PreOwned Box

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

PreOwned Box

Just wondering if I buy a previously owned HD Box if there is any reauthorization steps or requirements for the previous owner to do before I can use it on my own?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: PreOwned Box

You will probably have to call rogers and let them know the box serial number to activate it on your account.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

You will probably have to call rogers and let them know the box serial number to activate it on your account.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Here's a related question:

Is it possible to activate the same make and model PVR (e.g. Scientific Atlanta 8300HD) that Rogers uses, only one that was previously issued by another cable provider, such as Videotron in Quebec or a U.S. cable provider?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

nope rogers only activates boxes with rogers software and their range of serial numbers. hope this helps

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

When purchasing a preowned box I would call Rogers with the serial before paying for it to

ensure that it is not still active or a lost or stolen box. 

I had a friend have that happen to them and they got screwed... had a useless box that they paid for

and couldn't find the guy after the transaction...

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I just purchased what appears to be a new return on eBay.  I could see from the logo that it was manufactured for Rogers, and didn't think it was necessary to phone Rogers.  However, it turned out that my serial number is still registered to a customer "somewhere", and was told that Rogers doesn't have a policy to let them verify that the box wasn't stolen.  Here is what I think is a flaw in their process:

1. If a customers purchases a DT from Best Buy etc. and activates it on, say a VIP account, the customer is under no obligation to inform Rogers if the box is returned/exchanged if the customer believes it is defective or just unsuitable.
  2. As a result, Rogers thinks the original S/N is still active.  VIP customers can simply activate a replacement box (2nd of 3 allowed at no charge), creating an orphaned serial number.
  3. If Best Buy sells the customer return to a bulk purchaser (who in turn puts it on eBay), the next purchaser will not be able to activate it, since the account holder (who originally activated it) never bothered to notify Rogers.  The S/N has been orphaned, and Rogers' has no process for resetting the status of these orphan S/N.

So, I can probably return my DT to the eBay seller - who is legit with thousands of feedbacks - but I shouldn't have to do so.  The S/N was never reported as stolen, so as far as Rogers is concerned the box should just go to the dump.  So much for making any attempt to be environmentally friendly.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Theres pleanty of warnings on the net about buying a second hand box.  for the most part people say to get the serial number from the seller, check it with rogers and if it checks out ok, then ur pretty much good.  if the serial does not check ok, i would just tell the seller ur not interested.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The problem stems from the people selling them/getting rid of them.

Most people that didnt rent them (which you had to return).. and if they were switching, would yes just get rid of them or sell them.

The problem is, that its still tied to their account.  Since it still is, rogers cant re-authorize it.

Its the SELLERS responsibility to make sure that they de-authorize it before they get rid of it.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

no kidding

and buyer beware.  a smart buyer will do a pre-chek to see if the device he is buying can be activated so he does not waste his time and buy a lemom

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I see someone advertising a Rogers HD PVR box for sale, and they claim to own it. 

Do I need to somehow verify that they do in fact own it before buying it?  If I try to use it at home, will Rogers authorize it?

Thanks