Picture-in-Picture

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Picture-in-Picture

Here's the thread on the RF remote:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

Although the RF remote has some positives, like RF capability and backlighting, it also has some negatives - like fewer PiP functions (move, Ch+), no Settings button, difficulty in programming it to work with other devices, etc.

The shortcomings of the various remotes can usually be overcome by purchasing a programmable remote like the Harmony, which can often be picked up on sale for around $50.

I Plan to Stick Around

Well I don't know what I did wrong on my first attempt but this worked.  Using the old remote I was able to get PIP with one full screen and the other small / movable box.  

Even though the RF remote has interesting features, as far as navigating the Cable TV, I'm content w/the old one.  Until such time as something better comes along for PIP, I'll stick with this.

What I'd REALLY like is full 50/50 split screen.

I'm an Advisor

Hello @Dllevine,

I am pleased to hear that things worked out for you. 

I second your comment - too much wasted space when using the side-by-side PiP. I wish they used more space - feels cramped even on bigger screens!

I Plan to Stick Around

It's really quite ridiculous how its setup.  There's no reason to squish them up and into small boxes to allow for the guide scroll.  I don't ever scrolll the guide banner when I'm watching tv. I always press guide (because what I'm watching moves to a little box).

This can't be a huge change.  The coding for PIP is likely done at the TV (equipped with dual tuners?).  I imagine it's just the remote or box displaying limitations.  On a 60" TV the PIP is farcical.

I'm an Advisor

Hello @Dllevine,

The PiP code is executed on the cable box, and it probably isn't that hard to change. 

This said, I don't expect any changes to the PiP function until a new box is released - any only if customers make a huge stink about it. Don't think this is high on the priority list for Cisco/Technicolor. 

It really hurt trying to watch the Olympics with side-by-side PiP - hard to make out scores, times and other small text. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Dllevine wrote:
The coding for PIP is likely done at the TV (equipped with dual tuners?). 

No, it's done by any STB that has more than 1 tuner (8300, 8642, 9865).  We all noticed that the PoP (side by side) is much smaller than before. Navigatr made them smaller than they were on RTN, although Rogers denies they are smaller, we all know the truth.  I also have no idea why they are so small, but I don't use PiP/PoP that much, so it doesn't irk me a lot, it's just stupid to waste all that screen real estate.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for keeping me honest there.  I wasn't sure about the coding.

I honestly never would have noticed if not for football season starting.  I use this feverishly ever sunday from September to New years.  

The really annoying thing is I'm paying fo the super sports pak so I can watch all the games, and yet I'm squinting or not using it at all....

*sigh*

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I understand that some people like to use PoP, but in my mind it's better to record and concentrate on one game. You can watch a 3-4 hour game in 1 hour or less each, so 3-4 games in the same time as one "live" game, thereby getting all the action by pausing live TV.  You can even switch from game to game if desired, assuming you have a 9865.

On Sundays I often have a similar "problem" with car/bike races (F1, MotoGP, SuperBike, IndyCar, Forumula E), but I simply record them all and watch them from the recordings (Full Screen, without squinting).

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Dllevine wrote:

What I'd REALLY like is full 50/50 split screen.

Really? I had all the PiP features on on my Samsung Tantus CRT flat screen TV before I had a PVR. Three different size pictures in 4 possible locations. The 50/50 split screen was the default after any power outage and it was the worst because the 2 pictures side by side, full screen, were compressed horizontally and difficult to view.  I used to be a big fan of PiP and always looked for it when shopping for a new TV, but the feature got discontinued on all but a few high end TVs. I especially liked it when we could get Formula 1 racing on both the International and Speed Channel feed and I could switch back and forth during commercials. Now I record everything and almost never watch live TV, so the feature is just a redundant curiosity.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm an Advisor

Hello @OLDYELLR,

I hear what you are saying, but there are times when you can't beat PiP (or PoP) - Olympic and Pan-Am Games come to mind (where you want to experience it live).

I have 2x Hitachi RPTVs (SD), and they have PiP functionality similar to yours.  The good old days...