Programming issues incorrect guide

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Programming issues incorrect guide

Trust me Yellr its not isolated to your sport. The more mainstream sports and I think more watched such as football and baseball, this happens there as well not to mention horse racing. At times in the middle of football games and a team is about to score the screen goes dark and comes back on after the play! What a circus! We are not second class unless we allow them to continue this fiasco and dictatorship approach. I too am looking at other options. 

Im not an employee either LOL, but if I was I would find work elsewhere with a respectable company Smiley Very Happy

I Plan to Stick Around

The best thing Rogers could do in most cases in order to maintain their positive customer base is put forth a true effort to listen and progress. It would seem Rogers does monitor these forums. The bottom line here is a collective common ground having the consumer getting what he pays for a full satisfaction. Rogers must have the insight to realize this although they are so big that can be left behind. They could easily assign customer service oriented people that can communicate effectively and clearly to address and assist the client in a productive way. There is nothing worse then calling customer service and be put on hold for 20 minutes or more to simply have your call transferred to a boiler room in another country. For those that don't know it is an out sourced service that pays people in other countries lower wages to answer the phones with much lesser knowledge for the consumer. The frustration that comes with this is a communication barrier and unnecessary bad feelings and in the the end the issue is not resolved for the most part. The valuable feedback we provide for these companies should be met with open arms in hopes they can extract front line views from hands on people that use the product daily. What an opportunity we are giving Rogers and imagine what could be accomplished with a little insight and support.Man Indifferent

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just so you are aware.. ALL rogers call centers are in CANADA.
If they hire people who are of different ethnic backgrounds and are not able to communicate in very clear english, is another matter 😛
(compared to some of the other carriers, who are outsourced outside of the country)

But you are correct.. those sorts of things, ontop of the MANY other things they have to fix CS wise.. would go ALONG way to improving the company and its image.  (the price is at least a little more stomachable when you are getting stellar service/support)

They are starting to listen partialy at least... opening things like the IDEABOX.  Something that is specificaly designed for submitting things to be passed directly onto the devs.  A few MINOR things have been done already, nothing big, but its a start (alot of the stuff could take a LONG Time to do)

Currently its only for CS, website, etc related changes.. not hardware, etc.

I Plan to Stick Around

Well that may be true Rogers does not use boiler rooms however what they do have in common with the big companies that provide the services we buy are many other strategic approaches to deter people calling in or pursuing issues to their completion. Those items such as weak phone systems, hard to hear them, slow computers, weak communicators, insufficient responses etc. Now in my opinion these few I listed are DEFINITELY by design. This approach can and will only frustrate the caller further and I would estimate the majority at that point simply hang up. As a matter of fact I would bet on it. I forgot to mention while being on hold this loud screechy music. This is not by accident its definitely by design. I am not a complainer I simply have a perspective of a consumer and get tired of paying premium prices and in return receive this type service. We cannot make excuses for these companies and suggest its a long process to correct! I could go into Rogers and over the course of 1 month meet all the employees in group sessions and lay down the new procedures, a simple and east to follow guide with a customer based satisfaction guarantee process. Incentives and real surveys that are actually viewed and acted upon. Too much red tape in business for most and too many excuses. Improved equipment and clear and concise communication. Same old story its low on the list in comparison to profit crunching accountants. They need a troubleshooter like me to get in their and turn things around FAST!!!!Man Wink

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Happened to me again, and as usual, it was a Premier League soccer match that was incorrectly listed in the guide.

A few days ago, the Guide showed "Barclays Premier League Soccer: Liverpool vs. Tottenham" would be on TSN2 at 11:00AM Sunday March 30. I scheduled a recording at that time.

At 12:00PM today (Sunday), I went to watch the recording.. but instead of soccer, TSN2 was broadcasting the Formula One Malaysian Grand Prix (repeat, not live). The soccer match I wanted was actually being broadcast on TSN, not TSN2.

The Guide today reflects the change, but the correction came too late for anyone who had scheduled a recording prior to the last Guide update.

I went to TSN's website to see if I could find out whether this channel change was a last-minute decision on TSN's part, which would excuse the Guide mess-up. Instead, I found the full season broadcast schedule that was posted months ago, and this match was always scheduled to be on TSN and not TSN2.

Last season this very same issue happened numerous times, most frequently with matches broadcast on the various SportsNet channels. I took to not relying on the Guide and instead checking the Toronto Star's Sports section on gameday morning because their info was always correct.

Accuracy is expected.

Accuracy is needed.

I expect the company that supplies Rogers with the Guide info says, "We correct mistakes and broadcast schedule changes as we're made aware of them", and that Rogers is satisfied with that answer. As a customer, I say, "That's not good enough - you provide a mechanism for customers to schedule recordings in advance and if that hasn't been designed to deal with schedule changes and corrections, then it's not a very good mechanism, is it? Improve it!"

This could be accomplished fairly simply: after a Guide Update, it should check the list of Scheduled Recordings and verify that all recordings scheduled for the next 3-4 days (ie: the period before the next scheduled Guide Update) match the channel & broadcast time/window. If/when a discrepancy is found, it should either bring up an on-screen Alert overlay so that the user can be notified on the issue and be given the opportunity to manually correct the problem, or better yet - it should automatically attempt to resolve the issue without user interaction by searching the Guide for the most similar entry. So in the soccer example I provided at the top of this post, it should detect that an identical program entry is found on TSN rather than TSN2 as had been originally scheduled, and silently make the change.

I've Been Around

your programming guide sucks.....I recorded 507 TSN2 8:30pm for the eastern conference final game 2.  I come home start watching, is showing hockey.....what is wrong with u guys....the high charging money we pay to rogers to get this service is not acceptale.....this is not your first time that happen....now i don't get to watch the team that i like....extremely upset

***edited for content***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While rogers is able to edit the guide.. they are not the ones that provide the information for it.

The stations themselves, release their schedules.
there are a bunch of 3rd party companies which collect this information to make the guide listings. (these companies, ontop of providing for rogers, bell, etc also provide for WMC pc listings, tuner card listings, DVRs etc.)

Its possible the STATION changed their broadcasting schedule and never informed of the change.
Or if they did, the 3rd party company didnt pick up on it and push it along.

(depending on when the change was, may have been to late to push it out anyways)

Not saying rogers has no blame in this.. they are just not directly at fault.. but since they are the provider, they need to keep on the 3rd party companies, etc for accuracy.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Rogers really is in a no win situation here. Search the forums and you'll find customers who want MORE guide information, and now here's a thread wanting less. Listening to customers is great, but which group do you listen to! And no matter what they do, they're going to tick somebody off and be told 'they don't listen'
I've Been Around

Had two major experiences of this over the weekend:  used the guide to record the Monaco F1 race on TSN2, and ended up with a variety of hockey and baseball (turns out the race was actually on TSN1);  and my scheduled recording of the UEFA Champions League match on SN1 ended up with two hours of baseball.

Yet another reason why Rogers is utterly crap.  The Rogers defenders will point out that the guide is not programmed by Rogers, but if it's so unreliable then why does Rogers choose to burden us with it?

I also didn't appreciate my box rebooting itself at 2pm for a software download, while I was watching a movie.  I'm already resigned to any recording scheduled between 1am and 5am failing to appear, due to the early morning update, but Sunday afternoons as well?

I've lived and had cable in six countries, and Rogers is without question the worst I've ever experienced.  Compared to cable in the USA, Rogers is at least 15 years behind the times.  (And at least in the USA you can rely on getting one automotive channel.)

I'm switching to Bell.  I know they have their own issues, but no way in heck can they be anywhere as based as Rogers or its customer service.  I'm just sorry (and astounded) that Toronto residents have such a poor selection to choose from.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I had the same disappointing experience with the Monaco Grand Prix. I'd set it to record a few days earlier right off the Rogers Guide. Got up just after eight, made breakfast and sat down to watch the race and all I saw was a load of stick-and-ball stuff. By the time I found it live on TSN2, the race was half over.

However, I can't blame Rogers. The blame has to be squarely on TSN's shoulders  for listing the race on TSN2 when it's normally on TSN and then switching at the last moment. You can't always blame Rogers for the network's screw-ups.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario