Picture-in-Picture

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Picture-in-Picture

@57 wrote:

I understand that some people like to use PoP,

Can you explain the difference between PiP and PoP?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OLDYELLR:

Picture inside Picture has one full screen picture with a smaller picture covering a (smaller) portion of the full screen.  Typically the small picture can be moved to 4 different locations of the screen based on your preference (top-right, bottom-right, top-left, bottom-left).

Picture outside Picture has two equal sized (smaller) pictures, usually side-by-side.  The issue with the Navigatr firmware is that the side-by-side pictures are very small - similar in size to the small PiP.  They were bigger with RTN (the previous firmware).  Some TVs used to have adjustable size PoP, however, as the digital age with external STBs, and PVRs made TV PiP/PoP redundant, the feature disappeared from many TVs.

The PoP option is invoked by repeatedly pressing "Move" and the 5th "move" takes you to PoP.

The 8300 with SARA only has PiP.

Here's a sample link:

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/313182/Rca-D61w20.html?page=34

I've Been Here Awhile

can someone clarify prior to my attempting to do this, inc case its all for naught::?

i have a OLD remote, with my 2nd nextbox, a 2.0 model.

i also have a NEW remote, with my new 3.0 box.

i want to re-gain the PIP "MOVE" function on my 3.0 box.

so...

can i simply SWAP remotes and i'll get the PIP MOVE function on my 3.0 box?

yes? or no?

thx, ron

I'm an Advisor

Yes, swap the remotes to get your PiP back. I am doing this right now and can confirm it works. 

I've Been Here Awhile

it sure does. and its not even a matter of "pairing" or impairing. it just works. lol.

I'm an Advisor

Glad to hear it worked! 

I've Been Around

I get no response from PIP button on both older and newer remotes. One box is Explorer 4642HD, the other Nextbox 4K. Both don't work. Tech support said it's remote, but I've tried 3 different remotes, also have whole home PVR set up with PVR upstairs. Should this work??

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SlickPV:

You cannot get PiP with a STB since it only has one tuner. You would need a PVR which has more than one tuner.  You say you have WHPVR, so you should be able to get PiP on that PVR itself (upstairs?).  I assume it's either an 8642 or a 9865 and both are capable of PiP. The older SA8300HD is also capable.

I Plan to Stick Around

Problems with PIP on Nextbox 3

Hi All,

For as long as i can remember, i've had an issue when i use Picture-in-Picture on the Nextbox 3.  If i am, for instance, watching a recorded program & change to PIP, i'll change the channel to the one i want to see on the other small screen.  The recorded program will continue to play when i change the screens - the secondary (to changed channel) to the primary.  When i change back to make the recorded program the primary & close down PIP, the recorded program will, more often than not, freeze up & the only way, most times, i can get the program to run again will be to open PIP again & switch back & forth between the two & close PIP.  Most of the time in the past, this has worked to unfreeze the watched recorded program but it will not start at the place left off.  It will be either several minutes behind where left off or several minutes ahead of where left off.  This only happens if i switch between the two screens.  If i only open PIP & not switch, i don't have this problem.

Has anyone else ran into this problem (as best as i can describe it)?  Clearly there is an issue - how wide spread it is is the reason for my post.  Other than this issue, the box runs fine - not perfect but much better than when Navigatr was released.

TIA

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That is an odd one.  

I havent tried it myself.. but i can understand WHY it may have an issue..

Generally with the new boxes.. NB2 and greater.. they changed the way that the PVR playback happened.
On the older generation, it actually played back the recordings on a CHANNEL.  This would make it very easy to do PiP.

With the newer boxes.. the playback is an overlay.
You are actually watching a channel still inbehind it generally, and just the pvr playback is overlayed over it.

I could see it having issues with continuting this overlay in PiP (vs the old method)