ROD not working

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

ROD not working

ROD seems to not be working well and when I called they told me not to bother ordering a movie.  Gone Girl is apparently choppy... Anyone having issues with this?  Rogers wasn't much help.

***Edited labels***

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: ROD not working

Our problem is the box keeps rebooting most times we try to use Rogers on Demand. Started happening on Friday - when we woke up there was a CD 00 code on the box. We rebooted it and now these problems.

Can't beleive how flaky the Next Box line is.

Did Rogers say what is wrong and when it would be fixed?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Other than the ocasssional reboot when there is a display issue on the guide listing (reboot brings the missing ones back) i have not had a single issue with my NB3..

While there obviously can be a FEED issue for any things on there (bad recording/feed, etc).

MOST other ROD issues stem around BAD signal.  Compared to just regular tv watching.. where all the commands are just done localy (other than the comand sent to TUNE the channel).  ROD requires a good signal for TWO WAY communication.. it needs to send signals to switch the menus.. and then sends that new menu choices back to you, etc.

I've Been Here Awhile

Our Rogers on demand has been choppy and unwatchable for about 3 weeks.

Choppy, pixelated and unwatchable on both  video and audio.  All of our on demand channels do this and this happens only at peak times during most evenings and on weekends.  All other channels work fine.  Just anythig from Rogers on Demand comes through with lines and garbled audi and frame skipping video. Resetting the box a number of times did not fix it.

In the mornings it works fine but evenings, especially weekends, the on demand is unwatchable.  We are located in East York. This is not fun when you have paid for a movie and have to call in and wait on hold for half an hour to complain to try to get your money back.  The rep said the signal looked good on their end and put in a request for their engineers to look at the problem. A couple of days later we received a voicemail saying they had fixed it. The problem was not fixed.  Called again and they set up an appointment for a service tech.

I took the afternoon off work so a service rep could come out and he changed out  a few old connectors.  This did not fix the issue.  Our signal to the home is fine and the signal at the tv is fine. Of course the on demand is usually working during the day when the tech is there.  I showed them a video of what it looks like in the evenings that I took with my phone.

I called Rogers again yesterday, after 3 weeks of not being able to watch a movie with the family, and they said there are lots of people complaining about this same issue and it is a software issue with our particular model of netbox3.  They are trying to get a fix from Cisco.  Why didn't the tech who came out know about this? Also they told me that I would probably have the same issue if I swapped ot the netbox for a new one so it may be an area thing. 

Very frustrating!

It would be nice to hear from anyone else having this issue.

I'm Here A Lot

I do not believe that it is the PVR because I have experienced this behaviour on both of my 8300HD units going back as far as last August.I do not use OD very often and never for a program requiring payment.To me,OD,at any given time is hit or miss.Sometimes,the picture and sound are good from the start.At other times,the original preview screen is good before the screen goes dark to "LOADING".However,when the menu screen shows up,many times the sound and picture of the inset picture in the upper right hand quadrant are distorted and if you try to continue to your selection and press "watch",the picture and sound of your selection is still distorted.Therefore,you should be able to know if your picture quality will be distorted if you continue to the screen where you have to authorize payment.If the picture quality is good up to the point of pressing "watch",I have not observed problems once your selection is playing.However,I have experienced problems after watching one program and then trying to go to a second one.All of a sudden the picture quality just goes to crap.I cannot recall if I ever tried a reboot to resolve the problem(I do not think that resolves the problem).If I have a problem at the start,I "exit" and try again.Eventually,I will get a clean picture;it once took me 15-20 minutes,after numerous start/exit cycles.Usually,I do not have the patience to do this and exit and try again at a different time or day.Since I do not use this feature very often,I have never contacted Rogers about it.I don't believe that it is a localized signal problem, things happen.You might get more feedback if you post on the Digital forum:

http://digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37

I'm a Senior Advisor

ROD requires more resources than just watching cable TV and it also needs to communicate back and forth a lot more. I would check connections and signal strength.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm an Advisor

Bryguy1:

If you give me some specific channel number(s) you're having issues with, I will try them out myself and report back. I'm also in East York and have an SA8300HD PVR. My results may or may not prove anything of course, but I do have an excellent signal which I can see in the diagnostic screen.

I'm Here A Lot

ROD keeps failing, had no problem last year. Now I'm told its low quality cable in the house. I'm replacing it myself to see if this works?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That might help.. assuming its not splitters/connectors.

You dont necessarily want to swap those yourself.. as you can get ones which can omit specific freqncy ranges, etc, which could effect things as well.

Might be worth getting a rogers tech out, to check singal at all points.. then if you need to replace cables, etc at that point.

I'm Here A Lot

New cable didn't work.
called rogers (on hold for 30 min. at 2am!)
They are "upgrading" my
complaint. Tech that came out said my signal strength is strong. I'm not having ANY other issues with my cable, good picture, no pixelation etc...
Had the box last year with NO PROBLEMS. Meanwhile my cable bill comes and I've been charged for an extra outlet and and my monthly fee has increased due to my signal being "digitized"?
An extra charge that someone at Rogers store said I needed to get ROD.
Service guy on phone said he never heard of this! I'll now return the cable I bought and now consider changing to Bell like the guy at the electronics store suggested!!!!
I'LL CONTINUE TO WAIT.