ROGERS FIX YOUR GUIDE!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: ROGERS FIX YOUR GUIDE!

But there's FAR MORE problems going on than just programs not accurately displaying the NEW tag.  And I'm not talking about programs starting at 9:01 pm rather than 9:00, and not just programs shifting recording days, or small changes in the name of the programs - I've been missing between 8 and 10 recordings each week that are NOT due to these specific issues.

I don't know about you guys, but my PVR has been starting to do A LOT OF WEIRD THINGS in the last few weeks.  And I'm talking about more than the usual 20 bugs in the firmware that Rogers hasn't fixed IN THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS that they've known about them.

My PVR has been pausing for 15 seconds after I execute certain commands - and it just does nothing.  And I'm sorry, but I can't remember a few other weird things it's been doing.

But back to missing recordings - starting a month ago my garbagebox would only show me Scheduled Recordings for a max. of 24 or 48 hours ahead.  And I noticed this week that if I TRY to schedule a recording for more than a day in advance - the STUPID box REFUSES to mark the program as 'Recording Set' in my search results page.

And I still don't know why the box is dropping LOTS of recordings.  It's not the standard issues we all (unfortunately) are familiar with.

And that's not even to mention the other issues - like lovely Sunday football games that make programs start 18 minutes late - so if you set recordings after a football game - you end up missing the last quarter of your program.  (And I think TV executives think nobody else in the world matters other than football fans - or this is INTENTIONAL - part of a conspiracy of about 10 different techniques to subtly steer us back to watching live TV, rather than rely on our PVR's.)  And, with the dozen problems I've been having with my PVR in the last week - I'm really becoming more convinced that Rogers REALLY DOESN'T WANT TO PROVIDE US with a RELIABLE PVR.  I'm becoming more and more convinced that this 'worst designed PVR on the market' is intentional - because they want to reduce (as much as they can) - our ability to skip commercials.

But part of the reason I'm on a rant right now - is because last night I had a convergence of issues conspire to make my PVR viewing even harder than usual.  The football game made several of the shows I watch begin 18 minutes late.  So I thought I could protect myself from this issue by recording EVERY show that ran on that channel - all evening, including for an hour after the last show that I wanted to watch that night.

But lovely Rogers PVR (lack of) technology competency jumped up with an occasional bug in the Recordings list screen where some of the recordings DON'T SHOW UP.  They are actually there on the box - but they are INVISIBLE.  Some of you may have come across this problem when a blank line or two shows up in the recorded programs list.  And I don't know if it's intimately related to the problem that when you page up through the program list - the highlight over each program DISAPPEARS.  So the only way to select a program to watch is to page up several screens, and then page back down to that program - and THEN the highlight returns - and you can select the program to watch.

Well this problem of disappearing programs happened while I was trying to deal with the complication of watching programs that were split up across multiple recordings because of the (football delayed) time issue.   I ALMOST gave up and assumed that the box didn't record the program I wanted to see.  But performing a reboot fixed the issue.

BUT I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO CONSTANTLY DEBUG THIS DRACKLINGSTOGDARNIT BOX.

Why are there STILL several dozen bugs with this box after it has been on the market for 2 whole years?  (and it's actually worse than that - because many of these bugs are the SAME PROBLEMS that began with the NB2 !)

Words cannot describe how I feel about Rogers and this box.  And the lack of compensation Rogers offers when I call and complain.

So I've actually gone as far as printing up posters (big and laminated) - that I'm going to take down to Rogers Head office and stand there and ask cars to honk as they go past if they agree with me about how I feel about Rogers.  (And the only reason I haven't gone down there yet is because I've been in bed for 2 weeks with a sore throat.)

And Rogers - you're lucky I don't have Tar and Feathers - or a Pitchfork.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@billmcintyre it would help if you stated which PVR you have and which user interface. There were a few problems with the SARA interface for the 8300's but the RTN interface for the Nextboxes was worse. So instead of fixing it, Rogers brought out Navigatr, which was even worse yet. My experience is only with the SA8300 and SARA.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Hi @OLDYELLR  I'm using (my second) NB3 (non-Navigatr).

I had to replace my first NB3 because FOR THREE MONTHS it was practically useless.  It would frequently NOT PLAY any recording - and in order to play ANYTHING - I would have to reboot - and sometimes the reboot wouldn't fix the problem, and I would sometimes have to reboot up to 8 or 9 times in order to be able to use my PVR - and - as you might imagine - if I had this problem any time between 8 pm and 11 pm - I COULDN'T use my PVR - because all that rebooting would cut HUGE CHUNKS out of the recordings of TV programs I was hoping to record that evening.

This is a known problem - well described in another thread.  The only solution is to do a factory reset - and Rogers says that is only a temporary fix - and the box has a hardware problem.   So I had to scan through all the stuff I was saving on my HD before replacing the box.

But you are luck to have the SA 8300 with SARA firmware.  At least that box was reliable and fast.  I had one.  I miss many aspects of it.  And when Rogers spreads the Navigarbage virus to my area - I may buy a SA 8300 box again - or say goodbye to Rogers forever.

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@billmcintyre it would help if you stated which PVR you have and which user interface. There were a few problems with the SARA interface for the 8300's but the RTN interface for the Nextboxes was worse. So instead of fixing it, Rogers brought out Navigatr, which was even worse yet. My experience is only with the SA8300 and SARA.

I hope you remember that a few years ago there was a SARA update that caused a couple of major issues. One was HSUD - abbreviated on another forum to stand for Hard Drive Spinning Up and Down. This same update also caused many hard drives to be wiped out of all of their recordings. It took Rogers over a year to correct these issues. Since then, the SA8300 has virtually become obsolete due to NB2 and NB3. The reason why the SA8300 is now so stable is because Rogers is no longer inflicting it with updates (downgrades) the way they are with the current hardware. Rogers has never figured out how to leave well enough alone!

I'm a Senior Advisor

Today I notice that the Rogers Guide for CHCH, Channel 11 Hamilton says "To Be Announced" from 2:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. and the Manage PVR guide is blank for that period. (The Zap2it guide is fine.)  I have a regular program scheduled, (Square Off) new episodes, at 5:30. Now I'm wondering if my PVR will pick it up. I can't even schedule it in the time slot, because it's not there. I guess I'll have to set a manual recording as well in case the scheduled one doesn't work.

After scheduling the manual recording, I'm looking through my scheduled recordings and only see the manual one for that date, not the scheduled one, so if the Guide doesn't change before 5:30, I would have missed it. So whad do we have to do now, check every day to see if the Rogers Guide is working so our scheduled recordings will record?

I'm a Senior Advisor

Well, it's after 5:30, the Rogers Guide still has "To Be Annouced" for Channel 11 and my manual recording is recording, plus an old Top Gear rerun. Obviously it didn't tell me I couldn't record 3 shows at once, so my regularly scheduled recording was not going to happen. Another Rogerd fail. Maybe Rogers needs a new TV schedule provider.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Looks like the mystery about CHCH unravels. Tonight, in place of Square Off, Romen Podzyhun, Chairman and CEO of Channel Zero, came on and Square Off was cancelled, apparently due to financial constraints. Not sure if the Rogers schedule provider had received notification of programming changes and put in the "To be announced" stuff or what. It's sad, because Square Off was the best show on CHCH.

I've Been Around

Rogers go back to the old list, was so easy, now takes to long have to click on the programs to see when they were recorded, just a pain in the a..  ,  shows that you can get the date on them, but it doesn't come up.  Go Back, till you get this thing working correctly,  maybe we should all go to Bell

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Another rant.

This month I'm recording and watching the Tour de France and, of course, the Formula One Qualifying and Races. This morning I watched my recording of the British GP and then went on to watch my recording of Stage 9 of the Tour.  Except what I saw was Stage 8, which I'd already seen yesterday. All I was able to catch was the last 2-3 kilometres of Stage 9 live. Turns out that the "Stage 9" I'd scheduled using the RAPTV web app was something on City TV at 1:00 a.m., well before the actual race, our time. It was actually Stage 8 mislabelled "Stage 9". I also found my scheduled recording for Stage 10 was also on City TV at 1:00 a.m. Monday (a Rest Day), but at least I found the real Stage 10 at 8:00 a.m. Tuesday on SN1HD and scheduled it too.  Not sure whose fault these mislabelled programs are, but it looks like human error. I bet the "Stage 10" have scheduled at 1:00 a.m. Monday is actually the Stage 9 I missed but for the end.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I don't know if it's Rogers or TSN's fault, but Rogers being the messenger ends up the culprit and should be going after TSN.

For two weeks in a row now I set a recording for Sunday's Formula 1 Race using RAPTV and both times, by the time I went to watch the recording I found it was some miscellaneous sports instead and had to find the last half of the race live on another TSN channel.  The RAPTV search finds the race on the first available TSN channel (TSN1, 494) when, in fact, that isn't what TSN broadcasts on that channel. Why do you keep doing it, TSN? You have 5 channels, why not keep it consistent and actually broadcast what you advertise?