ROGERS FIX YOUR GUIDE!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

ROGERS FIX YOUR GUIDE!

My daughter just called me asking if the Bones episode on Global at 9:00 was a new one.  I have it set to record all first run episodes and it wasn't recording because the Rogers Guide does not say "New". Turns out it IS a new episode, the season 11 premier. it says so on Zap2it and Epguides. Fortunately, I can record it in HD on Global Vancouver at midnight.

Wake up Rogers! Maybe it's time you switched to a more reliable TV listings provider, and while you're at it, get one that provided season and episode numbers.

***Edited Labels***

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Re: ROGERS FIX YOUR GUIDE!

Hi @OLDYELLR,

I'll investigate this with our second level support to see if this a known issue. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

I'm a Senior Advisor

Thank you. I'm sure it's not the first time a new episode has not been flagged as "new", but it defeats scheduling first run shows. In fact, it used to be so common in past years that I would schedule shows only by day, channel and time slot, but then some networks began randomly changing the start times by one minute, so they wouldn't record. Scheduling "first run" got around that, but only if the shows were flagged as new.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@OLDYELLR, @RogersHassam

There are so many problems with the guide, you couldn't keep up with them.  Here are a three examples:

Saturday October 3 at 11:29 - Saturday Night Live - Channel 17 does not show it as new, channel 3 shows it as new.

Tues October 6 at 8:00 PM - Best time ever with Neil Patrick Harris:  channel 17 does not show it as new, channel 20 shows it as new.

Friday October 2 at 8:00 PM - Last Man Standing -channel 18 has the description "Mike wants Boyd to walk home from school ..."  Channel 11 has the description "A freestyle-motocross competition".

I did notice that you (RogersHassam) were able to get the schedule overlap fro Breakfast Television and Cityline corrected, so Kudos to you!

I was consdering setting up a new thread just to report guide errors, but I don't know if you have the resources to do anything about it.  However, maybe getting all the errors reported would show some patterns.  For example, maybe channel 17 is not reporting the information correctly to the guide provider.  What do you think?

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Hello @roxandtreez,

Thanks for sharing and your idea about creating a thread to report guide problems sounds really good. We have the same access as technical support and customer service here in @CommunityHelps. We monitor the posts and check our tech alerts board to see if what is being discussed on the forums is a known reported issue (Multiple users are reporting the same problem). Usually the norm is if we don't see the issue on the tech alerts board or receive communication that an issue is being reported by multiple users, we treat it as a single fault issue and troubleshoot accordingly. Do share the issues here and we will do our best to pass the information to the appropriate teams and provide assistance wherever needed Smiley Happy

RogersHassam 

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@OLDYELLR The problem with inaccurate TV listings may be a symptom of Rogers switching the company it gets its TV listings from a few years ago.  I'm sure there are people who post here who know much more about this, but didn't Rogers switch the source where it gets its TV listings about (approximately) 2 years ago?

And what I find particularly galling about this change, is the listings USED to be accurate and reliable and honest. 

NOW - the listings are just ADVERTISING.  The show descriptions, especially when describing movies, are all compliments and fluff and have glowing descriptions like 'hilarious' and 'riotously funny,' etc.

I'll bet you anything that this change was to increase the SALES of VOD movies.  The listings are no longer accurate realistic descriptions of the movies - they are ADVERTISEMENTS for these movies - so that Rogers can make MORE money from On Demand sales of movies.

And this might not bother me so much, except, that during the transition, the movie listings became MUCH less useful, especially because with the old listings, the stars of the movie WERE LISTED - but the new listings usually do NOT list who is in the movie - and - I don't know about your memory, but mine is so bad, that if the stars are not listed, I have a HUGE difficulty remembering whether I saw the movie before - or not.

I don't know about you guys - but I'm sick and TIRED of Rogers making 'our viewing experience' WORSE - so that they can make more profit.

---- end of rant ----

I Plan to Stick Around

Also Big Bang Theory earlier this week.  I recall it being the 7:30 pm timeslot on CTV.  The guide needs to be accurate, and it simply is not.  We still pay for Saturday Toronto Star delivery in order to get their guide, simply because the Rogers guide is unreliable.  We are growing very tired of Rogers unreliable products and services.  (I still can't sign in to Rogers Community Forums directly from Rogers Community Forums without getting stuck in an endless "loading" loop in the website).

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

My daughter just called me asking if the Bones episode on Global at 9:00 was a new one.  I have it set to record all first run episodes and it wasn't recording because the Rogers Guide does not say "New". Turns out it IS a new episode, the season 11 premier. it says so on Zap2it and Epguides. Fortunately, I can record it in HD on Global Vancouver at midnight.

Wake up Rogers! Maybe it's time you switched to a more reliable TV listings provider, and while you're at it, get one that provided season and episode numbers.

***Edited Labels***

@OLDYELLR

I never use the new episode feature because it has never been reliable in all the years I've had my SA8300HD PVR.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Originally I never used the "First Run only on this channel" option because I didn't quite understand what it meant, but after start times began randomly changing by a minute and the Time Slot option missed shows, I found the First Run choice very useful and it worked so long as shows were flagged "new".

Incidentally, I now see next week's Bones on Global not flagged as "new" either. However, it's on Fox tonight and is flagged as "new", so it would be more reliable to set the recording for Fox a day later. I wonder if the listing providers ignore new shows if they're on a Canadian network a day ahead of the originating American network.

I'm a Senior Contributor

@OLDYELLR, @jimboden

You two have it easier because you are not on Navigatr.  Navigatr is much more dependent on Guide information.  For example, if you watch all recorded episodes and there are no scheduled episodes, the tile for the series disappears.  This often happens when you watch the last recorded episode on the night it is recorded.  The Guide does not yet have next week's episode available, so no tile is created.  It should show up again once the Guide is updated, but I am not sure that this may cause some episodes to be dropped.  I have to track it a bit longer to see if I can find a pattern.