Pvr won't boot up Er54 message

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Pvr won't boot up Er54 message

This morning I awoke to my PVR scrolling up and down through a series of letters and numbers. It stops and says Proc and a few seconds and then Er.54. Tried unplugging it for an hour but the same thing happens. Its been scrolling for about an hour now. What does ER54 mean?

***Edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Pvr won't boot up Er54 message

Unfortunately there is not a guide to the error codes around Smiley Sad

But.. from my understanding/experience.. is that its stuck in a download loop... trying to download an update.. and cant.

SOME people have had luck, leaving the box unplugd for a number of hours (like a whole work day), then trying again, and eventually got past it.

Beyond that...

A ) could be a signal issue.. the signal to the box is just not quite good enough, causing the download to fail.  Would get a tech out to check this.
B ) something on the box.. which may mean swapping... but do this LAST.. as you will loose all recordings.

I've Been Here Awhile

I had the same situation this morning.  Could not get any help on the error code 54.

I installed a new hard drive (which I was planning to do) and everything is fine now so I can only assume that er 54 is bad HD or something close.

I'm a happy camper again.

Mike

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A new drive in it, would have forced it to download the software as a whole (not just an update), so might have bypassed the problem of getting JUST the patch.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for your comments and you may verywell be correct.  If, however, the patch was faulty, should there not be a lot of customers with the same problem?  I called "tech support" who could not offer any suggestions except to give me the name of a repair outfit (since I own the box).

Would be interesting to hear comments from others who might have similar experiences.  I also intend to check out the HD to see if I can detect any problems with it.

Kind regards.

Mike

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It's not alway necessarily that the patch is faulty, it's just that the box can not get it properly.

Anything from a bad/corrupt download, to bad signal not allowing it to communicate to download to check the download properly.
My bedroom HD box is JUST in the ok limits signal wise and I know it takes longer to update than the HD box in the basement, likely due to signal.

I've Been Here Awhile

I have a set top box from CISCO, Explorer 8642 HD. Last night, Feb 1st, it started displaying HEX numbers in decrementing mode and never comes out of the loop. I unplugged the box and waited for 10 minutes. When it is powered, it displays ER 54 and starts displying the same looping HEX numbers. It is stuck there and it seems it will never come out of this loop. I cannot make use of set top box. Any ideas how to flash or reboot the bloody box? Has anyone seen the same thing?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its quite possibly getting the new guide download.. and failing.

USUALLY something like this, often can happen when its not quite great signal to the box at that specific location.

Do you have another cable outlet in the house you can move it to and see if it completes there?

(in the long run, probably worth getting rogers out to check the signal at that location)

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for your suggestions. I will definitely try everything possible.