Question about Nextbox

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Question about Nextbox

Is there a more recent Nextbox model than the Explorer 8642HD?

*** Edited Labels ***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Question about Nextbox

@tfadams wrote:

Is there a more recent Nextbox model than the Explorer 8642HD?

*** Edited Labels ***

Yes there is.

It was launched as the Nextbox 3.0 - now its simply known as the Nextbox PVR.  Its the Cisco/Technicolor 9865HD

It is head and shoulders above the 8642, performance wise.

I've Been Here Awhile

Viewing PVR content remotely

Perhaps I am missing the answer to this somewhere within the forums but I haven't found anything as yet. Has Rogers still not come up with a way to watch recorded PVR content remotely, say on an iPad or iPhone ?

I'm a Senior Advisor

@ottfire1 wrote:

Viewing PVR content remotely

Perhaps I am missing the answer to this somewhere within the forums but I haven't found anything as yet. Has Rogers still not come up with a way to watch recorded PVR content remotely, say on an iPad or iPhone ?

Not with the current generation of hardware, no.

You'll have to wait for the IP-based Ignite TV, which features a cloud-based DVR.

I'm a Senior Advisor

The only place currently that most companies allow for watching your pvr is within your home over the internal home network.  I would suspect that in my review of licenses and patents and copyright/sharing rights that I have been reviewing that there are limitations on the sharing outside of the home of the recorded content.

It is technically feasible with cloud PVR which Comcast has designed and is described on the Xfinity.com web sites under cloud DVR - in there they describe a limit of access to the most recent recordings within 60 hours - suspect this lies in copyright and broadcast rights, same as we find across the board in different areas of remote access and casting.

So, some form of it may show up in the new IPTV that rolls out in the future and also depending upon what Rogers decides to take into their models. Bell already has the feature in place with the similiar condition of limited period of time for access.

So it will largely be keeping up with the Jones' on the TV side of things - you can get these same features on Satellite, VMedia, and other providers now too.  So look  forward to seeing what they have and what they are going to charge - Many of these feature sets in the US with Comcast, and with Bell and Shaw are add-ons for extra fee, so will be an interesting competetive market as Rogers catches up.

It will come.

Bruce

So if we see it, it will exist when cloud PVR comes

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Ok Thanks!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BS wrote:

The only place currently that most companies allow for watching your pvr is within your home over the internal home network.  I would suspect that in my review of licenses and patents and copyright/sharing rights that I have been reviewing that there are limitations on the sharing outside of the home of the recorded content.

Just as an FYI, Bell Fibe have an app for this.  It's discussed in detail in the following thread - read the last few pages for additional information.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/188-bell-fibe-tv/239154-bell-fibe-tv-app-7.html

As you mention, it's a rights issue that needs to be negotiated, along with the appropriate technology.