Receiving Audio from NextBox 3.0 via Roku App

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Receiving Audio from NextBox 3.0 via Roku App

I have a Sharp tv connected to a NextBox 9865.

when I use the Roku app on iPad or iPhone and try to use headphones it says private listening not available for HDMI cable box.

it works great on Netflix or YouTube, etc. just not cable.

Anybody have any ideas what I can try? Or is it a lost cause.

Thanks for your help.

*** Added Labels ***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Receiving Audio from NextBox 3.0 via Roku App

Hey @carlb!

I haven't tried it myself but that's definitely an interesting test! That said I don't believe it to be possible, based on the error received but I've been wrong before. Perhaps someone from the community could weigh in to confirm?

@RogersAndy

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have a question and comments.

1. What are the headphones plugged into?

2. Some TVs have "passthrough" for "external speakers" (which may be similar to headphones) when using HDMI as your input, however, you need to enable that option in the TV's audio menu. Have a look at your TV's audio menu.  Note that if you change that to "external", the TV's internal speakers will likely be shut off and you'll need to revert to your previous settings for the TV speakers.

3. It works differently for internal TV apps.

I Plan to Stick Around

It’s plugged into my iPad, like I mentioned it works ok when I stream anything, Netflix,YouTube etc.but when I switch the tv to cable it says private listening not available for HDMI input cable box.

tv doesn’t have an external speaker option, it has tv speakers “ enable on/off” or “s/pdif and arc auto detect”

thats it.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

It appears that private listening via the Roku app is only available for apps that reside on the TV, and not from any sources external to the TV.
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for your response.