ROGERS FIX YOUR GUIDE!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: ROGERS FIX YOUR GUIDE!

I agree...I just went through all my series and set them up on the original network and not the Canadian equivalent.

Managing TV series on the nextbox 3.0 is a pain. Need an online management area.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Thanks yllr, that's worth noting.  If this is consistently the case, for those who use the 'record new program only' setting, then it might make sense to set your series recording to the Yank version of the channel.  (Although I've heard it said, that for other reasons, it is often preferrable to choose to record on the Canadian channel if a program is playing on both.)

And not a PVR problem, but I've been irritated that I've missed about 5 programs in the last week because they were overtaken by live news coverage of the LATEST school shooting in the US, or by live speeches by the pres about said shooting.  I was able to get one of those shows back by finding a later airing of the show - but the others are gone bye-bye.

For this reason, I'll be setting duplicate recordings at different times of that one particular TV show.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Smiley Wink

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@roxandtreez wrote:

@hansm0leman  I was hoping that if people would report specific guide errors in this thread, then perhaps a pattern would emerge.  At least Rogers would get some idea of the extent of the issues and might be able to use it as leverage with their information supplier.

The pattern I see from my example is that when there is a new episode on Global a day ahead of the same new episode on Fox, only the episode on Fox is flagged "new".  It's as if the flag gets stripped from the Canadian network listing.

OLDYELLR I think you may be right.  If that is the case it is unfortunate for those of us with the old 8642  HDPVR because of the limited number of recording you can do at one time.  I usually reord Bones on the Canadian (I'm patriotic Smiley Wink) channel because the next day when it is broadcast on Fox I have another show to record in that time slot.  I guess once the Jays finish playing it will be a bit easier to juggle things, but till then I'll have to be extra careful checking out if something is NEW even though the guide doesn't indicate that it is.

I'm a Senior Contributor

Problems with Guide on Monday October 12 (all corrections verified through zap2it):

Channel 3 at 8:00 PM - Chicago Fire season premiere not flagged as new.

Channel 3 at 9:00 PM - Minority Report not flagged as new

Channel 17 at 11:34 PM  - The Tonight Show not flagged as new

Channel 17 at 12:37 - Late Night not flagged as new

Channel 44 at 11:00 - The Daily Show listed as "with Jon Stewart" and not flagged as new

Problems with Guide on Tuesday October 13

Channel 8 at 12:05 AM - The Daily Show with Trevor Noah not flagged as new.

I'm a Senior Advisor

For me, the Ch 3 shows are all flagged as new. Don't know about 17 and 44 because they must be different channels for me, but you're right about Channel 8 at 12:05 AM, The Daily Show with Trevor Noah.  I tried to find that on the originating network, but didn't see it "new" either.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Contributor

@OLDYELLR I guess I should have included the channel names.  I did not know that there was no standardization throughout the Rogers network, but I should have guessed.

Here in Mississauga 3- Global, 8-CTV, 17-NBC,  44-Comedy.

This would seem to mean that different servers are delivering the guide to different geographic areas, so individual results may vary.  I think my channel layout applies to all of Toronto as well.

This takes me back to an old problem with my previous 8300HD box, when the guide would only display descriptions for the first two days and the 6th day.  I worked with second level tech support since not everyone was having the problem.  They gave me a second 8300HD so I could watch or copy via firewire the programs from the first box and return it to them to use in their testing.  Just before I had the box cleared off, they reported that they had finally been able to reproduce the problem in their lab, which led me to believe it was a server problem, not the PVR.

It may be the same in this case, that customer in different geographic areas getting the guide from different servers may get different results.  It may also be that the supplier of guide info detects some of the issus and generates an update to correct the errors.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Rogers uses a particular third party source for listings. It has long been a bone of contention that Rogers listings don't include season and episode information we see on Zap2it.  As for the "new" flags, that's a bit of a mystery. I suppose they exist on the original listings from the originating networks, but appear to get stripped when ported to Canadian networks with a different date and time. Maybe there's human intervention and human errors happen, especially at the start of a new season. Those late night talk shows with ever changing hosts must be really confusing. I've come to rely on the "new" flags when networks began randomly shifting start times off the hour by a minute, but obviously that's not foolproof.

I Plan to Stick Around

I see I'm not the only one having this annoying problem!!!   What's up with Rogers and their programming the guide properly?!!!  I'm also missing shows because the guide isn't labelling them as NEW and as such the PVR isn't recording them.  Luckily for me I'm sometimes able to catch the show as I'm recording the shows in case I miss them because of my kids.  I did miss 10minutes of my show the other day because I thought the PVR was taping when it wasn't.  After I checked the guide didn't label the episode as NEW. 

GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER ROGERS OR I'M SWITCHING PROVIDERS!!!!!

I'm an Enthusiast

I've seen this problem too here in the wilds of Mississauga. Program doesn't record because not marked as new in guide. I've ended up, in some cases, watching it on the interweb. Not an ideal situation considering how much we all pay for TV viewing.
I'm a Senior Advisor

I've come to depend a lot on the "New" tag.  If you go back to the beginning of this thread, you'll see that Bones was not tagged as "New" on Global on Wednesday, but was tagged "New" on Fox on Thursday.  After that got fixed, I scheduled first run recordings on Global. It's a good thing I did, because the last 2 weeks Global moved it to Friday and I would have missed it if I'd set a time slot recording instead.  Now it's back to Wednesday again.