Picture doesn't fit on the screen

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Picture doesn't fit on the screen

I have used both the # key and the appearance setting to try to solve the problem..

I have a Cisco PVR-digital box. My TV is 1080i HD ready.I have the TV type set to 1080iHD though my cable package is Digital SD. (I don't see a1080i option listed in the appearance settings)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It could be your package.

I dont seen the digital SD anymore.. could be a grandfathered one.. these are the most current.

https://www.rogers.com/web/link/ptvBrowsePackagesFlowBegin?forwardTo=landing

If yours, for example, is like the first.. it does not incude HD channels.  While many of the 'base' channels are in HD now, the whole feed, is likely reduced to SD quality.

I could be wrong on this though.

Thanks.  I have the third choice (VIP Package).  This problem just started a few days ago and is evident  even those that are supposed to broadcast in HD, Even my TV's that are not hooked up to a digital box and were fine until two or three days ago are effected.  Hopefully all will return to normal in time.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I had the digital VIP package and can confirm its NOT an SD package, it is a mix of both SD and HD channels.   What specific channels are you experiencing issues with?  i will tell you if it is a problem or not

I know when I had D-VIP i was getting pleanty of hd channels, some of them are auto hd, some are not, so u have to tune into the 500 range to watch them.

I'll have to sit down sometime in the next day or two and run though the channels I tend to watch.  So far the one's I notice the change most on are CTV Newsnet, The Weather channel, TVO and at time CTV Ottawa. I have noticed that some of the ones channels that have been auto HD now have to be viewd in the stretch mode. I don't think this was the case before, but could be wrong.

One added note, I noticed today while having lunch at McDonalds Smiley Embarassed their reception was the same as what I have been experiencing.

Thanks for your willingness to spread a bit of light on my complaint.

Back again.  there are an lot of channels to check out and the problem I am facing is that sometimes the fill the screen and sometimes not.  OCTV2, TVO, are particularly incosistant with picture size and even using stretch or zoom aspect doesn't seem to solve the problem the still show in the 4:3 ratio.  CTV NewsChannel fit the width, but not the hight of the screen. Even some of the HD channels are at times showing in the 4:3 ratio and at other times they fine.  It is becoming very frustrating, especially since this a a recent problem.

Just checked TSN (channel 407) and the top and bottom are cut off even in the stretch mode. In normal mode it is just a square picture in the middle of the scree.  Zoom 25% fills the scree, but the picture is not as sharp

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The actual problem you are experiencing is not a problem at all.  Even though a channel is an HD channel, there are times where the content aired is in 4:3 ratio or pillar boxed.   I have seen this quite often, perhaps the only source of the program they could obtain was formatted for SD networks and when they air it on their SD network it looks fine but when they air it on their HD network it looks out of place.  This is quite common and there is nothing you can do. Now the next problem is you probably have a Net box 2.0 and the zoom mode on this box is broken to begin with and there is no known solution  you might as well keep it in original aspect ratio "normal" mode and just watch movies in the aspect ratio the original director intended to untill they fix the zoom feature.

if u want to watch TSN in HD tune to channel 506.  note, you need to subscribe to a hd specialty pack or digital vip to receive this hd channel, otherwise u only get tsn in sd.  Also CTV NC is only an SD station so it will never look right on an HDTV, it will either be pillar box or borders on the side.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have seen myself, on a few channels.. they would have to be HD.. as i am sure they wernt distorted.  I should have paid more attention.
But they appeared to have the black bars at the top and bottom.

I have actualy had this as well, on some 'widescreen' movies.

It could be, that the HD aspect being outputed, could be a 16:10 vs a 16:9 aspect output?

Thanks to both of you. I was wondering if that was maybe the issue, but since it just started, or maybe I just noticed, a few days ago,  I thought maybe it was something I did to mess up.   I guess I'll just have to live with it.

Oh,  I don't have thd nextbox, ut have the Cisco HDPVR and I haven't purches the HD package.  I only get HD channels that come with the VIP Digital package.   Anyway, I am greatful for your help.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

cisco hd pvr = netbox. its the same thing pretty much. glad to be of help