded/wanted to record before?

Only other thing i can think of, is that the box has been put on the whole home.. without the MOCA filter.. and that its accessible in the local area, by someone else in teh same scenario.. and their settings are recording onto your box.

I'm a Senior Advisor

This one is beyond me - I thought I had seen every possible strange thing that a Nextbox with Navigtr could create for us to try to work around.

I would have been suggesting a factory reset next, but you indicate you have already done it.

One last thing to try if you haven't, is the factory reset, then reauthorize it (can be done from myrogers in the television section of your profile, near the bottom of the page you will see - reset box). They can also do that from their end too.

I would contact support, explain what is going on and maybe they have a suggestion. I expect you will get the following trouble shooting provided to you:

1. go to trouble shooting and reboot.

2. unplug and plug back in

3. do a factory reset

4. reset (reauthorize the box)

Since you have already done these, I don't expect that the standard troubleshooting recommendations will help, but expect that they will recommend it to you.

4. possibly they will send a tech over, or just advise you to take the box back and exchange one.

Sounds like something in the default original factory resettings has become corrupted, or the downloads of the upgraded software after the factory reset are coming down and applying themselves in a strange way.

I would expect that you will be asked to swap the box, or maybe a tech will bring one and troubleshoot.

I don't have any other suggestions, except get tech support involved and probably a replacement of the box.  Can't see that what you are describing has anything to do with your TV nor should anything have happened to your TV.

Good luck,

Bruce