Recording issue on NextBox 8642HD

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Recording issue on NextBox 8642HD

Hi,

I have NextBox 8642HD for a long time. It was recording fine until Saturday. The scheduled shows didn't get to record. I also noticed if I press the record button on the remote. It showed the word Scheduling.. But it doesn't record anything. If I go and try to schedule a recording. After clicking confirm, it displays error about duplicate recording. I am also having trouble deleted recorded shows with error delete failed. I can still be able to watch recorded shows from the past. The disk space on the drive is said to be 41% full. So, I don't think it is disk space issue.

What I have tried was I "soft" restart the box many times. I "hard" reset the box by unplugging from power for more than 10 seconds and plug it back in many times. Last night, I even wanted to restore it to default. But I couldn't. I tried go to Troubleshooting -> restore to default and I also tried the pause button for 10 seconds reset method. Both just wouldn't do anything, it just stay there without resetting it to default.

Any suggestions from anyone? Please help?

Thank you in advance.

*Added Labels*

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Recording issue on NextBox 8642HD

Hi,

I think I have temporary fix my issue. To keep the story short, it was the hard drive issue.

Here is the way I figured out. I have an old 2 TB hard drive sitting around. So, I opened up the recorder and put in this 2 TB hard drive. It booted up but it gave me HDER (assume it means hard drive error). I am not able to record any shows. But when I clicked the record button. It gave more than just the scheduling.. message. 

So, I went back to the other hard drive I took out from the recorder. It is WD Green 500 GB. So, I put it in a computer and used the hard drive tool that I downloaded from WD. Ran a quick test, it gave me errors. I used the same tool to erase the hard drive. It did gave me errors at the end said some sectors weren't able to erase. I ignored. Ran the quick test again. It passed. Put it back to the recorder. And I am able to schedule recordings and at this moment, it still can record TV shows that I scheduled.

A different question to everyone please? I don't think I can trust this hard drive and I want to replace it. I already tried the 2 TB that I have, which is not working. And it seems like it is a hit or miss about the hard drive. Just wonder if there is any recommendation from anyone that which hard drive I should try? I saw something about WD Purple 1 TB?

Thank you once again. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If the box boots, check the signal to the box.  See the following post on the topic:  Poor signal levels are the source of many problems, although usually not the one you're describing.  You can also call Rogers and have them check the signal remotely - they may be able to confirm if they can see the box and if it should be functioning properly.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M42...

If the signal is good and if you have rebooted, then it could be a problem with the box since it's quite old.  If you don't mind losing your recordings, you could have Rogers initiate a Factory Reset to see if that fixes things.  (I understand that you've tried to do that from the menu, but perhaps a poor signal is causing that to fail)

You may have a hard drive failure.  Do you hear any odd noises from the drive (either now or before the failure), like a clicking instead of a soft whooshing.  You can replace the internal drive per the following link, but it may not be worth it on this old box.  I'd exchange it (or upgrade) to a 9865 (many on sale with people moving to Ignite).  I'm assuming you own the box. If it's a rental,  then have Rogers exchange it for a 9865, or switch to IgniteTV (but read the various threads here on IgniteTV first)

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/122489-internal-hdd-replacemen...

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you for the suggestions.

I checked the signal. This is what I found.

Level: 2 dBMV

S/N: 36 dB

Can I assume that signal is not the issue here?

I do have a click noise every time I turn on/off the PVR, but that was there since I got the recorder. I am not sure if that is normal. I got the recorder from the rent and own deal. So, I don't think it was brand new when I got it. I wouldn't be surprise the hard drive is at the end of its life. To me, it feels like the hard drive is in the read-only mode. So, I was only able to watch the recorded shows.

I don't want to do the full reset unless this is the last option, since I still can finish what I have recorded. Any other suggestions that I can try? 

Thanks!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

1. Yes, (incoming) signal looks good.

2. The clicking (not that loud) would be heard all the time that you try to access the iHDD, either watching recordings or recording.  Are you seeing any glitches when watching recordings?  If not, then the iHDD may be OK, although there may be other sectors of the iHDD that are the problem. 

3. Can you pause live TV by hitting the pause button?  If that works, the drive is fine.

4. Can you watch on-demand programming? If you can't then there could be an issue with the return signal from the PVR to the head end/node.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hi,

No, I don't see any glitches while watching recorded shows. And I am able to watch on-demand programs.

Now, I am not sure if I can pause the video or not. It seems to resume itself. Does it have limit of how long it can pause?

I also noticed the past scheduled recordings are still sitting in the list. I still have schedules that was from Sunday. Of course, they didn't get recorded. I am wonder if it is possible that the scheduling side is somehow corrupted. As I am not able to cancel any schedule recordings, past or the future.

One thing I also noticed, it cannot do resume on the recorded video anymore. After I stopped in the middle of a show, it would go back to the beginning when I play it again.

Any other suggestions before I try to see if Rogers can reset the box.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@GarfieldCat wrote:

1. Now, I am not sure if I can pause the video or not. It seems to resume itself. Does it have limit of how long it can pause?

2. I also noticed the past scheduled recordings are still sitting in the list. I still have schedules that was from Sunday. Of course, they didn't get recorded. I am wonder if it is possible that the scheduling side is somehow corrupted. As I am not able to cancel any schedule recordings, past or the future.

3. One thing I also noticed, it cannot do resume on the recorded video anymore. After I stopped in the middle of a show, it would go back to the beginning when I play it again.

1. Go to a channel like CP24. Hit Pause. After about 30 seconds of "pausing", hit rewind to see if you can watch the recorded segment. Then FF to the current time. If you can see the past 30 seconds and everything that showed since you hit pause, then it's working and the iHDD is able to record.  I believe Pause works for up to an hour or until the current programme ends.

2. Weird, especially after several reboots. A single reboot should have cleared this up.

3. With the Navigatr firmware many boxes will only resume if you hit "pause" before exiting the programme and after you're more than two minutes into the programme. Pick a programme, skip 5 minutes into the programme, hit pause and then go to a channel. Find the same programme and see if it then resumes at the point where you paused.

4. Try one more reboot. Unplug the box for 10 seconds, then replug.  I assume it then says "boot" and after about 5-10 minutes the box can again be "used" with the time displayed on the front.  I assume the box is "stand-alone" and not part of Whole Home PVR.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

To resume a recording where I left off I have to hit “stop” then exit. If I hit “pause” it starts again at the beginning of the show when I return.
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hi,

I don't know how many thank you I can say. I am really appreciated for your suggestions of what to try.

My finding is not consistent. Please note, I don't pause live video very often, so, I am not sure what to expect. I noticed:

1. Shows would paused after I hit the pause button. I wasn't able to rewind, maybe I didn't stayed on the channel long enough. Although I am able to go forward.

2. Shows would continue to play after I hit the pause button. I couldn't rewind or forward.

At first I thought that had to do with the channel I was on, but that wasn't the case. Both cases happened on CP24 or Global. 

What do you think?

Thank you again!

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks! I did make sure that I hit the stop button. So, it seems like the recording couldn't save the last position information for some reasons. Something is wrong somewhere. And it looks like it is just me having this issue so far. I had a thought that Rogers may have updated something causing this issue because my problem just happened overnight. My Friday's night scheduled recordings recorded, and Saturday's morning show didn't. Maybe this is a sign to tell me it is time to upgrade. 😋

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Hi,

I think I have temporary fix my issue. To keep the story short, it was the hard drive issue.

Here is the way I figured out. I have an old 2 TB hard drive sitting around. So, I opened up the recorder and put in this 2 TB hard drive. It booted up but it gave me HDER (assume it means hard drive error). I am not able to record any shows. But when I clicked the record button. It gave more than just the scheduling.. message. 

So, I went back to the other hard drive I took out from the recorder. It is WD Green 500 GB. So, I put it in a computer and used the hard drive tool that I downloaded from WD. Ran a quick test, it gave me errors. I used the same tool to erase the hard drive. It did gave me errors at the end said some sectors weren't able to erase. I ignored. Ran the quick test again. It passed. Put it back to the recorder. And I am able to schedule recordings and at this moment, it still can record TV shows that I scheduled.

A different question to everyone please? I don't think I can trust this hard drive and I want to replace it. I already tried the 2 TB that I have, which is not working. And it seems like it is a hit or miss about the hard drive. Just wonder if there is any recommendation from anyone that which hard drive I should try? I saw something about WD Purple 1 TB?

Thank you once again. 

View solution in original post